What Changes do the Wild need to Make in the Off Season?

hf101

usa-today-8552872.0.jpg

As quoted by Michael Russo of the Star Tribune  "Their high-end guys score against Minnesota, the Wild’s high-end guys don’t against Chicago."

Why?  More Talent - Better Coaching?  A winning attitude?

in the past 30 playoffs games, Koivu, the Wild’s captain and top-2 in ice time among forwards the past three postseasons, has scored two goals and nine assists and is minus-17. In 25 playoff games with the Wild, Pominville has five goals and 10 assists. In 28 playoff games with the Wild, Suter has one goal, nine assists and is minus-18. In the past 17 playoff games dating back to last season with Montreal, Vanek has no goals, six assists and is minus-11.

Against Chicago, in 15 playoff games, Koivu has no goals, two assists and is minus-13, Suter has no goals, five assists and is minus-14, Charlie Coyle has no goals, four assists and is minus-8 and Zach Parise has three goals, five assists and is minus-13. In 12 games against Chicago, Pominville has two goals and three assists.

Against Minnesota in 15 games, Kane has eight goals and 15 points, Marian Hossa 14 assists, 18 points and is plus-12, Patrick Sharp has seven goals, 15 points and is plus-9, Jonathan Toews has three goals and five assists and Duncan Keith has nine points and is plus-12.

Name Parise Captain
Pair Dumba with Suter.
Move Koivu to the 3rd line. giving the 2nd line to Coyle, Niederreiter and Zucker
Trade Vanek. -- what a mistake the Wild made in signing his lazy arse.  

Improve face off wins.
Decide if Yeo has what it takes to move this team forward.

Vanek....its nice to know we're not the only team with horrible contracts for useless  players.

Suter and Parise are obviously both good players. But I'm also glad we lost out on those bidding wars. 

What changes do the Wild need to make? Great question!

For starters they need to trade the Flyers Zach Parise and in return they will send VLC and Umberger back. 

Two for one special.....

Scratch that, I just saw that he is like three years into a 13 year deal....

Great player, but whoa that is just nuts. 

But I'm also glad we lost out on those bidding wars.

Has any team really come out of a "bidding war" on top? I'm sure there are a few examples, but I have to believe they are few and far between compared to the potential disasters of FA signings.

Hossa to Chicago? Possibly

But it points out that building a team happens from the ground up, not the top down. Hossa was added to a team that had Toews/Kane/Keith/etc. from their own drafting.

Great player, but whoa that is just nuts.

It will be interesting to see how many of those megadeals work out for the teams that signed them.

Koivu is a number two center at this point of his career- period.

Granlund has proven that he is not as good as he was projected, he is a number two or number three, nothing more.

They do not have a number one center in the organization. Lots of top nine wingers, Niederreiter, Parise, Pomminvile, Vanek, Coyle and Zucker are as strong as any in the game.

The big boys, Vanek, Pomminville, and Parise are untradeable or at least they would not fetch what the team needs.

To me they need to offer one of their young d-men like Scandella who I really like along with one of the tradeable young wingers such as Coyle for that number one center. It is such a glaring hole that it is ridiculous.

Either that or go after one of the Predator free agent centers, Fisher or Ribiero. All they cost is money and you can retain the talent around him.

Ribiero is a pig, my God he cannot go an entire season without something popping up about him molesting a babysitter or doing Coke or trashing a Denny's and then his wife chimes in, but the sucker is a pure passer who goes for fifty cents on the dollar because of his personal life. If he can fit under the cap I say go for it. He may be a low end number one center but he is miles ahead of anything the Wild are playing in that role right now. Yeah I know Coyle played some at Center this year but that was desperation, he is a winger first and foremost. Get this team a number one center and all will be right with the world.

Koivu is a number two center at this point of his career- period.

Granlund has proven that he is not as good as he was projected, he is a number two or number three, nothing more.

They do not have a number one center in the organization. Lots of top nine wingers, Niederreiter, Parise, Pomminvile, Vanek, Coyle and Zucker are as strong as any in the game.

The big boys, Vanek, Pomminville, and Parise are untradeable or at least they would not fetch what the team needs.

