Biggest Hakstol Concerns?

King Knut

mine isn't dealing with millionaire pros or even the speed of the pro game rendering an effective college system inadequate.

It's Philly. Let's not forget this guy was coaching in North Dakota.

Our press, the pressure to win, the nut bag fans, the criticism... How's this guy going to deal with all that?

How's his family going to adjust to living in (I assume) South Jersey as opposed to North Dakota?

I guess they could always put them in West Chester or Bucks county to give them a more rural feel, but the traffic to get in to work then...

I don't know. It's a cultural shift. This guy's spent his entire career in North Dakota. I have hop il work out, but I'm a little concerned.

@King Knut  The more I digest the Hakstol move, the more I like it. The guy has coached 20....count'em 20 present day NHL players. Some of them, the hardest workers in the league. In 10 years, 7 Frozen Fours...that is incredible. To me, he looks like a no nonsense straight up kinda guy who does not want to be your buddy...he wants to win. This is the *exact* thing the Flyers needed. They needed someone with a vision and would be focused on the main prize. Thing is, this guy is gonna have full backing from Hexy...if you are not on board with his plan/message, it will be bye-bye real quick....this team needed that also.

I think its going to be dealing with egos. Textual made it a point of saying it will be no doubt who is in charge and that is refreshing since the coaching carousel can sometimes send a message that the players will outlast the coach so they can tune him out more easily.

I think it will help that he is smart and the players want to win too so they probably are going to be hungry for strategy after the "try harder" philosophy from last year.

Apparently he is intense and all that but apparently he is also honest, fair, and cares personally about his players. Accountability is important in whatever job you do and I know I wouldn't mind working for a hard ass if he was honest and fair and I knew he cared.

Those types of people can help you find another level to perform at and every NHL player wants that.

@King Knut  The more I digest the Hakstol move, the more I like it. The guy has coached 20....count'em 20 present day NHL players. Some of them, the hardest workers in the league. In 10 years, 7 Frozen Fours...that is incredible. To me, he looks like a no nonsense straight up kinda guy who does not want to be your buddy...he wants to win. This is the *exact* thing the Flyers needed. They needed someone with a vision and would be focused on the main prize. Thing is, this guy is gonna have full backing from Hexy...if you are not on board with his plan/message, it will be bye-bye real quick....this team needed that also.

Yeah great post. I was waiting to hear how you felt about it.

mine isn't dealing with millionaire pros or even the speed of the pro game rendering an effective college system inadequate.

It's Philly. Let's not forget this guy was coaching in North Dakota.

Our press, the pressure to win, the nut bag fans, the criticism... How's this guy going to deal with all that?

How's his family going to adjust to living in (I assume) South Jersey as opposed to North Dakota?

I guess they could always put them in West Chester or Bucks county to give them a more rural feel, but the traffic to get in to work then...

I don't know. It's a cultural shift. This guy's spent his entire career in North Dakota. I have hop il work out, but I'm a little concerned.

He'll be ok hockey is like a religion in North Dakota...they have a rabid fan base as well...in fact it maybe more pressue filled there because what other sports do they have???

In Philly you have the Phillies, Sixers and Eagles to take some focus off of the Flyers.

No worries for myself but i can't speak for others.

I'm concerned with how close the two names sound. Am i the only one worried we're going to have the odd game with Ron Hextall behind the bench while our coach is making trades and signing contracts?  :ph34r:

I'm concerned with how close the two names sound. Am i the only one worried we're going to have the odd game with Ron Hextall behind the bench while our coach is making trades and signing contracts?  :ph34r:

Biggest concern is probably that Hextall hired Hakstol in the first place simply because he thought he was a long lost relative of some kind.  :P

t's Philly. Let's not forget this guy was coaching in North Dakota.

He just exudes this "I'm in charge" kinda vibe. I think this dude is gonna handle the Philly press just fine. To start out, he's gonna play everything close to the vest....and then maybe, we might see a bit of personality out of him....but my initial reaction is he's quite reserved, which will not fuel any fires the Philly press like to start.

He also looks like the no nonsense type, but he is dealing with a lot of millionaires, so you can't go all Mike Keenan to start off. The part I like, he looks like a disciplinarian, and I'm excited about that. No more accepting defeat, no more ice time if you refuse to play the system (wondering just what that entails....any clue people?) Is he defense first, or run and gun...or a combo...something in between....or will the roster dictate how he deploys the troops?

I would love to see him give Carchidi the stare after Sam asks one of his questions where he doesn't care what the answer is.

Or better yet i'd like to see him tell them all to **** off.   and then add some bs about it being a" North Dakota thing".

I hate the Flyers beat writers, i hope the relationship is antagonistic as in " you'll get no access"  from the start.

I would love to see him give Carchidi the stare after Sam asks one of his questions where he doesn't care what the answer is.

Or better yet i'd like to see him tell them all to **** off.   and then add some bs about it being a" North Dakota thing".

I hate the Flyers beat writers, i hope the relationship is antagonistic as in " you'll get no access"  from the start.

Honestly, you know these tools are gonna start in on him...pushing like little kids to find the right button to push. He might as well make it an adversial relationship right from the get go....Carchidi and TImmy P can go pound salt. Here's to hoping he grants Metzler and Hughes unlimited access and let the other starve it out.

The schedule will surely be something he has to get acclimated to....  sounds like the guy has an amazing work ethic so I am not really worried in the least.   Everything I have read is that he is a very progressive thinker of the game and likes to play fast.   ND lives and breathes hockey - as OR said it is a religion and there is a TON of pressure to perform there.   

