Biggest Hakstol Concerns?

King Knut

But remember this isn't just all predicated on foot speed it's alot more about thinking fast and reacting fast Dmen helping more with the transition game...utilzing the weakside Dmen to help with the breakouts...i know it almost seems foreign...but it's quicker to move the puck with precision passes than to skate it out.

So this all requires smarts and vision not necessarily just fast players.

Agreed. A lot of the complaints about the Dlyers being so much slower than other teams really stems from the fact that other teams pass well and the flyers don't.

That's why there's no transition game.

Passing needs lanes and coaching can create them. Chief was awful at this and apparently saw no reason for it. Which is in no small part why they sucked.

Passing and lane creation is how A bum like VLC or Umberger could actually contribute again someday. If you make him skate 200ft every time the team gets the puck, they're all going to look slow.

It's not that complicated but many here and the philly press are confused by it.

0 - 7 in those final fours. Not so incredible.

Yeah, but that is dealing with which kids want to come to North Dakota, right?  He was held back (just guessing here) but bigger schools with a more powerful reach...no? Did he ever lose one of those where he was the unmistakeable favourite...I'm asking, I don't know....

At least in the NHL, where the dollar is king, he is on even ground, and has an apparently smart GM on his side. It's a start .....

Several ex players he's coached has said that he would change strategies depending on their other team, if they where able to skate past his 1 2 2 setup he would switch to a 2 1 2 formation or another combination depending on their other teams ability to skate pass his players.

it sounds like he's able to change on the fly, depending on the situation/challenge he's presented. He also adjust his coaching and reinforces his beliefs so toward their end of their season his teams are always playing better/smoother than at their start(firing on all cylinders).

Several ex players he's coached has said that he would change strategies depending on their other team, if they where able to skate past his 1 2 2 setup he would switch to a 2 1 2 formation or another combination depending on their other teams ability to skate pass his players.

it sounds like he's able to change on the fly, depending on the situation/challenge he's presented. He also adjust his coaching and reinforces his beliefs so toward their end of their season his teams are always playing better/smoother than at their start(firing on all cylinders).

Love that idea, switching to a different strategy depending on who they are playing. Different teams offer different challenges. Coach's that stubbornly stick to one thing...even though it's not working....they tend to lose a 7 game series. In today's NHL, you have to be smart enough to change on the fly, realize your teams weaknesses and adjust accordingly. 

This is the most wonderful thing I've heard about him yet. Thanks.

Watching the Blackhawks essentially get turned into the Flyers last night was depressing. I love it when a coach can adapt like that (cough cough... barber, hitch, chief... Cough cough).

Berube coached over 23 just last year alone, and that didn't work out so well.

I wonder if he'll try to get Hextall to accumulate former UND players ala Chip Kelly.

Oh no. We could end up with Oshie or Toews. What ever would we do?

Archived