All-Time Philadelphia Flyers Team

ScottM

flyers-logo.gif

I strongly suspect that this post will receive the most interest and passion of any of these, so let's just get to it, and I'll save my comments for the end.

First Line: John LeClair, Bobby Clarke, Reggie Leach

Second Line: Bill Barber, Eric Lindros, Tim Kerr

Third Line: Brian Propp, Rick MacLeish, Mark Recchi

Fourth Line: Simon Gagne, Rod Brind'Amour Claude Giroux

First Defensive Pair: Mark Howe, Eric Desjardins

Second Defensive Pair: Chris Pronger, Brad McCrimmon

Third Defensive Pair: Andre Dupont, Jimmy Watson

Goaltenders: Bernie Parent, Ron Hextall, Pelle Lindbergh

Coach: Fred Shero

Far and away, the hardest part of this was ranking the defensemen. Philadelphia has certainly had its fair share of solid blue-liners and then some. I know that the goaltending trio is what everyone would expect, but there actually was some competition for the last slot. Lindbergh gets it on the strength of his Vezina and the Finals run, but Roman Cechmanek gave the Flyers three great regular seasons. His problem, of course, was his postseason performance (or lack thereof). If he had given the team a couple of good postseasons, this list might be different. Of course, by the same token, if Lindbergh had lived and continued his career, there's every chance that he would have put it beyond all doubt, and that Hextall's career with Philly may have been far different. The forwards were relatively east, in my opinion, but I did debate with myself a little as to where to rank them, and there were a couple of guys that didn't make the list that I had to consider.

Finally some Flyers content on this stupid site!!

I only delayed this one so long in order to torment the Flyers fans. We can't have you guys too happy. Lol

Lindbergh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hextall 

Hextall is vastly overrated by most Flyers fans. I'd even put Cechmanek there ahead of him

Also, if Progner is going to be there, how could Timonen not? He's arguably the 3rd best defenseman ever to suit up in O&B and had a much longer career with us than Pronger

I was a huge a Pelle Lindbergh guy as anyone, as he won the Vezina in 1985. As good as Pelle was, the defense in front of him was awesome.  That is NOT to take away from the amazing talent he was. Also, he only played 3 seasons. RIP Pelle. However, if Mason has another very solid season, (he doesn't have to win the Vezina) I would have to consider him to be in my top 3 Flyer goalies of all-time. As we all know, the defense in front of him is in the C-/D+ range. That just goes to show ya that for a franchise whose goalie was the centerpiece of 2 Stanley Cup teams, what a lack of consideration they have given to that position throughout franchise history, because we've also had gems such as Michael Leighton, Tommy Soderstrom and Roman Cechmanek.

@RJ8812 Hextall and Lindbergh are a case of one guy's career simply being too short to move him up. And Timonen was one of the guys I considered. Pronger just really had a couple of good years for the Flyers. Really though, I strongly feel that Timonen was much better with Nashville than with Philadelphia, and the Preds years were not taken into consideration for this post.

@FD19372 Yes, it's entirely possible that Lindbergh could be knocked off of the list because of the extreme brevity of his career. In fact, it seems bound to happen eventually, which is truly sad considering his accomplishments. He appeared poised to repeat his Vezina performance in the 1985-86 season before the crash.

@RJ8812 Hextall and Lindbergh are a case of one guy's career simply being too short to move him up. And Timonen was one of the guys I considered. Pronger just really had a couple of good years for the Flyers. Really though, I strongly feel that Timonen was much better with Nashville than with Philadelphia, and the Preds years were not taken into consideration for this post.

@FD19372 Yes, it's entirely possible that Lindbergh could be knocked off of the list because of the extreme brevity of his career. In fact, it seems bound to happen eventually, which is truly sad considering his accomplishments. He appeared poised to repeat his Vezina performance in the 1985-86 season before the crash.

I wasnt even taking Timonen's time in NSH into consideration either....he still should be there IMO. Only Howe and Desjardins had better careers on the blueline than him

Personally, I don't think Pronger belongs- he only played for a little over two years and while he was still good he wasn't the Chris Pronger of old. Timonen absolutely belongs, he could replace any of the names in the bottom four. He was pretty much as good as Desjardins imo.

I must say, when it's laid out like that....I'm quite proud of our forward lines.....WOW, having Giroux, Brindy and Gags on the 4th line....that is pretty cool!  You would figure, at some point in the future, Vorachek has a real good chance of displacing somebody on this list.

