McDavid says he models his game after Claude Giroux

hf101

Giroux.jpg

While others have compared McDavid to Crosby, McDavid has steered clear. Instead he's said he admires the 200-foot game and offensive ability of one of Crosby's rivals, Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux.

"I'd compare myself to someone who is very reliable in his own zone and can be put out there in the last two minutes of a game to either score a goal or to defend the goal," McDavid said.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=769050&navid=nhl:topheads

He's friends with Sid. Lol. And this slightly humors me, as Sid is in Selke talks this past season, not Hands Giroux.

True, but that's turned into a name/popularity award, not a purely earned one.

True, but that's turned into a name/popularity award, not a purely earned one.

In some ways yes, but his stats this past season were better defensively than Datsyuk, Bergeron, and all of the other big name defense first players prior to the playoffs.

In some ways yes, but his stats this past season were better defensively than Datsyuk, Bergeron, and all of the other big name defense first players prior to the playoffs.

Which official NHL stats? The much maligned +/-?

Which official NHL stats? The much maligned +/-?

They did a defensive stat breakdown the last week of the season, I believe in NBC if all places, showing team scoring after defensive zone face offs, and shots on goal by opponents after defensive zone face offs for and against, and a few other defense first stats. They made a big deal out of it because Sid's numbers were better than any other "star" center, and they were trying to sell the lower scoring NHL model by saying how Johnston had asked Sid to focus on defense first and that was the pattern across the league so it justified low point totals for the scoring race. It was clearly NHL propaganda but the stats were a definitely different picture of Sid's play.

Pens fans have always noted his determination to play defense, mostly attributed to his time with Hossa, but it rarely gets attention like that.

I see the author making the comparison to Giroux, but didn't see where McDavid said it anywhere in the article.

EDIT - Only saw the video after, where McJesus mentions Giroux. Why the author wouldn't add an extra sentance to an article of that length is beyond me.

I see the author making the comparison to Giroux, but didn't see where McDavid said it anywhere in the article.

He says it in the video.

He doesn't, b21 does,  murray just parrots it back when it could be funny, like this instance.

@Polaris922

Murray likes to twist what others say. All I said was he (Babcock) would certainly be interested if the Pens were especially considering the other options on the table as far as roster make up.  Murray was bitter over the whole Kimmo thread. This is his "revenge".  ;)

"McDavid says he models his game after Claude Giroux..."

God - I hope the kid has shatter proof golf clubs then.  ;)

no such thing... i break clubs frequently , just hitting the ball, no temper tantrum stuff.

let's hope Mc Jesus doesn't pattern his "hang-out" style after Giroux

@Polaris922

Murray likes to twist what others say. All I said was he (Babcock) would certainly be interested if the Pens were especially considering the other options on the table as far as roster make up. Murray was bitter over the whole Kimmo thread. This is his "revenge". ;)

Bitter?! If anything I played along....

Well... At least he won't be living with a grown man like Sid.... They always did have that "special" relationship

I agree there! Sid and Geno BOTH stayed with grown men as rookies and now look at them! Medals and trophies and a Cup... And not one single make ass grabbing incident?!?! What the f%#+ are they thinking?!!!?!!!

Archived