Honestly, you know these tools are gonna start in on him...pushing like little kids to find the right button to push. He might as well make it an adversial relationship right from the get go....Carchidi and TImmy P can go pound salt. Here's to hoping he grants Metzler and Hughes unlimited access and let the other starve it out.

I don't mind Panotch so much... i can't stand Carchidi , I think Hofman and Donnellon are clown shoes as well.  I don't include Marcus Hayes because his insight regarding hockey is nil, regardless of having decent sources.

Everything I have read is that he is a very progressive thinker of the game and likes to play fast.

Jeebus...He likes to play fast, huh...well, Hexy has some work cut out for him transforming this group into "fast". They have individually fast players, but team speed is lacking. I have also read about "the progressive thinking"....I'm excited about that. ....how refreshing this is gonna be. He at a distinct disadvantage as far as how to line match against opponents he has not seen yet....the Flyers pro scouts will probably be helping in this respect....he's gonna be watching a LOT of video to get ready for camp.

I don't mind Panotch so much... i can't stand Carchidi , I think Hofman and Donnellon are clown shoes as well.  I don't include Marcus Hayes because his insight regarding hockey is nil, regardless of having decent sources.

The only two I read are Metzler and Hughes....between the two of them, they give me all the info and theories I need. The rest should not be employed covering hockey.

My biggest concern isn't the coach but that he has the players he needs to make his system work...we still have a few seasons of dead-weight contracts unless Hexy can pull off a miracle.

Don't know much about Hakstol but I am excited at the culture change and new direction he will bring.  Hope that the players buy in because Haks isn't going anywhere soon.

He just exudes this "I'm in charge" kinda vibe. I think this dude is gonna handle the Philly press just fine. To start out, he's gonna play everything close to the vest....and then maybe, we might see a bit of personality out of him....but my initial reaction is he's quite reserved, which will not fuel any fires the Philly press like to start.

He also looks like the no nonsense type, but he is dealing with a lot of millionaires, so you can't go all Mike Keenan to start off. The part I like, he looks like a disciplinarian, and I'm excited about that. No more accepting defeat, no more ice time if you refuse to play the system (wondering just what that entails....any clue people?) Is he defense first, or run and gun...or a combo...something in between....or will the roster dictate how he deploys the troops?

I'm definitely optimistic.

Just judging by the type of players he's coached that have become successful at this level, I'd say there's got to be a defensively responsible approach to his system, but if I'm honest I really know nothing about how his teams play.

Which is part of what makes me optimistic.

It's not the same old same old. In any way.

@King Knut  I don't think its a coincidence that Toews and Drew Stafford, two of the very best two way forwards in the league were coached by Hakstol...those two came into the league ready to compete from day 1....I'm betting Hakstol was a big reason they were such complete players.

I think we will see Hextall in the news more than Hakstol throughout the season.  Thus limiting Hakstol from a lot of media harrassment of lame questioning.

My biggest concern as @murraycraven posted is the schedule length, not coming out too fast too soon, ending in premature burnout and having the typical Flyer focus / effort mid season.   My second concern is how he handles the get up for the game mentality conference rivals versus non conference versus bottom dwellers.

Jeebus...He likes to play fast, huh...well, Hexy has some work cut out for him transforming this group into "fast". They have individually fast players, but team speed is lacking. I have also read about "the progressive thinking"....I'm excited about that. ....how refreshing this is gonna be. He at a distinct disadvantage as far as how to line match against opponents he has not seen yet....the Flyers pro scouts will probably be helping in this respect....he's gonna be watching a LOT of video to get ready for camp.

But remember this isn't just all predicated on foot speed it's alot more about thinking fast and reacting fast Dmen helping more with the transition game...utilzing the weakside Dmen to help with the breakouts...i know it almost seems foreign...but it's quicker to move the puck with precision passes than to skate it out.

So this all requires smarts and vision not necessarily just fast players.

The guy has coached 20....count'em 20 present day NHL players

Berube coached over 23 just last year alone, and that didn't work out so well.

I wonder if he'll try to get Hextall to accumulate former UND players ala Chip Kelly.

I wouldn't necessarily go by that.  Berube and Barber also exuded this "I am in charge" attitude.  But both were just completely clueless as coaches.

There is so much that goes into coaching in the NHL... and x's and o's are not the least important aspect.  Maybe it's just my personal thing, but I like my coach to be a savvy, smart hockey man who knows how to adjust lines, how to adjust the game plan, how to put individual players in a position to do well, and how to get the most out of people.  Sadly, not many of the most recent Flyers coaches exhibited any of these qualities.

I am also not buying into the notion (not expressed specifically by you, but was referenced heavily on thos board over thd last 48 hours) that he was hired because of the makeup of our roster, meaning that because the roster is young, he was sort of a natural fit. I disagree with this completely.  A good coach will know how to coach *any* roster, regardless of the age.  And if he only knows how to coach players of a certain age, well... that means he is just not a good coach - pure and simple.

I think we won't really be able to know what he is made of until he actually starts coaching. He may be good, but I am also bracing for a fact that he may just be another mediocre one who will be here for several years, underperform and then get fired.  We just need to wait and see... I am not ready yet to pass any judgment on what his contributions to this team will be quite yet.

I wonder how Clarkie feels about this whole coaching situation ? Does this mean his management days are over ?

It's a very good question.

I'm sure of one thing: if the Hakstol experiment starts to go south in October/November, he'll be blaming Lindros.

Archived