New Professional Women's League debuts in the Fall

Samifan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I take it Orca is out as well?  Are you mammal intolerant? Is that even a thing?  HA HA!

Well...I gotta tell ya, @jammer2 , iffin someone is gonna insist that a women's team be called Whales, at least Orcas makes it sound much more intimidating....

"Yeah, call me a whale...I dare ya!"

:lol:

Well, nice that women get a league to play post-college.

But only four teams??

I would have thought there would be enough talent in women's hockey to field at LEAST 6-8 teams, two divisions.

Hmm...maybe that comes quickly should these four find interest in the product high.

I will root for the league to do well.

On another matter, I realize how the Connecticut Whale may be awesome to many male fans as an ode to the former Hartford Whalers, but I can tell you as a woman, I would have issues with being referred to as a Whale, playing for the team....just sayin.... :P

LOL!  I hadn't thought of that, but fair point!

LOL!  I hadn't thought of that, but fair point!

Yea, man...just ain't right...haha.

Now, if the Connecticut franchise wanted to stay with a water mammal theme, perhaps Connecticut Dolphins or Connecticut Ice Phins would be better.  ;)

I talked to a few bottlenosed dolphins in Florida, and they tell me they DO make the trip to the North Eastern coasts. :lol:

The WNBA is a subsidiary of the NBA and the NBA poured tens of millions into it to keep it solvent.

Two women's soccer leagues have failed since 2000.

As much as I'd like to see a women's league be successful, the odds are long against.

I haven't seen anything that would indicate the NHL is backing them. I would assume if they were there would be more than 4 teams and a $15k salary.

I would like to see it do well, but I, too, think it is unlikely.

The other women's team sports haven't done well at the pro level, even though I personally found the WNBA to be a bit more competitive than the male version.

But, like soccer, hockey is a sport that simply doesn't have enough of a footprint in the states to support the extra league (women or men).

It might have moderate success or if the gate as a novelty and as an exhibit type thing. And then it will probably sadly fade like roller hockey.

Hope for the best.

Well...I gotta tell ya, @jammer2 , iffin someone is gonna insist that a women's team be called Whales, at least Orcas makes it sound much more intimidating....

"Yeah, call me a whale...I dare ya!"

:lol:

That's a whale of a threat right there.

Forgive my next dumb question guys, but isn't the NHL behind this endeavor?

Or are they completely on their own here?

82eb94e0-d3c6-11e4-b380-830183b2f12d_fsa

How will the players be paid?

Each of the league’s four teams are given an operating budget for which all players, team staff (coaches, GM, etc.), and other expenses will be paid. The NWHL sets a salary cap for each team at $270,000. Spread evenly across all 18 roster players, it comes to about $15,000 per player; however, like the men’s pro leagues, GM’s are not required to give the same contract to every player. The player is responsible for her own contract negotiations.

Players are treated like employees, where taxes will be withdrawn from their paychecks just like everyone else. It’s meant to be a part-time job, and with this association, the NWHL will be able to work with international players to secure work visas, something the CWHL cannot do.

Something else it’ll do that the CWHL struggles with: Not have their players pay for their own gear.

“Nope, this a professional league. The women will have their equipment provided to them. The equipment, tape, sticks, the necessities to play will be given to them,” said Rylan.

(Rylan, incidentally, sees the NWHL co-existing with the CWHL.)

Starting in May 2015, free agency will begin. Free agents are considered college seniors and any player no longer in college, be it actively playing or not, it’s up to them to find a team and negotiate their contract terms. In June comes the draft for college juniors. The drafted players are given a year to finish their NCAA eligibility while their rights are retained by the team that drafted them, just like the guys. Once they’re done with their NCAA obligations, the women are free to then sign a contract with their team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nwhl--new-women-s-hockey-league--promises-to-pay-players-145034940.html

A League of Their Own.

The way it's set up smells to high heaven to me. The central idea is good, but it sounds like it's run by the same douche bags that brought you "A League of Their Own."

Trying to start a women's hockey league without a team in Canada = death.

Goodbye women's hockey league.

I was thinking similarly.  I wonder why not.  It seems a bit short-sighted unless it was someone's misguided attempt to simply strengthen US women's hockey for world tournaments.  

Still short-sighted and self-defeating, IMO.

I was thinking similarly.  I wonder why not.  It seems a bit short-sighted unless it was someone's misguided attempt to simply strengthen US women's hockey for world tournaments.  

Still short-sighted and self-defeating, IMO.

Toronto and Montreal should both have teams. That's a given. Without any presence in Canada, I think the league will die a quick death.

If you're going to start out with four US teams, then add Toronto and Montreal and you have an original six (part II). It just makes sense.  :mellow:

Oh. I didn't realize there was one already. Is it a pro league though? Where are the teams?

I'll admit I don't follow any of this stuff. I think you need ONE strong pro league and not multiple small amateur leagues but who knows...

:)

I only looked at this very briefly.  I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from it.  Boston is one of the four teams, though. 

Only 3 games played, so it seems like it is a tournament thing.   Who knows?

I agree with you that if they are going to do it, there should be one league if they want something to survive.

I'm no expert either, - google is my friend :)

Obviously here the CWHL was established first as there are 5 teams: Boston Blades, Brampton Thunder, Calgary Inferno, Montreal Stars and Toronto Furies and they play for the Clarkson Cup. The Montreal Canadiens have recently formed a partnership with the Montreal Stars for promotion and merchandise as well as women's hockey camps etc.  http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b6445ed2a4dc424ea4339c8abd59d4eb/canadiens-form-partnership-womens-league-team

According one of the links above the NWHL is the first paid professional womens hockey league. 

Will the NWHL and CWHL merge at some point?  Surely if the NHL takes on sponsorship.

There is a CWHL in Canada  - http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl/

Read up on that...and between the CWHL and the WWHL, they seem to have an already established, though a bit troubled history.

One would think that if team owners in the cities of the new league would want long term success, then maybe some partnership should be made with themselves and the two Canadian women's league to form ONE strong larger league, as opposed to smaller fragmented ones.

I am probably oversimplifying things, as there are likely many obstacles to something like that, but if there is a way, I think all three entities should seriously look at it.....for the good of Women's pro hockey as a whole.

I can see any of the three leagues possibly folding due to financial and/or interest hardships, but I would think if all three were working in unison, their chances of long term success would be much better.

Archived