IT'S A SPLIT

Hockey%20Canada%20red%2050x50.jpguniversiade-TC-50x50.jpg
TEAM CANADA JRS. 5
C.I.S. SELECTS 0

Links:
Boxscores: [LeagueStat (OUA)]
Stories: [TSN] : [SportsNet] : [CIS] : [Hockey Canada]
Other: [UofA Gateway] : [Yahoo Preview]

I was unable to see much of this afternoon tilt. However, it is obvious that a big 2nd period paced the Juniors to a win and a series split. There were once again a lot of shots (42-33 for the Juniors).

Overall, the addition of 6 players each from the AUS and CWUAA made the CIS team vastly superior to the Team Big Lemon which played the last two years. However, when you don't have time for a practice I would say that a single team, or a two-team combo, would be even better.

Now we have to wait until after Christmas for the non-conference games:

Tue Dec 29 McGill at Yale 7:00 pm NCAA-x
Tue Dec 29 Guelph at Lakehead 7:30 pm Nc
Wed Dec 30 McGill at Holy Cross    4:05 pm    Nc NCAA-x
Wed Dec 30 Queen's at U.O.I.T. 7:30 pm Nc
Wed Dec 30 Guelph at Lakehead 7:30 pm Nc
Sat Jan 02 Concordia at New Brunswick TBA nc
Sat Jan 02 York at Toronto 4:00 pm Nc
Sun Jan 03 U.P.E.I. at St. Thomas 3:00 pm Nc
Sun Jan 03 Concordia at New Brunswick TBA nc
Sun Jan 03 Regina Vs Saskatchewan TBA Nc (at Bethune, Sk)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Dec 30
Guelph 4 Lakehead 6
McGill 2 Holy Cross (NCAA) 5
Queen's 1 U.O.I.T. 5

Is Lakehead going to turn it around in the 2nd half? A sweep of Guelph cannot be taken lightly.

The OUA is now 1-20-0 against the NCAA, with one game left. In contrast, the AUS went 5-7-1 and the CWUAA went 4-8-1.

UOIT seems poised to make a run to the upper echelon of the OUA East. They are just 1 point ahead of Queen's so a one-sided win is a bit of a surprise.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Jan 2
Concordia 3 New Brunwsick 7
Trinity Western (BCIHL) 0 Nebraska-Omaha (NCAA) 6
Laurentian at Acadia ???
York at Toronto ???

The games with reported scores are no shock. I was unable to find scores from Acadia and Toronto.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Jan 03
Concordia 1 New Brunswick 5
Laurentian at Saint Mary's ???
U.P.E.I. at St. Thomas ???

Concordia was blown away by UNB, thus ending a dismal interlock season for the OUA.

Lots of unreported games over the holidays. It leaves me wondering if the games were cancelled.

THE MONKEYS ARE COMING!

Alberta-square-1.jpgManitoba-square-headr.jpg
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (12-3-1, 18-5-3, OHT36 #3)
MANITOBA BISONS (7-7-2, 8-12-2, OHT36 #13)

Friday, January 8th, 7:00 CDT @ Wayne Fleming Arena
Saturday, January 9th, 4:00 CDT @ Wayne Fleming Arena

Live Links:
:. [Live Stats Friday] : [Live Stats Saturday]
:. [Video: CanadaWest.tv]
:. [CW Preview]

Manitoba Links:
:. [Preview Story] : [Karpan Coming for Banquet]
:. [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
:. [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Alberta Links:
:. [UofA Site]

Other Links:
:. [CIS Site] : [Schedule/Results/Links] : [Standings] : [Top 10]
:. [CW Site] : [Schedule/Results/Links] : [Top 10 Story]
:. [Every Link Re: CIS Hockey]

Previous Games:
:. [2015-11-06 Alta 3 Man 2 (ot)]
:. [2015-11-07 Man 3 Alta 2]

Finally, the hockey season is back in action! Too bad for me that my son's team is also playing ion Friday night, (Grrrrr.) Hopefully there will be good wifi and I can watch on my phone via CanadaWest.tv.

The Bisons started the season with a dismal pre-season, going 1-5-0. The fact that they have gone .500 in the regular season marks a huge improvement. The team needs to put up some points at home. After a 3-0-1 stretch against the Monkeys and Dinos, they came home to go 0-4-0 against Sask and Lethbridge.

The Bisons will need strong performances from their top forwards (DePape, Stovin, Merasty) and whichever goaltender gets the start. The Monkeys have dominated virtually every game on the shot clock, yet often find themselves tied or trailing. They will likely outshoot the Bisons, also.

In other news, Vaughn Karpan will be the guest speaker at the annual fund-raiser. He played 3 seasons for the Herd and played on the 1984 and 1988 Olympic teams. He now works for the Montreal Canaadiens.

karpan-bisons-80s-378x300.jpg
karpan-canada-300x470.jpg

ELSEWHERE:

UBC-head-sq-R-50x50.jpgMount-Royal-box-L-50x50.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (8-5-3, 9-8-4, OHT36 #9)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (9-5-2, 11-8-2, OHT36 #8)

Links:
:. [MRU Mid-Season] : [MRU Preview] :. [MRU Recruit]
:. [UBC Preview]

After a great start, UBC have stumbled a bit. Meanwhile, MRU have been slowly creeping upwards. The Bluegars have added Connor Rankin, formerly of the Calgary Hitmen. Third place is on the line in this one.

calgarybox50x50R.jpgRegina-square-body.gif
CALGARY DINOSAURS (5-8-3, 10-13-3, OHT36 #19)
REGINA COUGARS (4-12-0, 6-15-0, OHT36 #32)

Links:
:. [UofC Fall Review]
:. [UofR Preview]

Could Bedrock U fall out of the playoffs? Seemed unthinkable in September. Yet here we are. Regina is out of it, barring a miracle. Still, they will be hard to sweep on home ice.

Sask-square-head.gifLethbridge-square-headr.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (13-3-0, 16-4-0, OHT36 #1)
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (6-9-1, 12-11-1, OHT36 #18)

Links:
:. [UofL Preview]
:. [UofS Fall Review]

The H0rny Ones looked like they had pulled off the mpst dramatic turn-around in history. Then they got crushed by the Monkeys so bad it may have destroyed their confidence. My guess is that the Banjomutts are for real, so this will be a big test.

OUT EAST:

Link: [CIS Schedule/Results Page]

Wed Jan 06 Toronto 1 Ryerson 9
Thu Jan 07 Toronto 2 Laurier 3 (so)
Thu Jan 07 York 2 Guelph 5
Fri Jan 08 St. Thomas at Acadia
Fri Jan 08 Moncton at Saint Mary's
Fri Jan 08 Dalhousie at New Brunswick
Fri Jan 08 St. F-X at U.P.E.I.
Fri Jan 08 Brock at W. Ontario    
Fri Jan 08 Carleton at Lakehead    
Fri Jan 08 Queen's at U.Q.T.R.
Fri Jan 08 York at Windsor
Fri Jan 08 U.O.I.T. at Concordia
Fri Jan 08 Waterloo at Ryerson
Fri Jan 08 McGill at Laruentian
Sat Jan 09 Moncton at Acadia
Sat Jan 09 St. Thomas at Saint Mary's
Sat Jan 09 Dalhousie at U.P.E.I.
Sat Jan 09 St. F-X at New Brunswick
Sat Jan 09 U.O.I.T. at U.Q.T.R.    
Sat Jan 09 McGill at Nipissing
Sat Jan 09 Guelph at Waterloo
Sat Jan 09 Carleton at Lakehead
Sat Jan 09 W. Ontario at Laurier
Sat Jan 09 Brock at Windsor
Sat Jan 09 R.M.C. at Laurentian
Sun Jan 10 R.M.C. at Laurentian

Jan 8: Bisons beat Monkeys

Alberta-50px.jpgBisons-50px.gif
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4
MANITOBA BISONS 7

Links:
LeagueStat: [Summary]
Boxscores: [CIS] : [CW] : [UofM]
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [UofA]

The Herd evidently followed the formula for beating the Evil Monkeys. Let them outshoot you but beat them anyways. The shots were 39-22, however the teams traded goals for two periods, with the Monkeys leading just once (at 4-3). Of concern to the Monkeys has to be that Luke Siemens gave up 7 goals on 21 shots before being yanked. Byron Spriggs stopped 35 of 39 shots, which is OK but not really extraordinary. The Bisons also had 7 different goal-scorers (Brooks, DePape, Wasylak, Stovin, Brescaini, Merasty, and Hunter). Brock Sutherland was not dressed for the Bisons. The return match goes Saturday at 4:00 o'clock.

bisons-16-01-08.wasylak.jpgbisons-16-01-08.callis.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgRegina-50pxw.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS 6
REGINA COUGARS 2

Links:
Boxscores: [CIS] : [CW]
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [UofC]

With the Banjocats clinging to nothing more than a faint hope for a playoff berth, they coughed up a hairball on home ice against Bedrock U. Starting goaltender Mitch Kilgore was yanked after two periods, giving up 4 goals on 20 shots. Dawson MacAule then came in and gave up 2 more goals on 6 shots. Six different Dinos scored those goals for a comfortable road win. Steven Stanford picked up the win, stopping 26 of 28 shots. There are video highlights at the Regina game story link.

ubcwo50x50.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 6

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [UBC]

UBC previously lost showdowns for 1st and 2nd places, now they have lost a showdown for 3rd. The game was tied at 3-3 heading into the 3rd period but then managed just 4 shots on goal in the 3rd period. That will not win you many games. Cam Lanigan (usually the backup) got he win and Matt Hewitt took the loss. Jamie King scored a hat-trick for the Bluegars.

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpgLethbridge-50pxw.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 3
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 1

Links:
Stories: [UofL] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

The two teams combined for an 80 shot extraveganza. However, the goaltenders were up to the task in this one. Jordon Cooke got the win (stopping 37 of 38 shots) and Dylan Tate took the loss (stopping 39 of 41 shots). The 1st place Banjomutts did not wrap this one up until they scored an empty-netter. It looks like the H0rny Ones have bounced back from the 10-1 loss against the Monkeys before the break.

