McDavid says he models his game after Claude Giroux

hf101

I agree there! Sid and Geno BOTH stayed with grown men as rookies and now look at them! Medals and trophies and a Cup... And not one single make ass grabbing incident?!?! What the f%#+ are they thinking?!!!?!!!

FORE!  ;)

Bitter?! If anything I played along....

All good then. Water under the bridge. You might not even remember but you and I did a number on 'ol Chrissy54 on Philly.com when he had been banished from the Iggles forum and was going through handle after handle trying to beg his way back in. MARTYR. CENSORSHIP. EPICFAIL. 

Good times.

They did a defensive stat breakdown the last week of the season, I believe in NBC if all places, showing team scoring after defensive zone face offs, and shots on goal by opponents after defensive zone face offs for and against, and a few other defense first stats. They made a big deal out of it because Sid's numbers were better than any other "star" center, and they were trying to sell the lower scoring NHL model by saying how Johnston had asked Sid to focus on defense first and that was the pattern across the league so it justified low point totals for the scoring race. It was clearly NHL propaganda but the stats were a definitely different picture of Sid's play.

Pens fans have always noted his determination to play defense, mostly attributed to his time with Hossa, but it rarely gets attention like that.

I'm not saying he doesn't play defense, he's solid. I didn't think the NHL used any advanced stats officially though.

"McDavid says he models his game after Claude Giroux..."

God - I hope the kid has shatter proof golf clubs then;)

Wouldn't want him breaking his wood in a cop's ###.

I'm not saying he doesn't play defense, he's solid. I didn't think the NHL used any advanced stats officially though.

These were some of the stats mentioned done in a Jason Mackey article...

Why not?” said assistant coach Rick Tocchet, who has worked with Crosby to refine his defensive game. “He's going against the elite players on the other team a lot of nights. When you're on the plus side a lot of those nights, you have to be considered.”

Among numbers to note:

• Crosby's Goals-Against Per 60 (GA/60) mark of 2.02 is better than that of David Backes (2.50), Bergeron (2.54), Ryan Kesler (2.27), Anze Kopitar (2.21) and Jordan Staal (2.16).

• Crosby has been on the ice for 24.16 Scoring Chances Against Per 60 (SCA/60), according to war-on-ice.com. Toews has a SCA/60 of 25.70. The Corsi Against Per 60 (CA/60) mark, which measures shot attempts, for Crosby (49.17) also is better than Toews' (50.86).

• At Shots Against Per 60 (SA/60), Crosby is on the ice for 26.95. That's better than Backes (27.78), Kesler (29.57), Toews (30.18) and Staal (29.83). Only Kopitar, Bergeron and Datsyuk have consistently better all-around numbers, although Datsyuk has missed 18 games.

Not saying he deserves the Selke, just saying this year he really stood out defensively, even more so than usual.  

Archived