I must say, when it's laid out like that....I'm quite proud of our forward lines.....WOW, having Giroux, Brindy and Gags on the 4th line....that is pretty cool!  You would figure, at some point in the future, Vorachek has a real good chance of displacing somebody on this list.

I wouldn't have Giroux there as a RW. He only played there a a little while and obviously his real success came at center. I'd have him instead of Rod the Bod and find someone else at RW. not sure who though. On the depth chart I might have G ahead of MacLeish although Ricky was damn good when he wanted to be.

I wouldn't have Giroux there as a RW. He only played there a a little while and obviously his real success came at center. I'd have him instead of Rod the Bod and find someone else at RW. not sure who though. On the depth chart I might have G ahead of MacLeish although Ricky was damn good when he wanted to be. 

Agreed on both points. But that still doesn't create room for Manderville on the 4th line....

@JackStraw  I'm a pretty big MacLeish fan, don't think I could pull the trigger on G moving ahead of him...as of right now anyways.

MacLeish was my favorite back in the day, it's close between him and G. The one knock on Ricky is that it seemed he could have done more. So much talent and one of the most amazing skaters I've ever seen.

flyers-logo.gif

I strongly suspect that this post will receive the most interest and passion of any of these, so let's just get to it, and I'll save my comments for the end.

First Line: John LeClair, Bobby Clarke, Reggie Leach

Second Line: Bill Barber, Eric Lindros, Tim Kerr

Third Line: Brian Propp, Rick MacLeish, Mark Recchi

Fourth Line: Simon Gagne, Rod Brind'Amour Claude Giroux

First Defensive Pair: Mark Howe, Eric Desjardins

Second Defensive Pair: Chris Pronger, Brad McCrimmon

Third Defensive Pair: Andre Dupont, Jimmy Watson

Goaltenders: Bernie Parent, Ron Hextall, Pelle Lindbergh

Coach: Fred Shero

Far and away, the hardest part of this was ranking the defensemen. Philadelphia has certainly had its fair share of solid blue-liners and then some. I know that the goaltending trio is what everyone would expect, but there actually was some competition for the last slot. Lindbergh gets it on the strength of his Vezina and the Finals run, but Roman Cechmanek gave the Flyers three great regular seasons. His problem, of course, was his postseason performance (or lack thereof). If he had given the team a couple of good postseasons, this list might be different. Of course, by the same token, if Lindbergh had lived and continued his career, there's every chance that he would have put it beyond all doubt, and that Hextall's career with Philly may have been far different. The forwards were relatively east, in my opinion, but I did debate with myself a little as to where to rank them, and there were a couple of guys that didn't make the list that I had to consider.

Good list except that I would put Rick Tocchet on that list somewhere at right wing, two 40 goal and two 30 goal seasons.

Good list except that I would put Rick Tocchet on that list somewhere at right wing, two 40 goal and two 30 goal seasons.

Good Lord...I forgot about Tocchet....he's somewhere in the top 12 forwards AND interesting to note, no room for Dave Poulin, who would make a few other teams top 12....speaks to the Flyers depth at forward IMHO.

@FD19372 Tocchet was the hardest guy to leave off,abs that was a close call. One of those 40 goal seasons was with Pittsburgh, though, so it didn't count.

@jammer2 There was definitely a lot of depth at forward. As mentioned previously though, it comes at the cost of defense. Like I said earlier, there were a lot of solid defensemen, but not that many truly great ones.

Interesting to note, the only forwards the Flyers drafted and developed on their own are Clarke, Barber, Propp, Gagne and Giroux. 5 out of 12 is not brutal...but not great either. If you throw in Poulin and Tocchett it becomes 6 out of 14....

@flyercanuck  Ha ha...I was well aware that Kerr was a undrafted free agent, I watched him play against the Spits when he was with Kingston and already had signed with the Flyers. I did say "drafted and developed" though....lol.

I'm okay with the list as is. I might have put Tocchet on there somewhere but I'm not sure who he'd replace. I think it would be MacLeish and move Giroux to center.

The defense is fine but if I were actually skating the team Howe would be partnered with Macrimmon. I realise the team was simply depth chart but again, if it were magically a team of everyone in their prime the forward lines would be arranged differently.

Lastly, for me, Timonen does not displace Pronger. They made it to within two games of the Cup largely on Pronger's back, not Timo's. That balances out the length of his tenure.

We've said elsewhere that sometimes with such lists the are only so many slots and good players have to be left off. In this case, that's Timo.

The goalies are right. Anyone else with have been a joke.

Archived