OUT EAST

OUA

Fri Jan 08 Brock 3 W. Ontario 2
Fri Jan 08 Carleton 2 Lakehead 3
Fri Jan 08 Queen's 4 U.Q.T.R. 3
Fri Jan 08 York 4 Windsor 0
Fri Jan 08 U.O.I.T. 5 Concordia 2
Fri Jan 08 Waterloo 3 Ryerson 2
Fri Jan 08 McGill 4 Laruentian 3

AUS

Fri Jan 08 St. Thomas 2 Acadia 7
Fri Jan 08 Moncton 1 Saint Mary's 4
Fri Jan 08 Dalhousie 0 New Brunswick 4
Fri Jan 08 St. F-X 5 U.P.E.I. 4 (ot)

[CIS Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT

Sat Jan 09 Moncton at Acadia
Sat Jan 09 St. Thomas at Saint Mary's
Sat Jan 09 Dalhousie at U.P.E.I.    
Sat Jan 09 St. F-X at New Brunswick
Sat Jan 09 U.O.I.T. at U.Q.T.R.        
Sat Jan 09 McGill at Nipissing    
Sat Jan 09 Guelph at Waterloo    
Sat Jan 09 Carleton at Lakehead    
Sat Jan 09 W. Ontario at Laurier
Sat Jan 09 Brock at Windsor    
Sat Jan 09 R.M.C. at Laurentian    
Sat Jan 09 Alberta at Manitoba 4:00 CT
Sat Jan 09 U.B.C. at Mount Royal 6:00 MT
Sat Jan 09 Calgary at Regina 7:00 CT
Sat Jan 09 Saskatchewan at Lethbridge 7:00 MT

All CW games available at CanadaWest.tv.

Jan 9: No Monkeying around as Bisons sweep Alberta

Alberta-50px.jpgBisons-50px.gif
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 3

Links:
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [UofA]

The hard to figure season in the CW continues as the Bisons have swept the Monkeys. There are two apt quotes from the game stories, one about the team and one about the captain. About the team they addressed the history against the Evil Monkeys:
The Bisons have really been paced by their top players, including Jordan CePape, the team captain.

Now, here's how they lined up:

MANITOBA

Goal:
1 Paulic (35 Spriggs)

Defence:
6 Paulsen 2 Henry
5 L Christensen 9 Hunter
3 S Christensen 4 Bresciani

Forwards:
16 Paradis 28 Stovin 27 DePape
24 Augert 25 Merasty 19 Waldvogel
18 Kelly 23 Schreyer 8 Bilton
17 Callis 21 Brooks 29 Wasylak

Scratches:
12 Sutherland 15 Stockl 20 Bruyere
22 Boyd 34 Sydora

ALBERTA

Goal:
30 Siemens (1 Demgarter)

Defence:
52 Rowley 5 Carr
29 Bredo 4 Yadlowski
25 Topping 7 Lange

Forwards:
9 Legault 14 Kieser 20 Rachinski
10 Crooks 11 Reddick 12 Hickmott
21 Derko 8 Ferguson 17 Hart
23 Clarkson 18 Dobrowolski 40 Koper

The game was tied 1-1 after the 1st and 2-2 after the 2nd. DePape and Kruise Reddick each scored power play goals in the 1st. Riley Keiser gave the Monkeys a short-lived lead early in the 2nd before Warren Callis tied it for the Bisons. After 34 minutes of scoreless play, Shaq Merasty plowed his way through a couple of Baboons to score just after a power play had expired. There was only 1:06 remaining in the game.

Although the shots were 48-23, the good scoring chances were fairly even, or at least way more even thatn the total shots. The Monkeys didn't have a lot of instances where they had the type of sustained pressure that had the Bisons running in circles. Still, winning goaltender Justin Paulic was a well-deserved 1st star. 46 saves is a tough night's work.

bisons-16-01-09-merasty.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgRegina-50pxw.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3
REGINA COUGARS 1

Links:
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofC]

Regina came back with a relatively strong outing, but the loss finishes their faint playoff hopes. Calgary's final goal was an empty-netter. Myles Hovdebo was the winning goaltender and Mitch Kilgore took the loss. Calgary will enjoy the 4 points. However I suspect that most teams will be getting 4 points from Regina most weekends from here on in.

ubcwo50x50.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 0  
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 1

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UBC]

1-0 games are rare. Both sides switched goaltenders from Friday night and clearly both played well. Colin Cooper stopped 23 shots for the shutout. Eric Williams stopped 32 shots in his own right.

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpgLethbridge-50pxw.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 7
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 2

Links:
Stories: [UofL] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

After a raucous game on Friday, this was just a blowout. Zac Stebner and John Lawrence had two goals each for the Banjomutts. Jordon Cooke got the win, and Dylan Tait took the loss.

STANDINGS

cw-standings-160109.jpg

OUT EAST

OUA

Sat Jan 09 U.O.I.T. 2 U.Q.T.R. 5
Sat Jan 09 McGill 5 Nipissing 1
Sat Jan 09 Guelph 1 Waterloo 3
Sat Jan 09 Carleton 8 Lakehead 2
Sat Jan 09 W. Ontario 2 Laurier 1
Sat Jan 09 Brock 2 Windsor 4
Sat Jan 09 R.M.C. 3 Laurentian 1

AUS

Sat Jan 09 Moncton 2 Acadia 8
Sat Jan 09 St. Thomas 0 Saint Mary's 7
Sat Jan 09 Dalhousie 1 U.P.E.I. 2 ot
Sat Jan 09 St. F-X 2 New Brunswick 6

[CIS Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT

Thu Jan 14 W. Ontario at Guelph    
Fri Jan 15 Mount Royal at Manitoba
Fri Jan 15 Calgary at Saskatchewan
Fri Jan 15 Lethbridge at Regina    
Fri Jan 15 U.B.C. at Alberta
Fri Jan 15 Acadia at St. Thomas    
Fri Jan 15 Saint Mary's at Moncton
Fri Jan 15 New Brunswick at Dalhousie
Fri Jan 15 U.P.E.I. at St. F-X
Fri Jan 15 Ryerson at Lakehead    
Fri Jan 15 Laurentian at Waterloo
Fri Jan 15 R.M.C. at McGill
Fri Jan 15 York at Brock
Fri Jan 15 Windsor at Toronto
Fri Jan 15 U.Q.T.R. at U.O.I.T.
Fri Jan 15 Concordia at Queen's    

The sweep of Alberta was just the first since the Canada West and GPAC merger in 1985-86, with the first sweep coming during the 1929-30 season when Manitoba outscored the Bears 7-3 in a pair of wins. It also marks the first time the Bears have not won a game in Winnipeg since the 1964-65 season, and it means that the Bisons have now taken seven of a possible eight points off the Bears this season.

Jordan DePape picked up where he left off after yesterday’s four-point night, netting a wrister top shelf on the Bisons first power-play of the evening at 10:54 to open the scoring. With the goal, DePape now has a 13-game point streak that began on Oct. 25, and also leads the conference with 29 points.

So this was a nice matinee.

Preview: Jan 15-16: Mount Royal at Manitoba 

BISONS COULD CHALLENGE FOR THIRD

Mount-Royal-box-50x50.jpgManitoba-square-headr.jpg
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (11-5-2, 13-8-2, OHT36 #8)
MANITOBA BISONS (9-7-2, 10-12-2, OHT36 #11)

Friday, January 15th, 7:00 CDT @ Wayne Fleming Arena
Saturday, January 16th, 1:00 CDT @ Wayne Fleming Arena

Live Links:

Manitoba Links:
:. [Preview Story] : [Ridley Awards]
:. [DePape Bison AoW] : [DePape CW 1st star]  [rp @ UofM]

Mount Royal Links:
:. [MRU Preview] : [Video]

Other Links:
:. [CW Site] : [Schedule/Results/Links] : [Crowchild Classic]

Previous Games:
:. [2015-10-16 MRU 6 Man 1 ]
:. [2015-10-17 MRU 3 Man 1 ]

The funny thing about CIS hockey is that it gets late early. This is ony the 2nd weekend after Christmas and it is the 2nd last home series for the Bisons.  There are only 10 games left for each team.

Last weekend the Bisons shocked the Monkeys and the Bluegars swept UBC. That allowed the Herd to jump opver UBC into 4th place. Now the Bisons are within 4 points of 3rd place MRU. Both teams are doing well lately. The Bisons are riding a 4 game winning streak, and MRU has won 7 of their last 8 games.

When these teams played in Cowgary in October, it was the Bisons' worst series of the season. Otherwise, the Bisons have done well against MRU, going 9-3-0 the previous 3 seasons, and winning a playoff series 2-1 as well.

Of note, Bisons Jordan DePape and Brett Stovin are two of the hottest players in the league. DePape is on a 13 game point streak and is the league's leading scorer (11-19-30). Stovin is on an 11 game point streak and is the leading rookie scorer, and 9th overall (9-10-19). Also of note, Shaq Merasty is 4th in scoring and leads the league in goals (12-9-21).

MRU also has many players to watch. Tyler Fiddler is 2nd in league scoring (9-18-27). They also have 4 more players in the top 20.

In goal, expect the Bisons to rotate and MRU to ride their #1. Both Bison goaltenders have had decent stats, but not all-star calibre. Byron Spriggs (3.21 GAA, .905 S%, 5-4-1) and Justin Paulic (3.33 GAA, .906 S%, 4-3-1) have almost identical numbers. On the other hand, Colin Cooper has started 14 of MRU's 18 games (2.48 GAA, .905 S%, 10-3-1).