To me they need to offer one of their young d-men like Scandella who I really like along with one of the tradeable young wingers such as Coyle for that number one center. It i

Has any team really come out of a "bidding war" on top? I'm sure there are a few examples, but I have to believe they are few and far between compared to the potential disasters of FA signings.

Hossa to Chicago? Possibly

But it points out that building a team happens from the ground up, not the top down. Hossa was added to a team that had Toews/Kane/Keith/etc. from their own drafting.

It will be interesting to see how many of those megadeals work out for the teams that signed them.

I do not think many teams will make out on the positive side, unless the team wins a cup during the players tenure. 

I truly believe (all homerness aside) that the Flyers would have won a cup had Pronger stayed healthy. 2012 was a good year ripe for the picking had they got past the Devils. 

I do not think many teams will make out on the positive side, unless the team wins a cup during the players tenure. 

I truly believe (all homerness aside) that the Flyers would have won a cup had Pronger stayed healthy. 2012 was a good year ripe for the picking had they got past the Devils. 

Pronger's deal isn't so much the amount or the length, but that he signed it at 35+

And - for me - it's hard to say that a team that got bounced 4-1 was thisclose to winning :)

YMMV.

I look back to the "Big Three ZOMG Totes Must-Have First Line #1 Centers" year. Nobody won with them. Nobody. Briere was probably the best. Gomez? Drury? Bubkus.

All the hype. All the desperation. Big deals. Long length. Total commitment. All of it and nothing to show for it.

I think, if anything, the league has gotten to a point where you have to draft well and win young, because by the time you have to pay the Crosbys, Malkins, Toweses, Kanes, etc. of the world, you can't afford the supporting cast they need.

I think, if anything, the league has gotten to a point where you have to draft well and win young, because by the time you have to pay the Crosbys, Malkins, Toweses, Kanes, etc. of the world, you can't afford the supporting cast they need.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. I'd say that Chicago's high-paid players know this and see the window narrowing. They look motivated by it. 

The other lesson from this year seems to be that you can't lock $7M up in a goalie. Just have two lower paid guys (1A, 1B) and go with the one that hopefully gets hot.

I'd say that Chicago's high-paid players know this and see the window narrowing. They look motivated by it.

The other lesson from this year seems to be that you can't lock $7M up in a goalie. Just have two lower paid guys (1A, 1B) and go with the one that hopefully gets hot.

Boston is a cautionary tale - the difference being at least they have a Cup to show for it.

Goalie is a weird situation as it is the most important player on the ice - the only one that can really stop you from losing - but as you note can't be the mostly highly paid player because he really can't win by himself.

Teams must develop their own talent that can be supplemented by solid FA signings and trades. Simply bringing in a bunch of FAs just isn't going to cut it.

Homer had committed to this idea with the Richards/Crater core, and then blew the damn thing up chasing the dragon. Again.

I look at the roster today and you see Giroux as home grown and developed. Read, Raffl and Bellemare to an extent. Couturier (picked with a traded pick). Zac Rinaldo(!?!?!?)

That's not exactly a Toews/Kane/Keith group. Or a Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Letang, Or a Doughty/Quick/Kopitar.

The Bruins' top scorers when they won? Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand - all Boston picks drafted and developed. And they brought in Tim Thomas from the wilds of Finland (not quite the same as a Raffl/Bellemare addition).

Then you have Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom/Franzen/Kronwall/Holmstrom for the Red Wings and Perry/Getzlaf/MacDonald for the Ducks and Cole/Staal/Ward for the Canes.

That's all the Cup winners back to the 04-05 lockout.

Name Parise Captain
Pair Dumba with Suter.
Move Koivu to the 3rd line. giving the 2nd line to Coyle, Niederreiter and Zucker

Improve face off wins.

The bolded are ALL good starting points.

Jonas Brodin has long been the steady D partner for Ryan Suter, but an issue there could be that Brodin is so similar to Suter (minus the experience) that if teams key in on one guy, they have the formula to containing or beating the other guy.

Mat Dumba brings a more dynamic, aggressive type of defense that contrasts Suter's or Brodin's calm cool and collected style.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Mikko Koivu is NOT a number one center. He can possibly be a 2-C...but ideally, he makes an elite 3-C if complimented with intelligent, scoring/checking type wingers (Niedderreiter or Chris Stewart types).

Right now, unless Charlie Coyle steps up though, the Wild don't have a real good 2C....Granlund is the obvious 1-C.

