Contract talks begin for Del Zotto

hf101

he did look serviceable - perfect word for it - for awhile but lately he's been scratched fairly often - healthy scratch. JQ may play him tonight supposedly to get "fresh legs" into the lineup - one story I read reported Boudreau may be doing the same with Fleishmann - who knows?

It was looking like Versteeg was going to force his way on the roster for the upcoming game...Vermette made a brutal gaffe in his own zone, leading to a big goal against, but he atoned for his big mistake, scoring the OT winner. Had Vermette not scored that goal, Verstink is in for sure.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

management should have seen the Pronger injuries coming from a mile away

No way they or anyone could have seen him taking a stick to his eye...no way i can't be mad at him for that or management he was good when he was in Philly and help carry them to a Cup run.

Who knows what would have happened had he not taken that stick to the face.....

Tony Amonte ... powerhouse for Chicago, practically useless in the O&B... Beezer...not that he stunk in Philly, he was just past his prime. So many others...

I'll never forgive Clarke for picking Beezer over CuJo

#BRYZGALOV

oh, sorry, got confused. This wasn't the "paid what they were NEVER worth" thread.

lol - ya that could be a whole 'nother thread - with the cosmonaut topping the list.

I'll never forgive Clarke for picking Beezer over CuJo

Yeah that haunts me too...the worst part about it then...they turn around and get bounced by him (Cujo) in the playoffs...talk about dagger to the heart!!!

A playoff team Berube was on...Zelepukin...and Jeff Reese was the 3rd goaltender for the Leafs. 

The Berezin, Steve Thomas and Lonny Bohonos Leafs days. (even Dallas Eakins).

Sadly Dmitri Tertyshny played the last game he would ever play in the opener the Flyers won 3-0.....he would never play for them again...what a bad summer.

@ Flyercanuck

Del Zotto had no one signing him last fall then the Flyers came calling. Now I know there is no loyalty anymore in professional sports but a 2 year deal would be fair for both sides since the Flyers took a chance on him when no one else would. It would give Del Zotto a chance for a bigger payday down the road.

@ Flyercanuck

Del Zotto had no one signing him last fall then the Flyers came calling. Now I know there is no loyalty anymore in professional sports but a 2 year deal would be fair for both sides since the Flyers took a chance on him when no one else would. It would give Del Zotto a chance for a bigger payday down the road.

Unfortuantely most professional athletes don't think ahead and want their money ASAP, but I hope you're right 

Unfortuantely most professional athletes don't think ahead and want their money ASAP, but I hope you're right

It's not like GMs line up to sign guys with a history of knee cartilage tears either...

I get what you are saying Makinaw....I have the same reservations myself....but the other side of the coin is, this guy can run a pp, has a legit chance at 40+ pts if he was on the top pp....those kinda guys don't grow on trees. If the 37 year old Mark Streit goes down, who runs your top pp?  The top pp is far more important to the Flyers than any other team, this team simply cannot score 5 on 5 to save their lives, so you MUST have an emergency back up plan for the top pp qb....or the season is over when and if Streit goes down. Right now, Flyers have nobody else but MDZ who fits this role.....so that must be factored in as well.

i think with the new coach, all bets and using the past to predict future performance are off.  they couldn't score 5 on 5 playing for Berube, we know nothing about Hak, so while i am in the camp that thinks we'd be better off signing MDZ than not , I don't think the power play is going to be the only way this team will score in the near and intermediate future.  I don'[ think you let his agent bend you over the desk if you're Hextall.  If he tries it ...**** him.

Yeah, I've seen that clip a few times, does not really impress me. He looks like he has ok speed, not overpowering speed (at least on this rush anyways). The big thing for me is guy at the blue line, some weak kinda wave at the puck, SUPER weak....if he tried that against a NHL player, he would have been leveled at the blue line. The whole team played some very weak defense on that goal. That is one of those junior goals that would never happen in the NHL IMHO.

Yeah.. no offense to the poster here, but these types of clips should always be weighed against the competition faced. I mean, heck, that japanese kid looked like wayne gretzky, but he's playing agains other kids! That D looks worse than beer league there. 

so anyway how much is DZ supposed to get this time? he made $1.3 mil last season on a 1-yr deal. i didn't read every post but most of them, didn't see any predictions on the $$. What are we hoping for? What does he deserve?

oh right - RFA - forget how that works sometimes - i thought other teams get a chance to bid for him once the Flyers qualify him.

They do, but depending on the offer the Flyers make. The Flyers would get draft pick compensation, depending on how much he signs for with another team.

Since he made 1.3 million, the QO would only need to be exactly that, the percentage increases are for lower-paid players (10% for players making 660k or less, 5% if they're under 1 million).

That said, I would think we're looking at a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable hit. While MDZ probably wants to hit UFA after this season, I would think that the Flyers would want a bit more stability. A 2-3 year deal at 3 per would still be a decent deal for MDZ, and would allow him to get a good payday in a few years. It's also pretty tradeable if the Flyers feel they need to move him somewhere down the line.

While MDZ probably wants to hit UFA after this season,

Can DZ become a UFA after next season? He's turning 25 in June and won't have 7 years NHL experience...is there some other way he can become unrestricted?

anyway I like your numbers - $3mil/year is a good deal for both sides imo. DZ had a good year, the future is bright - esp compared to a year ago - but he can't be expecting too much more than 3 million a year.

I wasn't looking, someone else posted that he would have 7 years after this season, so I thought that was right.

This upcoming year will be his 7th year.

Sorry to repeat what Rad said i didn't finish reading the thread before posting...so it had already been stated.

HHHhhhhhmmmm compensation for an offer sheet to Del Zotto are interesting...

$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986  First and third-round picks

$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks

not saying they won't sign him.....but another 1st and 3rd would be sweet....for a guy no one wanted...

Archived