ELSEWHERE:

UBC-head-sq-R-50x50.jpgAlberta-square-1.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (8-7-3, 9-10-4, OHT36 #12)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (12-5-1, 18-7-3, OHT36 #5)

Links:
:. [UofA Preview]
:. [UBC Site]

Both of these teams were swept last weekend, giving their seasons a dramatic change in complexion. UBC started the season at 6-0-2 and were challenging for 1st p;ace. Since then they have gone 2-7-1. They went from playing Saskatchewan in a showdown for 1st, to playing Alberta for 2nd, and last week playing MRU for 3rd. Meanwhile, after slowly creeping up on Saskatchewan, last weekend's sweep has to leave the Monkeys looking over their shoulders. They lead MRU by just one point.

calgarybox50x50R.jpgSask-square-head.gif
CALGARY DINOSAURS (7-8-3, 12-13-3, OHT36 #17)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (15-3-0, 18-4-0, OHT36 #2)

Links:
:. [UofS Preview]
:. [UofC Crowchild Preview]

Last weekend's developments gave the Banjomutts a 5 point lead over the Evil Monkeys in the race for 1st place. On the other hand, Bedrock U just broke a tie with Lethbridge in the battle for 6th. Sweeping the feline banjo afficionados is one thing, the canine version promises to be much tougher. The Dinos have been a big disapointment so far. After consecutive 2nd place finishes they were expected to do better. However, they did lose 2 quality goaltenders at the same time. This could be a telling weekend. Two losses would place the Dinos in playoff peril.

Lethbridge-square-head.jpgRegina-square-body.gif
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (6-11-1, 12-13-1, OHT36 #20)
REGINA COUGARS (4-14-0, 6-17-0, OHT36 #33)

Links:

When the H0rny Ones visited the Bisons back in November they left town with a sweep and a 5 game winning streak. Since then they have lost 6 straight games. This is their last stand. Last weekend they entered tied for 6th then were swept by Saskatchewan whilst Calgary swept Regina. They have to sweep this to keep pace.

OUT EAST:

AUS
Fri Jan 15 Acadia at St. Thomas            
Fri Jan 15 Saint Mary's at Moncton            
Fri Jan 15 New Brunswick at Dalhousie        
Fri Jan 15 U.P.E.I. at St. F-X            
Sat Jan 16 Acadia at Moncton                
Sat Jan 16 Saint Mary's at St. Thomas        
Sat Jan 16 U.P.E.I. at Dalhousie            
Sat Jan 16 New Brunswick at St. F-X            

OUA
Sun Jan 10 R.M.C. 2 Laurentian 1 (so)
Thu Jan 14 W. Ontario 3 Guelph 2
Fri Jan 15 Ryerson at Lakehead            
Fri Jan 15 Laurentian at Waterloo            
Fri Jan 15 R.M.C. at McGill                
Fri Jan 15 York at Brock
Fri Jan 15 Windsor at Toronto
Fri Jan 15 U.Q.T.R. at U.O.I.T.
Fri Jan 15 Concordia at Queen's
Sat Jan 16 W. Ontario at York                
Sat Jan 16 McGill at Carleton                
Sat Jan 16 Ryerson at Lakehead            
Sat Jan 16 Nipissing at Waterloo            
Sat Jan 16 Laurentian at Laurier            
Sat Jan 16 Concordia at U.O.I.T.
Sat Jan 16 Brock at Toronto    
Sat Jan 16 Windsor at Guelph
Sat Jan 16 U.Q.T.R. at Queen's
Sun Jan 17 Nipissing at Laurier

Jan 15: Bisons Edged at Home

MRU-50x50.jpgBisons-50px.gif
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3
MANITOBA BISONS 2

Links:
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [rp @MRU]

I was at my son's hockey game and just saw bits and pieces of this one at CanadaWest.tv. Cam Lamigan was the winning goaltender, stopping 25 of 27 shots. Justin Paulic took the loss, stopping 32 of 35. Lee Christensen scored his 1st and Dylan Kelly his 2nd for the Bisons.

bisons-16-01-15-group.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

ubcwo50x50.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6

Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UBC]

With the score tied 3-3 after two periods, the Evil Monkeys outshot UBC 23-5 in the 3rd period and won handily. Kruise Reddick scored all three 3rd period goals, Ryan Demharter got the win and Eric Williams took the loss.

Lethbridge-50pxw.jpgRegina-50pxw.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 6
REGINA COUGARS 4

Links:
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofC]

Regina outshot the Horny Ones 36-25. This was not a night for the goaltenders.

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgSask-green-50x50-1.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 4
(in overtime)

Links:
Stories: [UofS] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

Bedrock U salvahed an important point in this battle but must be thinking they could have had two. Jordon Cooke stopped 35 of 38 shots shots to pick up the win. Steven Stanford stopped just 19 of 23. The Dinos also had 5 OT shots stopped, whilst the Mutts scored on their one and only shot.

OUT EAST

AUS
Acadia 3 St. Thomas 2
Saint Mary's 8 Moncton 0
New Brunswick 2 Dalhousie 0
U.P.E.I. 2 St. F-X 5

OUA
Ryerson 2 Lakehead 5
Laurentian 2 Waterloo 6
R.M.C. 1 McGill 3
York 4 Brock 2
Windsor 5 Toronto 6
U.Q.T.R. 6 U.O.I.T. 2
Concordia 4 Queen's 3

[CIS Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT

CWUAA
Sat Jan 16 Mount Royal at Manitoba 1:00 pm CT
Sat Jan 16 Lethbridge at Regina 3:00 pm    CT
Sat Jan 16 U.B.C. at Alberta 6:00 pm MT
Sat Jan 16 Calgary at Saskatchewan 7:00 pm CT

AUS
Sat Jan 16 Acadia at Moncton
Sat Jan 16 Saint Mary's at St. Thomas
Sat Jan 16 U.P.E.I. at Dalhousie
Sat Jan 16 New Brunswick at St. F-X

OUA
Sat Jan 16 W. Ontario at York
Sat Jan 16 McGill at Carleton
Sat Jan 16 Ryerson at Lakehead
Sat Jan 16 Nipissing at Waterloo
Sat Jan 16 Laurentian at Laurier
Sat Jan 16 Concordia at U.O.I.T.
Sat Jan 16 Brock at Toronto    
Sat Jan 16 Windsor at Guelph
Sat Jan 16 U.Q.T.R. at Queen's

Jan 16: Home Woes Continue for Bisons

MRU-50x50.jpgBisons-50px.gif
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3
MANITOBA BISONS 1

Links:
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [rp @MRU]

The Bisons lost a close-fought game on Saturday afternoon. That alone does not create a big issue. However, it marks the 3rd time in 6 home series that they have been swept. (The other sweeps were against Sask and Lethbridge.) Their only 4 point series at home was against Alberta, of all people. They have one 3 point series (against Regina) and a 2 point series (against UBC). Perhaps the looming away series against Sask and Lethbridge will be a relief. The Herd is 5-2-1 on the road so far.

Jordan DePape scored his 12th of the season and Byron Spriggs stopped 34 of 36 shots in taking the loss. Included was a penalty shot save with 1:34 left, when they were trailing 2-1. A furious ending followed but the puck stayed out. One long rebound came out and with 3 seconds left an empty-netter put it away. Colin Cooper got the win, stopping 23 of 24 shots. In a staistical oddity, for the 2nd consecutive game each side had only one 2-minute penalty.

The win allows MRU to jump into a 2nd place tie with the Monkeys. They did a great job checking the Bisons, much better than any opponent thus far this season. It is looking like the Bisons, UBC, and Bedrock will fight it out for 4th place and a home playoff series.

bisons-16-01-16-schreyer.jpg
bisons-16-01-16-christensen.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

ubcwo50x50.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
(in shoot-out)
Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UBC]

I saw lots of this game on CanadaWest.tv. The Evil Monkeys once again dominated the shots but could not convert on a host of chances. Both sides switched goaltenders from Friday night. Matt Hewitt stopped 52 of 54 shots in the win, Luke Siemens stopped 24 of 26 in the loss. UBC won the shoot-out 1-0, the first one held in the CW this season.

Lethbridge-50pxw.jpgRegina-50pxw.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 3
REGINA COUGARS 6

Links:
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofL]

I did not think that he Banjocats would go winless for the rest of the season. So I guess it stood to reason that they would pick up a home win somewhere along the line. Too bad for the H0rny Ones that they turned out to be the victims. This loss will badly hurt their playoff hopes. Dawson MacAuley was back in the Regina goal and stopped 34 of 37 shots to claim the win. Damien Ketlo stopped 30 of 36 in taking the loss.

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgSask-green-50x50-1.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 8

Links:
Stories: [UofS] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

After an overtime game on Friday, many were thinking that Bedrock U was about to turn a corner. Nope. This was an emphatic win for the Mutts. The Dinos remain clinging to a playoff berth, and they can thank Regina for that. Jordon Cooke stopped 27 of 30 shots in claiming the win. Bedrock started Myles Hovdebo and he stopped 8 of 11 shots before being pulled in favour of Steven Stanford, who stopped 18 of 23. Those stats are worrisome. Both of those goaltenders now have a 3.02 GAA. Hovdebo has a .880 S% and Stanford is .881.