So until Coyle can run with the 2-C role consistently, Koivu will have to be the number two center.....unless there is one out there to be had (give Tampa Bay a call and see what they'd like for Valteri Filppula perhaps...??)

Trade Vanek.

Uh huh. But you know, the Wild made their bed there, and now they gotta lie in it.

I really don't see anyone taking Vanek off Minnesota's hands.

2 more seasons. Just gotta deal with it.

Improve face off wins.

Yep, that would help a bunch. First possession from puck drops will lead to more generated chances.

Deciding on Mike Yeo.

Mike Yeo has really done a good job with development of certain players, however, I DO feel he doesn't always look at the big picture.

He often benches certain players for long periods of time and has a blatant dislike of certain types of players (big bruising grinders for instance) and I believe that coaching style not only alienates him from certain players on the team, but limits his options and flexibility on game style played as games move along.

Nate Prosser, Ryan Carter, Sean Bergenheim are good examples of players who probably should have seen more ice time in the post season.

Others like Stephan Veilleux (put on waivers then relegated to the minors), Christian Folin, and Justin Falk (gone), I believe should have been given longer looks during the season....and certain other players like Matt Cooke and even Justin Fontaine, given lesser roles.

For all things Yeo has done right with this team, I feel he has room for improvement in some areas.

Hard for a player to be ready to play when he isn't being utilized at least semi-regularly......plus it will make players feel like they aren't as valued.

IMO, Mike Yeo can improve on his overall team personality management.

The Wild, however, will need to decide whether that's a good enough reason to make a switch at the head coach position.

Making Zach Parise captain, while making sense, honestly, I think is irrelevant.

All stripping Koivu of the C will do is create a bit of ill will in the locker room.

This team doesn't need that.

To me, more often than not, the C is a 'prop'.

The team KNOWS who its leaders are.

They don't need a guy wearing a C or A to tell them that.

I say leave that alone as it is until Koivu no longer is with the team (or does something so egregious that it warrants him being stripped) and let the players decided amongst themselves who's examples and voice they hear outside of the coaching staff.

They need a legit top line center....Grandlund is a perfect #2....but not a go to star center. Coyle and Zucker were both great draft picks. Stay the course, be patient and make a few changes.

• 1 month later...

Niklas Backstrom's uncertain future and its affect on the Wild's cap

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/niklas-backstrom-s-uncertain-future-and-its-affect-on-the-wild-s-cap-202040979.html

So there is a 2nd buyout window that will open if a team has a player go to arbitration?? I didn't know that but it says so in the article...anyone know?

Sad for Nik Backstrom.

He has been such a professional for Minnesota over the years.

While I never really considered him a Stanley Cup caliber goaltender, he fit the system the Wild play extremely well and with a bit more scoring on the team over the years, maybe he would have more playoff games under his belt.

Never got into trouble, never caused the team embarrassment....just went about his business, and even when he had the opportunity to latch on with a contender before signing his last contract, he chose to stay with the Wild, the only team he's known at the NHL level, because he wanted to win with them.

And now, due to a combination of injury and age, he has in effect, become an albatross to the Wild's cap space.

Not the way a competitor like him should go out, but that is the case.

As for how this affects the Wild's plans for changing the makeup of the team, well, sure, it affects it.

Almost 4 mil in cap hit is an effect.

Could mean Minnesota won't be able to offer guys like the mentioned Erik Haula and Chrsitian Folin bigger contracts, or perhaps one or the other would simply need to be let walk.

On the other hand, while I think Folin could be a decent bottom pair defenseman (he certainly has a good blue line shot), Minnesota is still sitting well on defense with the current guys they have, so I don't think it would be a major blow if Folin can't get re-signed.

As for Haula, besides his one nice season he had year before last where he showed flashes of what he COULD be, I simply have not been overly impressed with him.

Granted, he is just 24, but again, if the Wild aren't able to re-sign him due to the Backstrom cap hit, it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

With any luck, perhaps one of Jordan Schroeder (current roster) or a guy in the minors can do what Haula had been expected to do.

Minny has young centers such as Brady Brassart, Christoph Bertschy, and Jared Knight who may get a chance at the big club should Haula not be around.

I think the Wild addressed the more pressing needs first.

