All-Time Philadelphia Flyers Team

ScottM

Lastly, for me, Timonen does not displace Pronger. They made it to within two games of the Cup largely on Pronger's back, not Timo's. That balances out the length of his tenure.

We've said elsewhere that sometimes with such lists the are only so many slots and good players have to be left off. In this case, that's Timo.

If you want to include Pronger fine, but Timo is not the guy to leave off. He's at worst the 4th best defenseman the Flyers have ever had. He's ahead of Dupont, Jimmy Watson, or McCrimmon on my list.

If you want to include Pronger fine, but Timo is not the guy to leave off. He's at worst the 4th best defenseman the Flyers have ever had. He's ahead of Dupont, Jimmy Watson, or McCrimmon on my list.

All three of them are ahead of both Pronger and Timonen for me. No way they come off for me. Certainly not for Timonen.

I like Timonen, but I think many on this board way overrate him.

I'll give Timonen this,though: he seems like one of the finest human beings to ever wear orange and black.

All three of them are ahead of both Pronger and Timonen for me. No way they come off for me. Certainly not for Timonen.

I like Timonen, but I think many on this board way overrate him.

I'll give Timonen this,though: he seems like one of the finest human beings to ever wear orange and black.

I liked Moose back in the day, the Flyers had no real elite defensemen then and he was one of the better ones. Be he is easily the worst of those listed here. Nowhere remotely close to to Timonen. He made one all star game playing for the best defensive team in the league. Watson was the best all 'rounder the team had then but he didn't provide much offensively. Don't remember him ever playing the PP. McCrimmon was more a defensive d man iin my book. Good but not a #1 guy. Timonen, Howe, Rico, and Pronger are the only legit #1 defensemen the Flyers have ever had.

I don't actually agree that Timonen was a legit #1.

He was #1 in the absence of a legit #1. Again, not trying to insult him and appreciate his time here.

I appreciate your opinion and am not trying to convince you or anyone else. but I take Jimmy Watson and McCrimmon each twice before Timonen and Moose before him (not twice).

I don't actually agree that Timonen was a legit #1.

He was #1 in the absence of a legit #1. Again, not trying to insult him and appreciate his time here.

I appreciate your opinion and am not trying to convince you or anyone else. but I take Jimmy Watson and McCrimmon each twice before Timonen and Moose before him (not twice).

Agreeably disagree

See, all of that was where I debated with myself on the defense. You guys are rehashing much of my personal mental argument. Lol

See, all of that was where I debated with myself on the defense. You guys are rehashing much of my personal mental argument. Lol

Well, I *think* Jack and me might agree on the top seven, anyway. Just not the order.

Well, I *think* Jack and me might agree on the top seven, anyway. Just not the order.

I think we all do then, because Timonen was my last man out.

I think we all do then, because Timonen was my last man out.

I only know him from interviews and such. Same with any other player. He just comes across as one of the best *people.

@JackStraw  Great points on Timonen. Easily a top 4 for the Flyers. I loved watching the Moose in his day, but he was really one dimensional. Kimo was on the top pp, pk.....ate huge minutes, gave every bit of his body in order to win. Another big difference between Kimo and Moose....poise. Kimo naturally had it, Moose did not. Kimo in his prime, could control the pace of the game, lugging the puck up the ice, he could turn on the jets and push the pace, or circle back and play more of a possession game.  Moose just gave an easy outlet and treated the puck like a hot potato. He rarely if ever lead a charge up the ice, he was not creative like that. Two totally different skill sets and it is not even close, Kimo was a much better D-man for the Flyers.

@jammer2 - if you look at those defensemen from the Cup teams individually, they weren't very impressive. Jimmy Watson was the best but he was nowhere near the top guys like Orr, Park, Robinson, etc... But collectively they got it done. One thing that may have worked in their favor- in those days it was ok to "freeze" the puck along the boards to get a face off. That was one of the biggest changes the league ever made probably, forcing teams to gain control of loose pucks.

@JackStraw  Oh yeah, they used the freeze the puck move often. It was better to get the draw because Clarke would probably win it, and even if he didn't you had Bernie Parent in net. Flyers always did a great job at clearing the porch....and if Parent saw it, he stopped it.

Archived