STANDINGS

cw-standings-16-01-16.jpg

OUT EAST

AUS
Acadia 3 Moncton 4 (ot)
Saint Mary's 6 St. Thomas 3
U.P.E.I. 1 Dalhousie 4
New Brunswick 3 St. F-X 2 (ot)

OUA
W. Ontario 3 York 2
McGill 3 Carleton 6
Ryerson 6 Lakehead 3
Nipissing 2 Waterloo 4
Laurentian 4 Laurier 3
Concordia 4 U.O.I.T. 5 (ot)
Brock 1 Toronto 4
Windsor 3 Guelph 6
U.Q.T.R. 3 Queen's 2 (ot)

[CIS Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT

Tue Jan 19 Acadia at Dalhousie
Tue Jan 19 Carleton at Queen's
Wed Jan 20 Concordia at U.Q.T.R.
Wed Jan 20 Laurier at Windsor
Thu Jan 21 Toronto at W. Ontario
Thu Jan 21 Brock at Ryerson
Thu Jan 21 Calgary at Mount Royal 8:00 pm MT (at Saddledome)
Fri Jan 22 Dalhousie at St. Thomas
Fri Jan 22 New Brunswick at St. Mary's
Fri Jan 22 St. F-X at Moncton
Fri Jan 22 U.P.E.I. at Acadia    
Fri Jan 22 U.O.I.T. at Nipissing    
Fri Jan 22 Guelph at McGill
Fri Jan 22 York at Waterloo
Fri Jan 22 Lakehead at Brock
Fri Jan 22 Carleton at Concordia
Fri Jan 22 Queen's at Laurentian
Fri Jan 22 Regina at Alberta 7:00 pm MT
Fri Jan 22 Mount Royal at Calgary 7:00 pm MT
Fri Jan 22 Manitoba at Lethbridge 7:00 pm MT
Fri Jan 22 Saskatchewan at U.B.C. 7:00 pm PT

Preview: Jan 22-23: Manitoba at Lethbridge

BISONS TRAVEL TO FACE DESPERATE PRONGHORNS

Manitoba-square-head.jpgLethbridge-square-headr.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS (9-9-2, 10-14-2, OHT36 #11)
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (7-12-1, 13-14-1, OHT36 #22)

Friday, January 22nd, 7:00 MST/8:00 CST @ Lethbridge
Saturday, January 23rd, 1:00 MST/2:00 CST @ Lethbridge

Live Links:

Manitoba Links:
:. [Team Site]

Lethbridge Links:
:. [Brock Hirsche Cancer Story] : [Lethbridge Herald]

Other Links:
:. [CW Site] : [Schedule/Results/Links]

Previous Games:
:. [2015-11-13 Leth 7 Man 5 ]
:. [2015-11-14 Leth 5 Man 1 ]

The H0rny Ones are making what could be their last stand this weekend as they host the Bisons. Once tied for a playoff berth, they now trail 6th place Calgary by 3 points. The Bisons are one point behind UBC in the battle for 4th place and a home playoff series.

The Bisons may not be too concenred about a home series. Their home record has been terrible, 4-7-1. Included in that are the two losses to Lethbridge in November. Even so, the Bisons are 13-5-0 against Lethbridge over the last 5 years.

ELSEWHERE:

Regina-square-body.gifAlberta-square-1.jpg
REGINA COUGARS (5-15-0, 7-18-0, OHT36 #33)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (13-5-2, 19-7-4, OHT36 #5)

Links:

The Evil Monkeys appeared to be finding themselves. However, they are just 1-2-1 in the new year. They have shown they can dominate the shot clock but have had trouble burrying teams on the scoreboard. The last place Banjocats should solve that problem. Anything less than 4 points here would disappoint the Primates.

calgarybox50x50R.jpgMount-Royal-box-L-50x50.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS (7-9-4, 12-14-4, OHT36 #18)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (13-5-2, 15-8-2, OHT36 #6)

Links:
:. [MRU Preview]: [rp @CW]
:. [UofC Preview]

This is in progress as I post. The series is going Thursday-Friday, as part of the Crowchild Classic series between the cross-town rivals. The Thursday game will be played at the Saddledome. The Dinos have been on the verge of missing the playoffs all season. Meanwhile, MRU have improved so that they are tied for 2nd place. I would expect a tough series with the Dinos needing points to bury Lethbridge.

Sask-square-head.gifUBC-head-sq-L-50x50.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (17-3-0, 20-4-0, OHT36 #1)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (9-8-3, 10-11-4, OHT36 #10)

Links:
:. [UofS Site]

The Banjomutts are having a remarkable season. They have regained the #1 spot in the OHT36. UBC have cooled off fater a hot start. They need some home points here if they want to hold off the Bisons and Bedrock U in the fight for 4th.

OUT EAST:

Tue Jan 19 Acadia 5 Dalhousie 2
Tue Jan 19 Carleton 3 Queen's 2
Wed Jan 20 Concordia 2 U.Q.T.R. 5
Wed Jan 20 Laurier 2 Windsor 1
Thu Jan 21 Toronto at W. Ontario
Thu Jan 21 Brock at Ryerson
Fri Jan 22 Dalhousie at St. Thomas
Fri Jan 22 New Brunswick at St. Mary's
Fri Jan 22 St. F-X at Moncton
Fri Jan 22 U.P.E.I. at Acadia
Fri Jan 22 U.O.I.T. at Nipissing
Fri Jan 22 Guelph at McGill
Fri Jan 22 York at Waterloo
Fri Jan 22 Lakehead at Brock
Fri Jan 22 Carleton at Concordia
Fri Jan 22 Queen's at Laurentian

Jan 22: Bad 1st Finishes Bisons

Bisons-50px.gifLethbridge-50pxw.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS 2
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 5

Links:
Boxscores: [CIS] : [CW] : [UofM (not yet posted)]
Stories: [UofL] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM (not yet posted)]

The Bisons came out flat and it cost them. In the 1st period they were outshot 12-6 and were down 4-0. They pulled Byron Spriggs at that point and put Justin Paulic in the net. The team rallied in vain, outshooting the H0rny Ones 33-16 over the final two periods. But Damien Ketlo made the saves needed to hang on to the win. Adam Henry and Brett Stovin scored for the Herd. The rematch goes Saturday at 2:00 central time.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpgubcwo50x50.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 0

Links:
Stories: [UBC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS (not yet posted)]

Saskatchewan scored twice in the 1st and that was all they needed. Jordon Cooke got the shutout and Mark Hewitt took the loss.

Regina-50pxw.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
REGINA COUGARS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [UofR]

This marked the Evil Monkeys' 31st straight win over the Banjocats. The bif stiry was that Dawson MacAuley stopped 54 of 57 shots. The game was not secured until the Monkeys got an empty-netter. Luke Siemens stopped 18 of 19 to register the win.

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS 2
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 1
(in overtime)

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [UofC 1] : [UofC 2]

This was played Thursday at the Saddledome before almost 13,000 fans. The rematch was played Friday night. At the Saddledome, MRU went with Cam Lanigan. So it seems they are now going to rotate goaltenders after riding Colin Cooper all year. The Dinos went with Steven Stanford.

MRU-50x50.jpgdinos-2013-50x50.jpg
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 1
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3

Links:
Stories: [UofC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @MRU]

Strange how so few people would show up to see the rematch after such a good game on Thursday. Anyhow, Steven Stanford got the win and Colin Cooper took the loss. Elfin Pearce scored twice for the Dinos. What a turn around for Bedrock U. For the first time they were underdogs in this Crowchild Classic weekend and they escape with 4 points.

OUT EAST

AUS

Fri Jan 22
Dalhousie 3 St. Thomas 4 (so)
New Brunswick 6 Saint Mary's 5
St. F-X 6 Moncton 3
U.P.E.I. 3 Acadia 1

OUA

Thu Jan 21
Toronto 2 W. Ontario 3
Brock 0 Ryerson 3

Fri Jan 22
U.O.I.T. 5 Nipissing 3
Guelph 2 McGill 5
York 2 Waterloo 1
Lakehead 4 Brock 3 (ot)
Carleton 4 Concordia 3 (ot)
Queen's 3 Laurentian 2

[CIS Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT

Sat Jan 23
Dalhousie at Moncton
New Brunswick at Acadia
St. F-X at St. Thomas    
U.P.E.I. at Saint Mary's
W. Ontario at McGill
Lakehead at York
Queen's at Nipissing
Concordia at Carleton
Waterloo at Laurier
Guelph at Toronto
Windsor at Ryerson
U.O.I.T. at Laurentian
U.S. Army at R.M.C. NCAA-x
Manitoba at Lethbridge 1:00 MST / 2:00 CST
Regina at Alberta 6:00 MST
Saskatchewan at U.B.C. 7:00 PST

Jan 23: Bisons Get the Split

Bisons-50px.gifLethbridge-50pxw.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS 4
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 1

Links:
Stories: [UofL] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM]
Friday @UofM: [Game Story] : [Boxscore]

After a bad 1st period on Friday night, the Bisons bounced back with 5 solid periods to salvage a weekend split. The two points vault them into a 4th place tie with the Dinos. In my view, this series was the last stand for Lethbridge. They will need a lot of help now if they want a playoff berth.

This was a very free-wheeling game by Bison (and, for that matter, CW) standards. The Bisons outshot the H0rny Ones 45-35 on the afternoon. Both sides switched starting goaltenders, the Bisons going with Justin Paulic and the `Horns with Dylan Tait. Rene Hunter scored his 3rd goal of the season just 27 seconds into the 1st period. Before the period was over each side's leading scorers added another to make it 2-1. Jordan DePape scored his 13th for the Bisons and Tim Campbell recorded his 10th for the hosts. The Herd had one goal in each of the following periods, with Lee Christensen and Joel Schreyer both scoring their 2nd goals of the season.

The Bisons generally carried the play, as reflected by the shot clock. However, Lethbridge had the edge in fast break plays where a quality chance materialized out of nowhere. The Bisons also have to be happy that they got some goals from outside their upper crust.

Next weekend both sides are on the road, the Bisons travel to Banjoland to gace the Huskies and the `Horns will be at UBC. Anything less than 4 points would likely bury Lethbridge.

bisons-16-01-23-merasty.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Regina-50pxw.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
REGINA COUGARS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [UofR]

The Evil Monkeys once again dominated their opponent and were rewarded with a clean victory and a weekend sweep. The four point series was to be expected. The results leave the Monkeys nicely nestled into 2nd place, 4 points behind Sask and 3 points ahead of MRU.

Luke Siemens once again started in the Monkey Cage, and stopped 23 of 24 shots. He appears to have withstood the rough series in Friendly Manitoba when he was yanked like a rotten tooth. Dawson MacAuley started for Regina, and stopped 33 of 37 shots before being replaced by Andy Desautels for the final 13 minutes. Levko Koper scored his 10th and 11th goals of the season.

