New Professional Women's League debuts in the Fall

Samifan

I'm no expert either, - google is my friend :)

Obviously here the CWHL was established first as there are 5 teams: Boston Blades, Brampton Thunder, Calgary Inferno, Montreal Stars and Toronto Furies and they play for the Clarkson Cup. The Montreal Canadiens have recently formed a partnership with the Montreal Stars for promotion and merchandise as well as women's hockey camps etc.  http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b6445ed2a4dc424ea4339c8abd59d4eb/canadiens-form-partnership-womens-league-team

According one of the links above the NWHL is the first paid professional womens hockey league. 

Will the NWHL and CWHL merge at some point?  Surely if the NHL takes on sponsorship.

Personally, I think the best chance for long term survival of a professional women's league would be something similar to the WNBA. Let the NHL take on sponsorship as you said. Make sure that member teams of the women's league are paired with NHL member teams in strong cities (i.e. Montreal good, Phoenix bad). A promotion and merchandise arrangement such as what you mention would be great. They're on the right track starting small with the salary cap, but honestly, would the NHL be hurting at all if they took on those teams with a salary cap of a whole $270,000? I don't think so. Scheduling is a bigger question to me. Do you set it up in double headers with the NHL or make it a summer league? I'm not sure which would be better, honestly.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to start a women's hockey league without a team in Canada = death

Not only is there a Canadian League, it's the second one this century as the original National Women's Hockey League folded in 2007...

Do you set it up in double headers with the NHL or make it a summer league? I'm not sure which would be better, honestly

I don't know that I'd do either.   I'm on board with the pairing up with an NHL team, and same day would probably be okay if it were an afternoon and an evening game.  But straight up back to back might not work.

I think the summer thing would be hard, especially in the states.   Even the northern US cities with strong bases would struggle in the summer, I think.

I don't know that I'd do either.   I'm on board with the pairing up with an NHL team, and same day would probably be okay if it were an afternoon and an evening game.  But straight up back to back might not work.

I think the summer thing would be hard, especially in the states.   Even the northern US cities with strong bases would struggle in the summer, I think.

I thought about the fact that people might not want to stay at the rink for long enough to take in two games. But would they be willing to leave and come back? That's what makes scheduling so hard to me. Every possibility that I can think of has a drawback.

@mojo1917

Key word is "similarly."  I'd really only gotten as far as "huh...I wonder why all American."    And then kind of left that thought and moved on.

Really a valid point by @WordsOfWisdom

actually i was commenting that you were commenting to @radoran about thinking similarly...you have everyone here fooled but me buster.  :D

@hf101  I guess the real question is, why not try to merge the two leagues, strength in numbers. I might add, this is the very first I've heard of any women's pro league in Canada, so they are doing a horrible job getting the word out there. Wonder if Haley Wickenheiser (the women's Gretzky) is in that league?

@hf101  I guess the real question is, why not try to merge the two leagues, strength in numbers. I might add, this is the very first I've heard of any women's pro league in Canada, so they are doing a horrible job getting the word out there. Wonder if Haley Wickenheiser (the women's Gretzky) is in that league?

Exactly. Multiple leagues will divide the fan base (and the profits). There aren't enough fans to support two leagues.

I always liked Cassie Campbell. She could body check me anytime.  :wub[1]:   (Except she's married now. Boo.) :rolleyes:

A nice pic of Mehgan Agosta-Marchiano (she just got married last year).

Screen+shot+2011-07-27+at+7.32.34+PM.png  She is the pride of Windsor, Ontario....easily the best Woman skater. She is basically the Women's version of Scott Niedermayer.....super elite hockey sense, very accurate shot, I would pay to watch her play anyday.

I'm BEYOND excited for this! I live in Connecticut and there is a semi-pro team in my hometown of Danbury named the Whalers, but I'm going to need to be a New York Riveters fan. That logo is fantastic! Can't wait for the season to start!

I'm BEYOND excited for this! I live in Connecticut and there is a semi-pro team in my hometown of Danbury named the Whalers, but I'm going to need to be a New York Riveters fan. That logo is fantastic! Can't wait for the season to start!

Me too! I'm hoping that there is tv coverage, but I can't find anything when doing a google search of NWHL, the name of the new league.

Me too! I'm hoping that there is tv coverage, but I can't find anything when doing a google search of NWHL, the name of the new league.

Yeah other than the team names and coaches, not much has been announced. The draft is coming up and the season starts in October. Right now I doubt there will be TV coverage but there might be some sort of package you can buy. That's how the Federal Hockey League worked and they were miles below what this is going to be.

women's hockey is garbage. Yes, I know, that's not nice to say, but it's the truth  

Care to elaborate on how its the "truth"?

This post was garbage. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but it's the truth.

I've looked around the net a bit but haven't found what the uniforms of the "Original Four" will look like.

Most likely that hasn't been decided yet....then again, if the league is going to be making its debut in the Fall, I would think things like uni's have already been decided on.

Anyone have any links to pics of official uniforms for the NWHL four teams?

Also, looking over some of the other women's leagues already in existence, and seeing how some have struggled to stay above water at various points and in generating interest on their own, I REALLY, REALLY wish that sooner than later, these women's leagues would get together and form some kind of merger to make a solid, larger league all pulling in the same direction for overall success, rather than having all these fragmented leagues trying to do their own thing and having a hard time doing it.

I've looked around the net a bit but haven't found what the uniforms of the "Original Four" will look like.

Most likely that hasn't been decided yet....then again, if the league is going to be making its debut in the Fall, I would think things like uni's have already been decided on.

Anyone have any links to pics of official uniforms for the NWHL four teams?

Also, looking over some of the other women's leagues already in existence, and seeing how some have struggled to stay above water at various points and in generating interest on their own, I REALLY, REALLY wish that sooner than later, these women's leagues would get together and form some kind of merger to make a solid, larger league all pulling in the same direction for overall success, rather than having all these fragmented leagues trying to do their own thing and having a hard time doing it.

This was the unveiling, I think:

tumblr_inline_n6ax9yfXKc1rxzm8s.jpg

@notfondajane  I would definatly watch some of this league, I would not go all in and buy a jersey or anything, but I'd support it and watch...for sure. Our talented females have to be able to play for something other than Olympic Gold....this would help!

@notfondajane  I would definatly watch some of this league, I would not go all in and buy a jersey or anything, but I'd support it and watch...for sure. Our talented females have to be able to play for something other than Olympic Gold....this would help!
I'm with you on this one!

Archived