New Professional Women's League debuts in the Fall

Samifan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So where are the other 3 teams?  They must be some what close for travel.

I think it is an excellent idea for continued training for those who have graduated from college and still want to play competitive hockey.  

So where are the other 3 teams? They must be some what close for travel.

I think it is an excellent idea for continued training for those who have graduated from college and still want to play competitive hockey.

According to Puck Daddy the other teams are NYC, Boston and Connecticut. I like the way they decided to call their team the Whale. Very Cool!!

@hf101 I agree that it's a great idea. I hope the league thrives and meets its goal. I think there's a void to be filled with something like this.

@Samifan I'm with you on the Whale name. I love it!

Should we just go ahead and start the "professional women's league folds" thread?

A Four team league, that gives Buffalo a 25% chance of winning a "professional sports" championship. Those are way better odds than the Sabres and Bills so for Buffalo sports fans the league better not fold to soon. LOL

I would love to see this league succeed. There are some very dedicated women athletes out there...they go for the Gold....then what?  Back to being Mom...give up your hopes and dreams...they should have this type of outlet. I would watch...although not faithfully. Unless maybe Philly got a team...then never know! ....anyways...15 grand is peanuts, but it's something you know? Something to build on, maybe some day these women can make a real living doing something they love!!

Well, nice that women get a league to play post-college.

But only four teams??

I would have thought there would be enough talent in women's hockey to field at LEAST 6-8 teams, two divisions.

Hmm...maybe that comes quickly should these four find interest in the product high.

I will root for the league to do well.

On another matter, I realize how the Connecticut Whale may be awesome to many male fans as an ode to the former Hartford Whalers, but I can tell you as a woman, I would have issues with being referred to as a Whale, playing for the team....just sayin.... :P

Well, nice that women get a league to play post-college.

But only four teams??

I would have thought there would be enough talent in women's hockey to field at LEAST 6-8 teams, two divisions.

Hmm...maybe that comes quickly should these four find interest in the product high.

I will root for the league to do well.

On another matter, I realize how the Connecticut Whale may be awesome to many male fans as an ode to the former Hartford Whalers, but I can tell you as a woman, I would have issues with being referred to as a Whale, playing for the team....just sayin.... :P

I see you point TFG :). I think the name for the Buffalo franchise is a bit sexist, hopefully they change it. When I hear the Beauts, all I can think of is the scene from My Cousin Vinny, "did you say yoot? What's a yoot?"

I see you point TFG :). I think the name for the Buffalo franchise is a bit sexist, hopefully they change it. When I hear the Beauts, all I can think of is the scene from My Cousin Vinny, "did you say yoot? What's a yoot?"

Yea...not sure about the Beauts...though I certainly won't start a revolution on it.

Hey, at least they didn't refer to the women playing for Buffalo as the Bisonettes....lol.

Whales, Bison.....what's next, the Iowa Bovines???  :lol:

Beauts made me think of a classic Corvette or something. Of course, if it strikes you as sexist that will probably just reinforce it if you think car magazine. Lol

A Four team league, that gives Buffalo a 25% chance of winning a "professional sports" championship. Those are way better odds than the Sabres and Bills so for Buffalo sports fans the league better not fold to soon. LOL

See, I look at it as Buffalo has a 75% chance of failure. I'm sure they'll fit into this quite well.

women's hockey is garbage. Yes, I know, that's not nice to say, but it's the truth  

Hmm...well, not only not nice to say, but rather narrow minded as well.

Every sport needs a start, and if treated as its own entity, outside of being ice hockey like the men play, its a whole new product.

With the right marketing and over time with an increased talent pool, obviously that product will get better.

You are entitled to your opinion of course and you obviously don't care to watch women's hockey, but there are many that do.

Those people that go to NCAA women's games didn't just run into those arenas by accident.

I think its good that talented female hockey players can have a place they can continue to play...and as was stated, makes a great training ground for international teams.

Product may start out small, but then, anything great always has.

Maybe in 50-60 years, the product could be just as high end as the male equivalent.

But that won't ever happen with a narrow view of things.

women's hockey is garbage. Yes, I know, that's not nice to say, but it's the truth  

I respectfully, but completely disagree. I tend to not enjoy watching women's sports very much, but hockey and tennis are the two exceptions. Maybe it's simply because I'm such a big fan of the sport overall, but I find it truly enjoyable to watch. Personally, I have found the battles between the United States and Canada in the Olympics to be epic. I've been disappointed with the outcome more often that not, but that doesn't change how intense and enjoyable the games were.

No doubt I'll always enjoy the men's game better, and no doubt the women's game has a lot of growth to go through, but I agree with @TropicalFruitGirl26 that it can become better if given proper avenues for growth. A league like this would help to foster that growth. Hopefully, if this succeeds, we'll start seeing some European players break in as well. Finland and Sweden have made strides, and I'd hope to see more nations improve their game. More competition equals a better game, after all.

So, I take it Orca is out as well?  Are you mammal intolerant? Is that even a thing?  HA HA!

Really??  I know for a fact that the Gold Medal game between Canada and the USA was an AWESOME game to watch....back and forth, momentum changes.....it was VERY fun to take in.

Archived