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpgubcwo50x50.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 2

Links:
Stories: [UBC*] : [rp @CW*] : [rp @UofS*]

The dream season for the Mangy Ones continued out in British California. It seems strange to say that UBC held a 2-1 lead early in the 3rd period. Sask won the game with backup goaltender Blake Voth getting a start. He stopped 17 of 19 shots for the win. Meanwhile, Eric Williams stopped 34 of 39 in the loss. Kohi Baumi and Connor Cox each had two goals for Sask, allowing them to drink from the toilet of their choice in their post-game celebrations. UBC has now fallen to 5th place and are in a 2-8 slump.

STANDINGS

cw-standings-160123.jpg.png

cw-scorers-160123.jpg.png

OUT EAST

AUS

Sat Jan 23
Dalhousie 6 Moncton 1
New Brunswick 4 Acadia 0
St. F-X 5 St. Thomas 1
U.P.E.I. 2 Saint Mary's 4

OUA

Sat Jan 23
W. Ontario 4 McGill 2
Lakehead 1 York 3
Queen's 3 Nipissing 1
Concordia 1 Carleton 4
Waterloo 1 Laurier 4
Guelph 1 Toronto 2
Windsor 2 Ryerson 1
U.O.I.T. 3 Laurentian 2

NCAA Exhibition
U.S. Army 4 R.M.C. 3

[CIS Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT

Wed Jan 27
Saint Mary's at Dalhousie
St. F-X at Acadia
St. Thomas at New Brunswick
Moncton at U.P.E.I.
McGill at U.Q.T.R.
Guelph at Brock

Thu Jan 28
Carleton at U.O.I.T.
Guelph at Ryerson

Fri Jan 29
Manitoba at Saskatchewan 7:00 CST
Calgary at Alberta 7:00 MST
Regina at Mount Royal 7:00 MST
Lethbridge at U.B.C. 7:00 PST
Acadia at Saint Mary's
St. Thomas at Moncton
U.P.E.I. at New Brunswick
R.M.C. at U.O.I.T.
Waterloo at Lakehead
Laurier at Brock
Toronto at Windsor
Carleton at Queen's
Nipissing at Laurentian

Preview: Jan 29-30: Manitoba at Saskatchewan

BISONS OFF TO SASKATOWN

Manitoba-square-head.jpgSask-square-head.gif
MANITOBA BISONS (10-10-2, 11-15-2, OHT36 #11)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (19-3-0, 22-4-0, OHT36 #1)

Friday, January 29th, 7:00 CST @ Saskatoon
Saturday, January 30th, 7:00 CST @ Saskatoon

Live Links:

Manitoba Links:

Saskatchewan Links:
:. [UofS Preview] : [rp @CW]

Other Links:

Previous Games:
:. [2015-11-20 Sask 6 Man 3 ]
:. [2015-11-21 Sask 4 Man 3 ]

After sweeping the Mangy Ones last season, the Bisons are having a much harder time with them this time around. Of course, a year ago the Mutts were 6th, finishing closer to 7th than to 5th. They were massive under-achievers. To the extent that they were under-achievers a year ago, they have been over-achievers so far this season. In head-to-head play over the past five seasons each team has 9 wins, and the Bisons have a 20-19 edge in points.

The Banjomutts were not a fancied team this year. Most pundits thought Alberta would be in 1st with their sites set on a 3rd straight national title. So how have the Mutts turned things so quictly and unexpectedly? Well, their top 3 scorers are all rookies: Kohl Bauml, Levi Cable and Andrew Johnson. And Jordon Cooke has been beyond expectations in goal.

The Herd counters with three of the best forwards in the CW. Jordan DePape is the leading scorer while Shaq Merasty and Brett Stovin are also in the top 10.

One funny note: All three of Sask's losses have come at their home arena - The Rutherdump!

ELSEWHERE:

Alberta-square-1.jpgcalgarybox50x50L.jpg
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (15-5-2, 21-7-4, OHT36 #5)
CALGARY DINOSAURS (9-9-4, 14-14-4, OHT36 #12)

Links:

This Battle of Alberta has lost some lustre from a year ago when they were the top two teams in the CW. Right now, the Monkeys seem isolated in 2nd and the Dinos are tied with the Bisons for 4th. This is a home and home series, starting in Edmontown and finishing in the Town of Bedrock. In a tight conference one weekend can change things dramatically. Bedrock U was fliritng with 7th until they swept MRU last week. This will be a big test for them. Will their goaltending hold up against the likely Primate assault?

Regina-square-body.gifMount-Royal-box-L-50x50.jpg
REGINA COUGARS (5-17-0, 7-20-0, OHT36 #33)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (13-6-3, 15-9-3, OHT36 #8)

Links:
:. [MRU Preview] : [video]

Cougar vs Cougar does not have much appeal this season. The Bluegars seemed on their way to contender status. Last week's sweep in the Crowchild Classic calls that into question. They need an emphatic sweep on home ice. For the Banjocats they have nothing to gain except for spoiler status.

Lethbridge-square-head.jpgUBC-head-sq-L-50x50.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (8-13-1, 14-15-1, OHT36 #22)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (9-10-3, 10-13-4, OHT36 #15)

Links:

Things are simple for the H0rny Ones: sweep this series or pack up for next year. Could they do it? Well, this is the Battle of the Slumps. Both sides had optimism and now face despair. Lethbridge achieved their peak when they swept the Bisons in November. After that they went 0-6-0 before splitting their last two series. UBC was in the race for 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd ... and now they are 6th and hoping to still be there come Sunday. UBC peaked in October, when they were 6-0-2. Since they have goine 3-10-1.

OUT EAST:

Wed Jan 27 Saint Mary's 5 Dalhousie 4
Wed Jan 27 St. F-X 2 Acadia 3
Wed Jan 27 St. Thomas 2 New Brunswick 8
Wed Jan 27 Moncton 4 U.P.E.I. 2
Wed Jan 27 McGill 1 U.Q.T.R. 6
Wed Jan 27 Guelph 5 Brock 4
Thu Jan 28 Carleton 3 U.O.I.T. 2 (so)
Thu Jan 28 Guelph 0 Ryerson 5
Fri Jan 29 St. F-X at Dalhousie    
Fri Jan 29 Acadia at Saint Mary's
Fri Jan 29 St. Thomas at Moncton
Fri Jan 29 U.P.E.I. at New Brunswick
Fri Jan 29 R.M.C. at U.O.I.T.
Fri Jan 29 Waterloo at Lakehead
Fri Jan 29 Laurier at Brock
Fri Jan 29 Toronto at Windsor
Fri Jan 29 Carleton at Queen's
Fri Jan 29 Nipissing at Laurentian

Jan 29: Short-Staffed Bisons Lose Big

Bisons-50px.gifSask-green-50x50-1.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 8

Links:
Stories: [UofS] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM]

For the 2nd week in a row, the Bisons came out dead on Friday night and could not rebound. Will they bounce back like last weekend? It will be tough. They only dressed 17 skaters, and only 5 were defencemen. Brock Sutherland has not played since the break and Rene Hunter also missed. IMO they are the best defensive players they have. Two Terriers, Zach Waldvogel and Jordyn Boyd, were absent. Also scratched were two players who have yet to dress, goaltender Dasan Sydora and forward Chris Stockl. I doubt that they will have any replacements coming in.

For the Bisons, Justin Paulic took the loss, stopping 36 of 44 shots. Goals came from Warren Callis, Jordan ePape, and Brett Stovin. Jordon Cooke stopped 23 of 26 shots to claim the win for Banjo overs everywhere.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Lethbridge-50pxw.jpgubcwo50x50.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 1

Links:
Stories: [UBC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofL]
Profile: [Neil Manning interview]

The H0rny Ones got a shot of Viagra, took a trip to British California, then got a valuable 2 points before a crowd of 3,557. They now draw within 2 points of the Tweety Birds. Damien Ketlo got the win, Mark Hewitt took the loss.

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS 6
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofC]

So the same old story for the Evil Monkeys. I still expect them to turn shots advantage into a big winning streak. But look at these numbers. Luke Siemens gave up 6 goals on 19 shots. Steven Stanford got the win, stopping 29 of 33. This big road win for Bedrock U puts them in 4th place, 2 points up on the Bisons. And just a couple of weeks ago the Dinosaurs were going extinct.

Regina-50pxw.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg
REGINA COUGARS 3
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 5

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [UofR]

Maybe we should just let the Banjocats die with dignity. Anyhow, this Cougar Fight went to the Bluegars. The score was 2-2 after the 1st. MRU doubled the shots, 40-20. Cam Lanigan picked up the win and Mitch Kilgore suffered the loss.

OUT EAST

AUS

St. F-X 1 Dalhousie 4
Acadia 3 Saint Mary's 4
St. Thomas 2 Moncton 6
U.P.E.I. 1 New Brunswick 2

OUA

R.M.C. 2 U.O.I.T. 4
Waterloo 2 Lakehead 5
Laurier 7 Brock 4
Toronto 3 Windsor 1
Carleton 0 Queen's 2
Nipissing 5 Laurentian 4 (ot)

[CIS Schedule/Results]

Jan 30: Bisons Lose Another Game and Another Defenceman

Bisons-50px.gifSask-green-50x50-1.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS 2
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5

Links:
Stories: [UofS] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM]

The game did not start on a pleasant note as the Bisons, down to just 5 defencemen for Friday's game, lost yet another for Saturday's. Luke Paulsen did not suit up. I was concerned when the team had just 7 defencemen on the roster at the start of the season and now that injuries have piled up the team is in trouble. They will need to scour the campus for unaffiliated players with junior experience.

The game itself was closer than the score would indicate. The shots were 31-27 in favour of the Mutts. Jordon Cooke picked up the win and Byron Spriggs took the loss. Jordan DePape (15th) and Jonah Wasylak (2nd) had the Bison goals. DePape leads the league in goals and points.

