Looking at Zac Rinaldo

A YEAR IN REVIEW: ZAC RINALDO

Matt Bernot+ | 05.11.15 | FeaturesHockey | 0 Comments
16628303352_ab44f34b57_o-1024x768.jpg

Caption: Photo credit: Amy Irvin (38Photography)

Zac Rinaldo is one of the most polarizing Flyers players. On one side, the advance stat users point to his lack of production and high penalty totals as being a net loss, while others point to his hits and fights as being energy providing. The fact is, Rinaldo isn’t that good and he’s quite replaceable.

Rinaldo-Stats-1024x63.png

Via Behind the Net

Dashboard-1.png

Agitation

Zac Rinaldo was an ineffective agitator. By taking 2.1 Pens/60 compared to drawing 1.3 Pens/60, as shown in the Behind the Net graph, Rinaldo was a net loss in penalty differential for the Flyers. Because of that, he put the Flyers on the PK more often than not. As such, he failed in his role as an agitator. The penalties may have even been reputation based, but that doesn’t matter. If Rinaldo has a target on his back from the referees, he’s going to take PIMs for existing, and the fact is, regardless of whether or not they’re deserved, the Flyers can’t have that target dragging them down.

Shot Suppression

Zac Rinaldo’s shot suppression was actually surprisingly good. He falls above the third line cutoff for suppressing shots and scoring chances by opposing players. In fact, it’s this ability that probably is what led to Rinaldo getting a look on the penalty kill earlier this season. Toss in the fact that his low PDO suggests he was unlucky this season, mostly on the shooting side of things, and it’s possible that Rinaldo has some innate hockey ability buried underneath the lack of discipline. To be honest, his Own the Puck graph was most surprising, if it wasn’t clearly marked Zac Rinaldo, it would have been very easy to assume the graph belonged to former Flyer Adam Hall.

General Hockey Ability

Rinaldo’s not a scorer, even though his individual shot number isn’t that bad. He’s not an agitator, due to being too much of a net loss on the penalty differential. His PK experiment failed, so he’s not quite the next Adam Hall. This leads leads to the last question: what is Zac Rinaldo then? If he screws his head on straight, he might amount to being a consistent fourth line player who might be able to take a shift or two on the PK when one of the regular PK guys is in the box. On a Cup Contending team, it’s doubtful that Rinaldo is anything other than a spare forward who only plays when someone is injured. Luckily Rinaldo’s contract is something that can be buried in the AHL without penalty. If a team decides to trade for him, let them hand over a late round pick for him. He’s replaceable, so unless he turns things around and salvages his reputation to avoid reputation calls, get rid of him. Of course, given his lengthy suspension this season alone for an incident against Kris Letang of the Penguins, it’s highly unlikely he ever repairs the reputation.

Rinaldo Final Grade: 2

The failed agitation and ineffective play just outweigh the shot suppression far too much

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He finished 377th in scoring by forwards. That means theres 2 guys worse than him in that department. So he has that going for him.

If Homer was still GM, Rinaldo could have used that fact to negotiate a raise ;)

He finished 377th in scoring by forwards. That means theres 2 guys worse than him in that department. So he has that going for him.

Who in God's name are those two unskilled bastards???

Good lord the Flyers are probably going to target them......

....that is just a joke Hexy don't do it!!!

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I see he's averaging a solid 2 goals per year over 4 seasons. So if he stays healthy and maintains the same level of "production" for 21 more years, he's definitely got a shot to reach 50.

If Homer was still GM, Rinaldo could have used that fact to negotiate a raise ;)

Oh, c'mon now - Homer'd be asking who the other two guys' agents were.

#homercoaster

:ph34r:

instead Hextall locked him up for 2 more :ph34r:

It's funny because it's true.

:hocky:

Looks like we have another 14 page discussion on Zac going!!!!

Damn damn you MC!!!!!

Just what we need to pass the time!!!!

Sorry man!   Thought the article spelled out how bad he really is and it is boring around here :D

at least he brings energy right! :hocky:

I realize the guy is replaceable....but without Zac, the team is Simmonds away from having no backbone....so ok...replace Zac, find a better option, but please make the replacement just as tough and dangerous has one of his hits can be. I fear a team with no backbone....I don't want or need goons, but the thought of the Flyers being pushed around makes me ill.

I realize the guy is replaceable....but without Zac, the team is Simmonds away from having no backbone....so ok...replace Zac, find a better option, but please make the replacement just as tough and dangerous has one of his hits can be. I fear a team with no backbone....I don't want or need goons, but the thought of the Flyers being pushed around makes me ill.

Hopefully they resign White. He's got plenty of backbone.

That is why you bring White...he is like Zac but can actually play and score...and is damn good on faceoffs...

You might be able to get away with him as your 13th forward, who can fill in on short notice, but he should not be dressing regularly. He can hit and fight, but that's it. If you're on the 4th line and can't score or creature much offense, you have to be able to contribute somewhere else, such as solid defensive play (which he doesn't have) where you can kill penalties (which he also doesn't do). He belongs in the AHL to be honest. 

I don't understand why Hextall was so horny to re-sign him

We already have someone on this roster that does everything we hoped Rinaldo could have developed into (and then some) with White, and I'll be very confused if Hextall let's him walk on July 1st.

The problem is, he's really the only one on this team that has balls though (aside from Simmonds). However, if Hextall can do the right thing with this roster, that shouldn't be the case.

Besides White there are other Flyers with backbone- Voracek made it pretty clear this season that he's not going to take any crap. Raffl is another guy who will stand up for himself. And those guys are out there for regular shifts, not just 8 minutes a night. And they don't make a habit of putting the team short handed. And next season there will also be Gudas. In the not too distant future, Morin. And maybe the Flyers draft Crouse, that's plenty of toughness.

Archived