Coyotes hire 25-year-old analytics wiz John Chayka as assistant GM

hf101

22bd0bf.jpg

That's right Chayka is 25 years old, without any front office experience, and he is also the co-founder of Stathletes. They track their own data as every facet of each game is observed and recorded through their intensive video analysis process, yielding over 100x the statistical resolution of typical tracking methods. Using their asymmetrical data, their partners can draw individual and specific conclusions on the contribution and value of a player, and qualify decisions to positively influence both the player and the team.

Incredible eh? Chayka is 13 years younger than Shane Doan. lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/coyotes-hire-25-year-old-analytics-wiz-john-chayka-as-assistant-gm-143420830.html

I'm not really sure what I think about this. It's certainly an interesting hire, and if it works out, I imagine that others will try to emulate it. I guess it is worth a try, since not much else that the Coyotes have done seems to work.

I'm not really sure what I think about this. It's certainly an interesting hire, and if it works out, I imagine that others will try to emulate it. I guess it is worth a try, since not much else that the Coyotes have done seems to work.

Other teams that have added stats geeks include:

Kyle Dubas of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Tyler Dellow with the Edmonton Oilers
Sunny Mehta with the New Jersey Devils

Who, by the way are all picking top 6 this year.

On a more serious note, the Tampa Bay Lightning have a former lawyer as their head coach.

Where is THEIR stat geek connoisseur??

Oh that's right....they have a guy like the nitty, gritty Pat Verbeek as assistant GM and had him as former director of scouting before that, and he'd probably kick the arse of some stat kid trying to tell him why Victor Hedman really isn't as good as people think.... :P

And of course, the blues, who have Jim Corsi

• 3 weeks later...

I have zero issues with this. Sports and politics seem to pride themselves on hiring people for no other reason than that they've been around a long time, which is hilarious in sports because it usually means you've been fired a lot.

I have zero issues with this. Sports and politics seem to pride themselves on hiring people for no other reason than that they've been around a long time, which is hilarious in sports because it usually means you've been fired a lot.

I am more interested in seeing the Analyst notice they have 40 million in cap space and need to spend like 20 million just to hit the cap floor.

Maybe it will not be impossible to get rid of McDud's contract after all

I am more interested in seeing the Analyst notice they have 40 million in cap space and need to spend like 20 million just to hit the cap floor.

Maybe it will not be impossible to get rid of McDud's contract after all

If anyone actually wants McDud, young or not, they are an idiot.

Archived