Hakstol = Rebuild

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not think this is even remotely a sign of a rebuild nor is there a need for one. Anyone thinking that will be disappointed I'm sorry to say. Flyers fan's are inherently inpatient and looking at the D it's easy to think "rebuild" but it really isn't needed. A working overhaul on D and a winger is all. The overhaul on D is actually kinda set anyway. The next few seasons will see the guys we want gone moved out and the kids stepping in while keeping a mix of the current blue liners we already have. In the mean time I believe the team will get better this year, even if they had hired freakin' Stevens to bake the cakes...

Hextall actually might be crazy like a fox. No re-cycled coaches. Completely new thinking and a new identity and he didn't get wrapped up in the hoopla of the big names AND the fan/media expectations that would come with the big names AND the media circus that would have happened if Babcock or even McLellan would have brought. It's quietly going to be a new identity without all the hoopla as I say. The Flyers can "fly" under the radar this upcoming season and not one of the other 29 teams will have a NHL "book" on what this guy is gonna do.

There, that's my spin on it and the best i can muster after my initial head spinning...

They were already rebuilding and focusing on youth before this movie. If you think this is indicating they are going to start over from this point going forward, you're wrong. They are committed to the youth movement and were before today. That's kind of Hextall's thing.

I am not so sure about a rebuild as to me a re-build =  overhauling the roster i.e. dumping all of the core players.  The switch of a bench boss to someone totally outside the organization = the elusive "Fresh Perspective" that many have been calling for.  I am not implying that Hacksy will be good or work out for us but I don't see this as a re-build in the traditional sense.

@Poulin20

yeah, i feel similarly about this...now if on draft day somehow we happen to have the # 1 pick and no Giroux plus a couple of other good players... then we'll know for sure whether we're in a rebuild or not.  

Low to no expectations for Coach Hakstol takes some pressure off, and obviously his prior job had him developing young players.

The Flyers are always interesting, I'll give them that.

It will be interesting to see who Hakstol hires for assistant coaches.  I would like them to keep Gord Murphy.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them hire a recommended scout from Hakstol's experience.

i can see some players on this roster gone depending on how well they play can defensively, since it was said, he's defensive first coach, it's possible giroux, vinny, macdonald could be goners, just my opinion. hextall wants guys that fit the coaches system, if giroux, vinny etc dont fit, i can see them gone.

because i would rather see players that fit the roster/system and start winning then having putting players in square pegs and have more losing seasons.

@briere48

Giroux just helped Canada win gold by being (A) one of their best players (B) the best faceoff man on the team © on the top pk unit ((D) on the top pp unit. 

I know he isn't Euro, but maybe watch him play...he a fecking great player...all around.

How the hell do you group Giroux in with Vinnie and MacDonald?????

@briere48

Giroux just helped Canada win gold by being (A) one of their best players (B) the best faceoff man on the team © on the top pk unit ((D) on the top pp unit. 

I know he isn't Euro, but maybe watch him play...he a fecking great player...all around.

How the hell do you group Giroux in with Vinnie and MacDonald?????

It's tough being a fighter...

I don't think this says "rebuild," although I understand the statement.

To me, it says more that this is a 2-3 year process and they are going to be patient with that process.   I guess I balk at "rebuild" because that would indicate to me that they're about to start over and begin the process now.  As others have said, the process already began.  They just brought in someone they felt would be patient with inserting quite a few kids into important roles rather than a seasoned guy who would be more likely to go with vets due to some real or imagined need to get'er done NOW.

A:  Stupidity

B:  See A

C:  Both A and B

D:  B but not A

E.  A but not B

F:  All of the above not to include B through E but including C and D.

Because I'm bored.

The best guy for the job is not always the best known. Kinda refreshing to not have recycled garbage laid at my feet and ...quick....get the lipstick..the pig is acting up.....I'm not gonna pretend I know if this is good or bad....but I'm ok with it.

The best guy for the job is not always the best known. Kinda refreshing to not have recycled garbage laid at my feet and ...quick....get the lipstick..the pig is acting up.....I'm not gonna pretend I know if this is good or bad....but I'm ok with it.

Nobody had heard of Mike Keenan or John Cooper when they were hired as NHL coaches. Let's hope Hakstol can be as successful!

Archived