Thw results of the weekend leave the Bisons clinging to 5th, just one point ahead of UBC and Lethbridge. Sask has wrapped up first even wioth 4 games remaining in the regular season.

bisons-sask-16-01-30.1.jpg

bisons-sask-16-01-30.2.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Lethbridge-50pxw.jpgubcwo50x50.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3
(in overtime)

Links:
Stories: [UBC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofL]
\
I was up late watching this one on-line. It was a very good game. UBC rallied in an attempt to break their slump but just could not do it. The Birds carried the play (marfinally) for most of the game. But the H0rny Ones had all 6 shots taken in overtime. Damien Ketlo again started for Lethbridge and stopped 23 of 26 shots through two periods. Dylan Tait stepped in to play the 3rd and stopped all 10 shots he faced. UBC stuck with Matt Hewitt, and he stopped 31 of 35 shots. UBC is on the road to face Regina next weekend and anything less than 4 points could leave them in a precarious position.

Alberta-50px.jpgdinos-2013-50x50.jpg
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
CALGARY DINOSAURS 5

Links:
Stories: [UofC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofA]

The Dinos built a 3-1 1st period lead. but the Monkeys pulled even in the 3rd period. Yet once again the goalending question mark arose. Bedrock U scored 2 goals on 4 shots in the 3rd period to sweep the weekend. Ryan Demharter had the start for Saudi Alberta and stopped 14 of 19 shots. Steven Stanford again started for the Dinos and stopped 23 of 26 shots. Eight different players scored the goals. This sweep causes an unexpected shake-up in the CW standings. The Dinos are now somewhat safely ensconced in 4th place, 4 points ahead of Manitoba. Alberta now falls into 3rd place, meaning they would have to win an away series to defend their title in the nationals.

Regina-50pxw.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg
REGINA COUGARS 3
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 7

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [UofR]

The Banjo-loving Cougars gave the Bluegars a serious run for two periods. The score was tied 2-2 and Regina was outshooting MRU 28-21 at that time. But the 3rd period saw the freen Cougars fall apart. MRU fired 19 shots at Mitch Kilgore and walked off with a lop-sided win. MRU continued their goaltender rotation, going with Chris Cooper. The win vaults MRU into 2nd place, one point ahead of the Evil Monkeys. And the Bluegars will gace the Apes in the final weekend of the season.

STANDINGS

cw-standings-1601230.jpg

OUT EAST

AUS

New Brunswick 4 Moncton 3
U.P.E.I. 6 St. Thomas 3
Saint Mary's at St. F-X - rescheduled to Jan 31

OUA

York 3 W. Ontario 2
Queen's 2 McGill 3
Waterloo 5 Lakehead 4
Laurentian 2 Nipissing 4
Ryerson 1 Windsor 7

[CIS Schedule/Results]
[CIS Standings]

UP NEXT

Sun Jan 31 Saint Mary's at St. F-X
Tue Feb 02 Laurier at Guelph
Thu Feb 04 U.O.I.T. at Laurier
Thu Feb 04 R.M.C. at Queen's
Fri Feb 05 Calgary at Manitoba
Fri Feb 05 U.B.C. at Regina
Fri Feb 05 Saskatchewan at Alberta
Fri Feb 05 Mount Royal at Lethbridge
Fri Feb 05 St. Thomas at Dalhousie
Fri Feb 05 Moncton at St. F-X
Fri Feb 05 Saint Mary's at New Brunswick
Fri Feb 05 Acadia at U.P.E.I.
Fri Feb 05 Ryerson at York
Fri Feb 05 U.O.I.T. at Waterloo
Fri Feb 05 Concordia at McGill
Fri Feb 05 U.Q.T.R. at R.M.C.
Fri Feb 05 Windsor at Brock
Fri Feb 05 Lakehead at Guelph
Fri Feb 05 W. Ontario at Toronto
Fri Feb 05 Carleton at Nipissing

Preview: Feb 5-6: Calgary at Manitoba

BEDROCK BOYS IN TOWN FOR BISONS' FINAL HOMESTAND

calgarybox50x50R.jpgManitoba-square-headr.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (11-9-4, 16-14-4, OHT36 #11)

MANITOBA BISONS (10-12-2, 11-17-2, OHT36 #15)

Friday, February 5th, 7:00 CST @ Wayne Fleming Arena

Saturday, February 6th, 1:00 CST @ Wayne Fleming Arena

Live Links:

Manitoba Links:

Calgary Links:

Other Links:

:. [CW Weekend Preview]

Previous Games:

:. [2015-10-30 Man 3 Cal 1 ]

:. [2015-10-31 Man 5 Cal 2 ]

The Town of Bedrock once again has some optimism for the Dinos. They have done well in recent years and seemed to be the CW's #2 team, just behind the Evil Monkeys. Mid-way through this season they were flirting with 7th place. Hpweber, a 6-1-1 record in the 2nd semester has boosted them to 4th place, a full 4 points ahead of the Bisons. Included in that stretch are sweeps of MRU and Alberta, no easy task.

The Bisons are only 3-5-0 this semester. In last weekend's losses to Sask, they started play with 5 defencemen and on Saturday were down to 4. Brock Sutherland has not played since Christmas and Rene Hunter missed all last weekend. Then Luke Paulsen missed Saturday's game. Calgary lacks Sask's offenseive punch, but still the Bisons will need a full compliment of healthy rear-guards to win games.

The Herd's leading scorers are amongst the conference's best. Jordan DePape leads the league, and Brett Stovin (12th) and Shaq Merasty (16th) are also in the Top 20. Calgary has Chris Collins (9th) and Elfin Pearce (13th) to brag about.

The big question mark for Calgary heading into the season was in goal. In recent seasons they had not one but two national elite goaltenders (Lazaruk and DeSerres). This year they have Steven Stanford (2.82 GAA, .893 S%, 8-5-4), a red shirt last year after having played at UBC, and veteran backup Myles Hovdebo (3.02 GAA, .880 S%, 3-4-0). Stanford has had some good performances lately. However his career .897 S% woiuld indicate that he is basically playing to his accustomed level.

The Bison goaltending has been decent. It appears that the team has settled upon the rotation method. I prefer to rate goaltenders by save percentage and by that measure Justin Paulic (3.40 GAA, .904 S%. 5-5-1) is 5th and Byron Spriggs (3.50 GAA, .897 S%, 5-7-1) is 9th in th CW. Those two have had comparable stats for most of the season.

The two sides have been very evenly matched over the past 5 years. Each team has 10 wins, and Bisons hold the edge in points, 25-21.

Saturday's matinee is Seniors Day, as it is for all teams in their final home game. However, the Bisons have no 5th year players. Perhaps some of their four 4th year players are graduating. At the other end of the scale the Bisons have 9 rookies and Bedrock has none.

ELSEWHERE:

Sask-square-head.gifAlberta-square-1.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (21-3-0, 24-4-0, OHT36 #1)

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (15-7-2, 21-9-4, OHT36 #4)

Links:

:. [UofS Sute]

At one time this series had the prospect of being the marquee match-up in the entire CIS. However, Sask has clinched 1st and no doubt spent the entire week in hootananny mode, with banjo music and moonshine for everybody. Will this give the Evil Monkeys the edge? Since they have slumped to 3rd place, it had better. The Monkeys are not accustomed to playing in the quarter-finals and then on the road in the semi-finals.

UBC-head-sq-R-50x50.jpgRegina-square-body.gif

U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (9-11-4, 10-14-5, OHT36 #14)

REGINA COUGARS (5-19-0, 7-22-0, OHT36 #31)

Links:

The Banjocats will have a lot of well-wishers in their final homestand of a disappointing season. If they could hold the Birds to something less than 4 points they will be shipped new kazoos from everybody in Calgary, Manitoba, and Lethbridge. IMO they have a reasonable shot at doing just that. My thought is they will have at least one strong performance, which may or may not be enough. Regina has had it rough all year, and are 1-7-0 in the new year. However, UBC is not much better at 1-6-1. UBC reached their high-water mark at the end of October when they swept Regina out in British California. They then went 2-5-1 to end the 1st semester. That means for November through January they were a dismal 3-11-2.

Mount-Royal-box-50x50.jpgLethbridge-square-headr.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (15-6-3, 17-9-3, OHT36 #6)

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (10-13-1, 16-15-1, OHT36 #18)

Links:

:. [MRU Site]

This is a home-and-home series of vital importance to both sides. MRU is one point up on Alberta in the fight for 2nd, whilst Lethbridge is a point behind UBC and Manitoba in the race for 5th and 6th places. Last year MRU faded down the stretch and lost out to Calgary in the race for 2nd. To get 2nd place this year they need to do things like sweep a good, but not great, team like the H0rny Ones. The Bluegars have gone 6-1-1 in the new year, which has been what has enabled them to pip Alberta. Lethbridge split with the Bisons 2 weeks ago and that seemed to put them on the verge of elimination. But the sweep in UBC has changed their outlook.

OUT EAST:

OUA

Tue Feb 02

Laurier 1 Guelph 5

Thu Feb 04

U.O.I.T. 3 Laurier 2

R.M.C. 2 Queen's 6

Fri Feb 05

Ryerson at York

U.O.I.T. at Waterloo

Concordia at McGill

U.Q.T.R. at R.M.C.

Windsor at Brock

Lakehead at Guelph

W. Ontario at Toronto

Carleton at Nipissing

AUS

Sun Jan 31

Saint Mary's 4 St. F-X 2

Fri Feb 05

St. Thomas at Dalhousie

Moncton at St. F-X

Saint Mary's at New Brunswick

Acadia at U.P.E.I.

Feb 5: Bison Win Tightens Playoff Race

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgBisons-50px.gif
CALGARY DINOSAURS 4
MANITOBA BISONS 6

Links:
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM]

It is very hard to predict how teams in the CW will fare from one week to the next. Last weekend the Dinos swept the Evil Monkeys whilst the Bisons were swept by the Mutts. On Friday the teams switched partners and the swept became the victors. The Bisons needed a win to maintain a chance at 4th place and a home playoff series, and now they have it.