That was stabilizing the goaltending by signing Devan Dubnyk (which in turn should light a fire under Darcy Kuemper to either improve or be out when his contract is over), and signing Mikael Granlund to his bridge contract while the team decides whether Granlund will be worth the big bucks as a top line center when that time comes.

Minnesota will also be looking very closely at guys like Charlie Coyle, Nino Niedderreiter, and Jason Zucker to see if they continue to get better and if they too would be keepers when their time comes...which is really just a season or two away for these guys.

Sad for Nik Backstrom.

He has been such a professional for Minnesota over the years.

While I never really considered him a Stanley Cup caliber goaltender, he fit the system the Wild play extremely well and with a bit more scoring on the team over the years, maybe he would have more playoff games under his belt.

Never got into trouble, never caused the team embarrassment....just went about his business, and even when he had the opportunity to latch on with a contender before signing his last contract, he chose to stay with the Wild, the only team he's known at the NHL level, because he wanted to win with them.

And now, due to a combination of injury and age, he has in effect, become an albatross to the Wild's cap space.

Not the way a competitor like him should go out, but that is the case.

As for how this affects the Wild's plans for changing the makeup of the team, well, sure, it affects it.

Almost 4 mil in cap hit is an effect.

Could mean Minnesota won't be able to offer guys like the mentioned Erik Haula and Chrsitian Folin bigger contracts, or perhaps one or the other would simply need to be let walk.

On the other hand, while I think Folin could be a decent bottom pair defenseman (he certainly has a good blue line shot), Minnesota is still sitting well on defense with the current guys they have, so I don't think it would be a major blow if Folin can't get re-signed.

As for Haula, besides his one nice season he had year before last where he showed flashes of what he COULD be, I simply have not been overly impressed with him.

Granted, he is just 24, but again, if the Wild aren't able to re-sign him due to the Backstrom cap hit, it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

With any luck, perhaps one of Jordan Schroeder (current roster) or a guy in the minors can do what Haula had been expected to do.

Minny has young centers such as Brady Brassart, Christoph Bertschy, and Jared Knight who may get a chance at the big club should Haula not be around.

I think the Wild addressed the more pressing needs first.

That was stabilizing the goaltending by signing Devan Dubnyk (which in turn should light a fire under Darcy Kuemper to either improve or be out when his contract is over), and signing Mikael Granlund to his bridge contract while the team decides whether Granlund will be worth the big bucks as a top line center when that time comes.

Minnesota will also be looking very closely at guys like Charlie Coyle, Nino Niedderreiter, and Jason Zucker to see if they continue to get better and if they too would be keepers when their time comes...which is really just a season or two away for these guys.

We'll take Folin off your hands, Flyers need a righthand shot who can play now.

But someone would have to be traded or waived first....Manning to the Phantoms is fine by me...

usa-today-8552872.0.jpg

As quoted by Michael Russo of the Star Tribune  "Their high-end guys score against Minnesota, the Wild’s high-end guys don’t against Chicago."

Why?  More Talent - Better Coaching?  A winning attitude?

Name Parise Captain
Pair Dumba with Suter.

Improve face off wins.

Well so much for getting Folin from you guys.......

Wild re-sign Folin to two-year, reportedly one-way deal

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/wild-re-sign-folin-to-two-year-reportedly-one-way-deal/

We'll take Folin off your hands, Flyers need a righthand shot who can play now.

But someone would have to be traded or waived first....Manning to the Phantoms is fine by me...

Christian Folin now officially off the market: Wild give him a two year contract.

NBC Sports:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/wild-re-sign-folin-to-two-year-reportedly-one-way-deal/

Guess they figure somehow they will fit him in despite the Backstrom hit on the cap.

Of course, if Backstrom really is that bad, LTIR is a possibility for temporary cap relief.

No word yet on forwards Erik Haula.

Someone in the comments section of the NBC article alluded to a Jared Spurgeon trade to not only free up a defense spot (Wild would have 8 NHL D-men with Folin), but also give themselves cap space that way.

I've long felt Spurgeon could be trade bait, not because he isn't very good, but because of his salary vs his size (very small for a defenseman) vs. the fact he has been injury prone the last couple seasons (he seems to need time off for some minor injury or another every season).

