Sell me on Mess

ScottM

@ScottM It is hard to believe that Mess won the Lady Byng. How does WHEN DID that even happen? I swear, sometimes the NHL uses that award to give a trophy to someone who really deserved one, but got beat out by great competition. Kind of a ....well, Mess didn't win any other one...can we find a way to justify this through is stats....somehow, someway?

Better question.

@ruxpin  I was taken aback by this also...coulda swore they mentioned it earlier in this thread.....thought it sounded outright crazy.....

Edit...just looked...not to surprised to not see him there....lol...I probably misread...to tired to look back...

Edit...just looked...not to surprised to not see him there....lol...I probably misread...to tired to look back...

It's that New World Order thing.  It's getting to everyone.

@jammer2@ruxpin

My bad, sorry, he received votes for the Bing in 1997 and 2000 but didn't win it. Grr..... I need to start getting my wife to proofread this stuff for me more....

HA....I thought it sounded outlandish, but *you* said it, so I took it as the Gospel truth....LOL, the boys set me straight pretty quick, huh? What in the world is he even getting Lady Byng votes for??  That is like nominating Charles Manson for the Nobel Peace Prize...LOL!

HA....I thought it sounded outlandish, but *you* said it, so I took it as the Gospel truth....LOL, the boys set me straight pretty quick, huh? What in the world is he even getting Lady Byng votes for?? That is like nominating Charles Manson for the Nobel Peace Prize...LOL!

Or nominating David Duke for president of the Anti-Defamation League.

Or sending Ted Cruz a Mensa membership application.

• 4 weeks later...

Mark-Messier-New-York-Rangers.jpeg

I know that there are many people who have Mess ranked in the 3-5 range among centers, and he's in the top 10 for nearly everyone, but I just don't see it, personally. Was he a great player? Absolutely. A Hall of Famer? No doubt? But a top 10 center? I'm not sold. When I say that, I know I'm probably in a very small minority, which makes me wonder: what is it that I'm missing? Would anyone care to explain what ranks Mess so highly?

This is inspired by my attempts to put together a top 10 centers list, and Mess is just hanging there. My gut says no to him, but how can so many people all be wrong?

Uhh. :unsure[1]:   He was the #2 guy on the Oilers dynasty. He was the #1 guy after Gretzky left (winning another Cup), and was the #1 guy with the Rangers (winning another Cup). He could score like Sakic and Yzerman and he played a physical game too. Messier was a modern day Gordie Howe, and that's good enough to be TOP 10 all time (at any position).

For being the total package as a centerman, you have now been sold on Messier! :D

Archived