I tried in vain to access the game through CanadaWest.tv while attending my son's game. No luck. The folks at Stretch Internet have not been doing well lately in my books. Anyhow, the Bisons had Rene Hunter back in the line-up, so they had 5 defencemen. Brock Sutherland and Luke Paulsen remain on the shelf.

The 2nd period was a wild one, as each side scored 3 times. Jordan DePape (16th) and Jonah Wasyluk (3rd) scored in the 1st period and the Bisons led the game 2-1. The Herd then built a 5-2 lead in the 2nd on goals from Rene Hunter (4th), Jordyn Boyd (1st), and Liam Bilton (6th). However, two late goals 38 seconds apart allowed Bedrock U to make it 5-4 going into the intermission. Then, all of a sudden, the teams played some D. In the 3rd period the Dinos had just 6 shots and the only goal was DePape's empty-netter.

Byron Spriggs got the win, stopping 22 of 26 shots. Steven Stanford took the loss and stopped 30 of 36 shots.

bisons-16-02-05..jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

ubcwo50x50.jpgRegina-50pxw.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 5
REGINA COUGARS 3

Links:
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UBC*]

UBC badly need a sweep of this series and they got off to a good start. This was a wide-open affair featuring 47 shots by UBC and 34 by Regina. So a split for Regina is not completely out of the question. This game was not decided until UBC scored an empty-netter. Eric Williams got the win and Dawson MacAuley took the loss.

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 0
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3

Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

I was able to see a bit of this and this was a penalty filled game. There were 68 minutes in penalties in the 3rd period. The oft-maligned Luke Siemens stopped 23 shots for the shut-out. Jordon Cooke stopped 22 of the 25 shots he faced.

MRU-50x50.jpgLethbridge-50pxw.jpg
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 7
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 1

Links:
Stories: [UofL] : [rp @CW] : [rp @MRU]

After last weekend, the Horny Ones had their hopes up. But what a one-sided loss. The shots were enormous - 48-44 in favour of MRU. The Bluegars kept to their recent rotation schedule, starting Cam Lanigan in goal. Meanwhile, Damien Ketlo started but split the game with Dyland Tait. If Lethbridge loses again on Saturday, and Manitoba and UBC win their games, then Lethbridge will be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

OUT EAST

AUS

St. Thomas 1 Dalhousie 4
Moncton 2 St. F-X 4
Saint Mary's 2 New Brunswick 6
Acadia 2 U.P.E.I. 1 (so)

OUA

Ryerson 4 York 3 (ot)
U.O.I.T. 4 Waterloo 8
Concordia 3 McGill 7
U.Q.T.R. at R.M.C. ppd
Windsor 7 Brock 1
Lakehead 2 Guelph 6
W. Ontario 4 Toronto 3
Carleton 1 Nipissing 4

[CIS Schedule/Results]
[CIS Standings]

NEXT UP

Sat Feb 06
Calgary at Manitoba 1:00 pm CST
Saskatchewan at Alberta    6:00 pm    MST
Lethbridge at Mount Royal 6:00 pm MST
U.B.C. at Regina 7:00 pm CST
Moncton at Dalhousie
Acadia at New Brunswick
St. Thomas at St. F-X
Saint Mary's at U.P.E.I.
Windsor at W. Ontario
Brock at York
Queen's at Waterloo
U.Q.T.R. at Nipissing
Lakehead at Guelph
Ryerson at Toronto
Carleton at Laurentian

Sun Feb 07
Concordia at R.M.C.
Queen's at Laurier

dinos-2013-50x50.jpgBisons-50px.gif
CALGARY DINOSAURS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 5

Links:
Stories: [UofM] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofC*]

The Bisons are down one more defenceman as Lee Christensen did not answer the bell. That left them with just four defencemen for this matinee against Bedrock U. The short-staffed defence did a great job, especially as the game wore on. The Dinos had 9 shots in the 1st period, down to 5 in the 2nd, and just 3 in the 3rd. No defenceman took a penalty, which could have messed things up.

The Dinos opened scoring in the 1st period on Dylan Walchuk's 8th of the season. It was a counter-attack after some early pressure from the Bisons and a save-of-the-season from goaltender Steven Stanford. Here's the picture:
bisons-16-02-06.paradis.save.jpg

Stanford made several other top-notch saves throughout the game. The Bisons were not padding their shot total with feeble attempts. Their 35 shots produced 5 goals and at least that many more which were labelled. IMO Stanford had a strong game, which belies the game stats.

As the 1st period progressed the Bisons took control. Shaq Merasty (his 13th) tied the game and then Jordan DePape (his 18th) gave the Bisons the lead.

The 2nd period saw the Dinos level the game. Elgin Pearce (his 11th) tied the game after so,e sustained pressure had the Bisons running around in circles. The Herd gathered themselves thereafter and controlled most of the play. Warren Callis (his 6th) and Liam Bilton (his 7th) gave them a 4-2 lead heading home.

The 3rd period was a picture-perfect example of protecting a lead. Not only did the Bisons score the only goal (Jesse Paradis with his 4th), they surrendered just 3 shots.

Justin Paulic had a steady game in goal as the Bisons continued to rotate their goaltenders. He stopped 15 of 17 shots. Stanford stopped 30 of 35 for the Dinos.

It was nice to see the Bisons close their home schedule with such an excellent performance. Their home record has been worse than their road record. They had just two 4-point hometands (against Alberta and Calgary), one 3-pointer (against Regina), and a 2-pointer (against UBC). Amazingly, they had three 0-pointers (against Lethbridge, Sask, and Moiunt Royal. That's 6-7-1 overall.

It is also odd that against last year's top two teams (Monkeys and Dinos) they went a combined 7-0-1.

As we head to the evening games, the Bisons and Dinos are tied for 4th place, 2 points up on UBC and 5 points up on Lethbridge. The Bisons hold the tie-breaker. Both will clinch playoff berths if Lethbridge loses to MRU.

bisons-16-02-06.merasty.jpg
I believe this was the play where Merasty was called for goaltender interference.

bisons-16-02-06.stovin.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

All the rest are night games.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

ubcwo50x50.jpgRegina-50pxw.jpg
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 1
REGINA COUGARS 2

Links:
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UBC*]
Friday: [Game Story rp @UBC]

This is what happens when a Tweety-Bird tot he taw a puddy-tat and there is no old lady around to clobber it with her umbrella. The Banjocats are not an automatic 2 points, especially on home ice. And especially not when they are facing a team as ice-cold as UBC. The 'Birds are now on a 2-11-1 run. All goals were scored in the 1st period. Both sides switched their goaltenders after Friday's busy night. Mark Hewitt took the loss and Mitch Kilgore got the win. The shots were even at 29-29.

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpgAlberta-50px.jpg
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

Links:
Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS]

The Banjomutts suffered their first sweep of the season. With 1st place wrapped up, though, it has no impact on their standings. The win allows the Monkeys to keep pace with MRU in the race for 2nd.  The Monkeys jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 2nd period, however by the intermission the Mutts had made it 3-2. The 3rd period was pure dominance for the Monkeys. They outshot the Mutts 16-3 and in the end pulled away easily. Once again, Luke Siemens got the win and Jordon Cooke took the loss. Seven different players scored goals.

Lethbridge-50pxw.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 1
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofL]

The H0rny Ones badly needed a win this weekend and in the end never even got a point. They were somewhat fortunate that Regina helped them out against UBC. The results leave them 3 points behind UBC. Since Lethbridge holds the tiebreaker they will have some level of hope. MRU held period leads of 3-0 and 3-1. In the 3rd period they held Lethbridge to just 4 shots, a common theme on the night for teams golding leads. Colin Cooper got the win, stopping 24 of 25 shots. Damien Ketlo took the loss, stopping 30 of 33 shots.

STANDINGS

cw-standings-160206.500pc.jpg

OUT EAST

AUS

Moncton 2 Dalhousie 0
Acadia 4 New Brunswick 7
St. Thomas 1 St. F-X 7
Saint Mary's 6 U.P.E.I. 2

OUA

U.Q.T.R. 13 R.M.C. 0 (not reported Friday)
Windsor 1 W. Ontario 5
Brock 0 York 1 (so)
Queen's 5 Waterloo 4 (ot)
U.Q.T.R. 8 Nipissing 1
Lakehead 2 Guelph 1 (ot)
Ryerson 5 Toronto 0
Carleton 4 Laurentian 0

[CIS Schedule/Results]
[CIS Standings]

NEXT UP

Sun Feb 07 Concordia at R.M.C.
Sun Feb 07 Queen's at Laurier
Wed Feb 10 Dalhousie at Saint Mary's
Wed Feb 10 Acadia at St. F-X
Wed Feb 10 New Brunswick at St. Thomas
Wed Feb 10 U.P.E.I. at Moncton
Wed Feb 10 W. Ontario at Ryerson
Wed Feb 10 Queen's at R.M.C.
Wed Feb 10 U.Q.T.R. at Concordia
Thu Feb 11 Toronto at Guelph
Fri Feb 12 Regina at Saskatchewan
Fri Feb 12 Lethbridge at Calgary
Fri Feb 12 Alberta at Mount Royal
Fri Feb 12 Manitoba at U.B.C.
Fri Feb 12 Saint Mary's at Acadia
Fri Feb 12 Moncton at St. Thomas
Fri Feb 12 Dalhousie at St. F-X    
Fri Feb 12 New Brunswick at U.P.E.I.
Fri Feb 12 Windsor at York
Fri Feb 12 U.Q.T.R. at Carleton
Fri Feb 12 Laurier at Lakehead
Fri Feb 12 Waterloo at Brock
Fri Feb 12 Laurentian at U.O.I.T.
Fri Feb 12 Nipissing at Queen's
Fri Feb 12 McGill at Concordia
Sat Feb 13 Mount Royal at Alberta
Sat Feb 13 Saskatchewan at Regina
Sat Feb 13 Calgary at Lethbridge
Sat Feb 13 Manitoba at U.B.C.
Sat Feb 13 Waterloo at W. Ontario
Sat Feb 13 Laurier at Lakehead
Sat Feb 13 R.M.C. at Carleton
Sat Feb 13 Nipissing at U.O.I.T.
Sat Feb 13 York at Toronto
Sat Feb 13 Laurentian at Queen's

Preview: Feb 12-13: Manitoba at UBC

BISONS BATTLE BIRDS ON FINAL WEEKEND

Manitoba-square-head.jpgUBC-head-sq-L-50x50.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS (12-12-2, 13-17-2, OHT36 #11)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (10-12-4, 11-15-5, OHT36 #18)

Friday, February 12th, 7:00 PST/9:00 CST @ UBC
Saturday, February 13th, 7:00 PST/9:00 CST @ UBC

Live Links:

Manitoba Links:

UBC Links:
:. [UBC Preview Story]

Other Links:

Previous Games:
:. [2015-10-24 UBC 4 Man 2 ]
:. [2015-10-25 Man 3 UBC 2 (ot) ]

The end of the regular season has come quickly this year. The long weekend would be a nice time to have some home games, but instead the Herd is off to British California. The Bisons have earned themselves the inside track in the race for 4th place, which would mean a home series in next weekend's quarter-final round.