On the flip side, when he is healthy, he is very fast, very offense oriented, and really isn't too bad as a defender either.

He LITERALLY is like having a 4th forward out there, yet he can turn things around and become a solid D-man to break up plays, and, despite his small frame, deliver big hits as well.

We will see.

Christian Folin now officially off the market: Wild give him a two year contract.

NBC Sports:

Guess they figure somehow they will fit him in despite the Backstrom hit on the cap.

Of course, if Backstrom really is that bad, LTIR is a possibility for temporary cap relief.

No word yet on forwards Erik Haula.

Someone in the comments section of the NBC article alluded to a Jared Spurgeon trade to not only free up a defense spot (Wild would have 8 NHL D-men with Folin), but also give themselves cap space that way.

I've long felt Spurgeon could be trade bait, not because he isn't very good, but because of his salary vs his size (very small for a defenseman) vs. the fact he has been injury prone the last couple seasons (he seems to need time off for some minor injury or another every season).

On the flip side, when he is healthy, he is very fast, very offense oriented, and really isn't too bad as a defender either.

He LITERALLY is like having a 4th forward out there, yet he can turn things around and become a solid D-man to break up plays, and, despite his small frame, deliver big hits as well.

We will see.

Yeah i just posted that and just because he is signed doesn't mean he is off the market....but yes i agree he probaly isn't going anywhere...damn i just want a right hand shot for the blueline....one not named Luke....

Yeah i just posted that and just because he is signed doesn't mean he is off the market....but yes i agree he probaly isn't going anywhere...damn i just want a right hand shot for the blueline....one not named Luke....

We were typing at the same time, I believe.

But since I am always detail oriented, my posts take a while more to get posted. ;)

Hmm...interesting point though: a sign n trade maybe on Folin?

Minnesota figures, "Hey, sign the guy, then see if we can flip him for some other assets from another team"? 

Hadn't considered that, but possible, I suppose.

I'd say Spurgeon though, despite his much better overall abilities, may be the guy on his way out, if indeed the Wild intend to trade a D-man.

Due mainly, like I said, to his injury proneness and his $2.67M cap hit (which isn't too bad in itself, but he will be an RFA after this season and will probably command at LEAST another $2M or so added to his AAV).

And a Jared Spurgeon at even $4.6M is still a nice deal given what he can do, but Minnesota is cutting close to the cap.

We were typing at the same time, I believe.

But since I am always detail oriented, my posts take a while more to get posted. ;)

Hmm...interesting point though: a sign n trade maybe on Folin?

Minnesota figures, "Hey, sign the guy, then see if we can flip him for some other assets from another team"? 

Hadn't considered that, but possible, I suppose.

I'd say Spurgeon though, despite his much better overall abilities, may be the guy on his way out, if indeed the Wild intend to trade a D-man.

Due mainly, like I said, to his injury proneness and his $2.67M cap hit (which isn't too bad in itself, but he will be an RFA after this season and will probably command at LEAST another $2M or so added to his AAV).

And a Jared Spurgeon at even $4.6M is still a nice deal given what he can do, Minnesota is cutting close to the cap.

Not saying you guys are going trade him...just thinking aloud i don't know how many guys you have under contract most teams go into the season with 8 Dmen.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I am numb that the Wild have not addressed the number one center position at all. I simply do not understand it.

Granlund is good but is a number two. Coyle is a wing playing center out of necessity and because of so many wings on the team. Koivu is slipping and aging, he is a number two at best at this point.

I don't look at guys like Pomminville and Vanek as busts, I look and see the desperate need of a playmaker in the middle to get them going.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW

I have looked at the transactions made this offseason, not a lot of top tier centers on the move. They could have signed a Vermette or a Richards but they already have that. So never mind. For better or worse they seem stuck with the centers they have. Maybe Koivu will find a spark or Granlund another gear.

@TropicalFruitGirl26I am numb that the Wild have not addressed the number one center position at all. I simply do not understand it.Granlund is good but is a number two. Coyle is a wing playing center out of necessity and because of so many wings on the team. Koivu is slipping and aging, he is a number two at best at this point.I don't look at guys like Pomminville and Vanek as busts, I look and see the desperate need of a playmaker in the middle to get them going.UPON FURTHER REVIEWI have looked at the transactions made this offseason, not a lot of top tier centers on the move. They could have signed a Vermette or a Richards but they already have that. So never mind. For better or worse they seem stuck with the centers they have. Maybe Koivu will find a spark or Granlund another gear.