The Tweety-Birds started hot and have cooled down as the season has progressed. When they visited the U of M back in October they played very well in a split series, where they came out with 3 points. At the end of October they were 6-0-2. Since then they have gone 4-12-2, including 2-7-1 in the new year.

Both sides have been rotating their goaltenders. UBC's Matt Hewitt has the 2nd best save percentage (.920) in the league and he has started 14 times, whilst Eric Williams has started 12. For the Bisons, after being neck-and-neck all year, a couple of recent strong performances have moved Justin Paulic ahead of Byron Spriggs in the Bison stats.

One stat on which to keep an eye is the scoring race. Jordan DePape has a 3 point lead over Tyler Fiddler of MRU for the conference scoring title. The Bisons have two other top 20 scorers, namely Shaq Merasty (9th at 13-13-26) and Brett Stovin (14th at 11-14-25) in a tightly bunched list of scorers. Meanwhile, the only Bird in the top 20 is Anthony Bardaro (11th at 10-16-26).

ELSEWHERE:

calgarybox50x50R.jpgLethbridge-square-headr.jpg
CALGARY DINOSAURS (11-11-4, 16-16-4, OHT36 #12)
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (10-15-1, 16-17-1, OHT36 #20)

Links:
:. [UofL Sute]

This is the only game on the out-of-town scoreboard of interest to either the Bisons or the Birds. If the H0rny Ones could win on Friday the Bisons would be able to ensure 4th place wih a win.

No matter what happens, Lethbridge have to be happy with their dramatic improvement from a year ago. In fact, they entered the season with 3 straight last place finishes during which they won a grand total of 11 games. They already have 10 wins this year. They have not made the playoffs since 2009, so coming close is at least something. (To be fair, they finished 5th in 2010 and 2011 and 6th in 2012. However, only 4 teams made the playoffs in those seasons.)

The Dinos have had a funny season. After missing the playoffs and finishing 7th out of 7 teams in 2009, they have finished 2nd and 4th three times each. The last two seasons they have finished 2nd and lost the conference final both seasons. They returned most of their key players, the notable exception being in goal where they lost two all-stars (Deserres and Lazaruk). After seeing Steven Stanford last weekend, it seems they have a capable goaltender. He made the save of the season off Jesse Paradis.

Last weekend Bedrock U walked into Manitoba having swept Mount Royal and Alberta on back-to-back weekends. Everybody speculated that the Dinos had found themselves and were set to roll. Right now it seems that they are as unpredictable as the rest of the conference.

Alberta-square-1.jpgMount-Royal-box-L-50x50.jpg
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (17-7-2, 23-9-4, OHT36 #5)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (17-6-3, 19-9-3, OHT36 #6)

Links:
:. [MRU Preview]

This is another home-and-home and in this one 2nd place is at stake. The 2nd place team gets a bye past the quarter-final round and then gets to host a semi-final series. The Evil Monkeys have not had to win on the road to qualify for the nationals since 1997. In fact, since 1998 they have finished 1st every season except for the time the Bisons edged them out in 2012. So many times this year the Monkeys have had a good weekend, causing everybody to think they are about to go on a roll and crush everybody. So I take with a grain of salt their dramatic sweep of Saskatchewan last weekend. Not that I doubt the Apes. (They have outshot their oppoenent every game this season, often by large margins, and lead the league in goals scored and fewest goals allowed.) It just seems that teams in the CW believe they can beat them now.

MRU has not drawn the praise they deserve. They could be a top 3 team in the final OHT36 rankings with a win this weekend. The checking job they did on the Bisons when I saw them live was masterful. Don't count them out. One regulation win would give them 2nd place.

Regina-square-body.gifSask-square-head.gif
REGINA COUGARS (6-20-0, 8-23-0, OHT36 #31)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (21-5-0, 24-6-0, OHT36 #2)

Links:
:. [UofS Site]

This series has no impact whatsoever on the final standings. Sask has had 1st place clinched for 2 weeks now and Regina has been pulling up the rear all season. Nevertheless, this is the Battle of Saskatchewan, a home-and-home series. The arguments shall rage over who plays the best banjo music, whose outhouses are the best, and who makes the better moonshine. Cats vs Dogs. North vs South. Green Guys vs Green Guys. I would have expected the Mutts to rest up some players. But after being swept last weekend, and getting a bye next weekend, they might need these games to get the team tuned up for the semi-final round.

OUT EAST:

OUA

Tue Feb 09
W. Ontario 2 Ryerson 1 (ot)

Wed Feb 10
Queen's 3 R.M.C. 4 (ot)
U.Q.T.R. 6 Concordia 5 (ot)

Thu Feb 11
Toronto at Guelph

Fri Feb 12
Windsor at York
U.Q.T.R. at Carleton
Laurier at Lakehead
Waterloo at Brock
Laurentian at U.O.I.T.
Nipissing at Queen's
McGill at Concordia

Sat Feb 13
Waterloo at W. Ontario
Laurier at Lakehead
R.M.C. at Carleton
Nipissing at U.O.I.T.
York at Toronto    
Laurentian at Queen's

AUS

Wed Feb 10
Dalhousie 3 Saint Mary's 9
Acadia 1 St. F-X 4
New Brunswick 4 St. Thomas 0
U.P.E.I. 1 Moncton 3

Fri Feb 12
Saint Mary's at Acadia
Moncton at St. Thomas
Dalhousie at St. F-X
New Brunswick at U.P.E.I.

Feb 12: Bisons Lose Opener

Bisons-50px.gifubcwo50x50.jpg
MANITOBA BISONS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3

Links:
Stories: [UBC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM]

I dozed off during the 2nd intermission and awoke to see the Bisons lost. The Bisons got off to a quick start and could have had a big lead. However, it was just 1-0 for the Bisons after one, and tied 2-2 after two.

Liam Bilton scored his 8th and Justin Augert his 5th for the Bisons. Austin Vetteri, Jessi Hilton, and Nick Buonassisi scored for UBC. Eric Williams got the win, stopping 26 of 28 shots. Byron Spriggs took the loss, stopping 32 of 35 shots.

The win assures UBC of a playoff berth and tied them with Manitoba. Both teams would place 4th if they win and Calgary loses in regulation, 5th if they win and Calgary gets at least a point, and 6th if they lose.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Lethbridge-50pxw.jpgdinos-2013-50x50.jpg
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
CALGARY DINOSAURS 5
(in overtime)
Links:
Stories: [UofC] : [rp @CW] : [@UofL]

The H0rny Ones scored twice in the first 1:10 of the game. However, by the end of the 1st period they were down 3-2. They rallied to force OT but in the end ran out of Viagra. Bedrock U had the shots edge, 42-25. Steven Stanford got the win and Damien Ketlo the loss. The result eliminates Lethbridge. Calgary needs one point on Saturday to clinch 4th. If they lose in regulation they will finish 5th.

Alberta-50px.jpgMRU-50x50.jpg 
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 8
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4

Links:
Stories: [MRU] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofA]

The Evil Monkeys racked up a serious win on the road. Mount Royal needs to win the return match in regulation to claim 2nd. MRU became the first team to lead the shot clock against the Monkeys all season, by 27-26. The Monkeys out this one away with 5 goals on 11 shots in the 2nd period. Luke Siemens got the win and Cam Lanigan the loss.

Regina-50pxw.jpgSask-green-50x50-1.jpg
REGINA COUGARS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5

Links:
Stories: [UofS] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofR*]

The least significant match-up of the weekend. First beat worst. No shock there. The Banjocats actually held a 3-2 lead in the 2nd period. The Mutts outshot the Kittens 43-31 on the night. Jorodn Cooke got the win and Dawson McAuley took the loss.

OUT EAST

AUS

Fri Feb 12
Saint Mary's 2 Acadia 3 (ot)
Moncton 8 St. Thomas 7
Dalhousie 3 St. F-X 2 (ot)
New Brunswick 4 U.P.E.I. 1

OUA

Thu Feb 11
Toronto 1 Guelph 6

Fri Feb 12
Windsor 4 York 3 (ot)
U.Q.T.R. 3 Carleton 2 (so)
Laurier 2 Lakehead 1
Waterloo 5 Brock 0
Laurentian 0 U.O.I.T. 1 (ot)
Nipissing 3 Queen's 2 (ot)
McGill 2 Concordia 4

[CIS Schedule/Results]
[CIS Standings]

NEXT UP

Sat Feb 13
Mount Royal at Alberta 6:00 pm MST
Saskatchewan at Regina 7:00 pm CST
Calgary at Lethbridge 7:00 pm MST
Manitoba at U.B.C. 7:00 pm PST
Waterloo at W. Ontario
Laurier at Lakehead
R.M.C. at Carleton
Nipissing at U.O.I.T.
York at Toronto    
Laurentian at Queen's

Archived