Great point Yave...Coyle is a center i thought but don't they play him on the wing?

Didn't realize Koivu was that old....yikes...very thin down the middle...

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I am numb that the Wild have not addressed the number one center position at all. I simply do not understand it.

Granlund is good but is a number two. Coyle is a wing playing center out of necessity and because of so many wings on the team. Koivu is slipping and aging, he is a number two at best at this point.

I don't look at guys like Pomminville and Vanek as busts, I look and see the desperate need of a playmaker in the middle to get them going.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW

I have looked at the transactions made this offseason, not a lot of top tier centers on the move. They could have signed a Vermette or a Richards but they already have that. So never mind. For better or worse they seem stuck with the centers they have. Maybe Koivu will find a spark or Granlund another gear.

Well, to the Wild's credit, they did select this kid in the first round, who certainly looks like a possible #1 center. The rest of the guys can hold the fort until the kid arrives...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=98793&year=2015

I kind of like this strategy, letting the rest of the team mature and grow (they are still learning how to win in the playoffs)....and instead of using 6-8 mill in cap space, which would tare the core group apart, and basically be a band aid, they are just being patient. If they feel this kid is the real deal, they are on the right track.

@yave1964

@jammer2

Guys, I realize the jury is still out on Mikael Granlund being a top line center (he may very well be a 2C at best), but let's not forget this is a 23 yr old kid we are talking about.

He seems to have been around for quite a while because he has been playing with pros (starting in the Finnish Elite League) since he was a teen ager....but make no mistake, he is still a relative kid.

Even as a teen in the Fin league he was about a PPG or better player, same in the AHL once he started to play in North America.

Now..he WAS fast tracked to the NHL where, production-wise, he has not seen the same kinds of numbers...but keeping in mind that at the time he started to play in the NHL, much more was put on his shoulders (such as the defensive side of the game AND the more physical aspects of it), which he struggled with early on, but I must say, given his short time to adjust from Europe, to the AHL, to the NHL, he actually has done a pretty good job in trying to not only be a complete NHL player, but a TOP level NHL player.

Much work to do still, but I think the Wild did the right thing giving this guy a bridge deal like they did.

Word was about a season ago, that Granlund's agent was seeking an immediate big money, long term deal....which of course, would have meant the Wild would have taken a major gamble on whether this guy would ultimately pan out as a top six, much less, top LINE, center.

This way, they can see where his game is at when he is 25.....then decide if he will be all they think he will be.

Also, as Yave pointed out....look at he selections for top line centers available. Just not that many to be had unless you are going to part with some key pieces of your core to acquire one.

Obviously, at that point, it'd be taking a step or two backwards, just to take one forward: I.E. getting nowhere!

As jammer said, Granlund IS a number one pick (9th overall) and the team simply cannot give up on him so soon.

As for other centers on the team, yes, Charlie Coyle is a center who has played lots of wing.

Maybe this coming season, he will see more time at center. I've noticed that despite the extra responsibility of being a pivot, he seems to be more engaged in the game whenever he HAS been put at center.

In a perfect scenario, the top three centers on the team would look like: Granlund 1C, Coyle 2C, Koivu 3C.

Of course, both Granlund and Coyle have to prove they belong at those spots for good, and in the meantime, a guy like Mikko Koivu, who I personally think would be an elite 3C, can shuttle between the the 1C and 2C positions as needed.

And BTW, Koivu is NOT that old. Only 32.

Problem with him is, he is being paid like a 1C, but honestly doesn't have the makeup or the production numbers of one, and thus draws lots of negativity because of it.

What he IS, is an elite checking, playmaking center with good leadership skills, and the ability to contribute some on offense as well. Again, elite 3C, IMO.

But back to Granlund, he went from being a somewhat timid, perimeter, "typical Euro player" to a more hard nosed, go-to-the-dirty-areas, checking type aggressive scorer and playmaker, in VERY short order.

For the Wild to make that long term committment and for Granlund to officially put himself on the top line center map, he needs to continue to play that way AND start finding ways to put the puck in the net HIMSELF more often.

Hence the two year bridge deal.

Archived