Timonen Benched

King Knut

I think you're probably wrong. Cumiskey (sp?) is fine (!). I like his game.

Yeah but Runblad or how ever you spell it is meh....and that is being generous...at least has the excuse of being old and run down...this kid is 23???? And is just clueless i'll say...so i could see Kimmo in place of him.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something tells me that Kimo will play a significant role in the finals. Injuries tend to happen this time of year, especially when considering the Hawks defense took a severe pounding against the Ducks. There is probably already injuries that we are not privy to....I'm betting Kimo gets his chance to atone for his previous less than stellar outings in playoff games with the Hawks....just a gut feeling. I don't think the story has been fully written in regards to this trade.

Yes, I agree.  But because an injury will force the Hawks to play him and he ends up being the goat on a horrible horrible turnover.

Kimmo wants to go home and raise his kids back there. I don't think he'll consider it.

No so sure about that....

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/blackhawks-kimmo-timonen-reflects-flyers-days

Timonen still has ties to Philadelphia — his family is still living here, and he said they will all remain here after his upcoming retirement.

The last to contracts were supposedly tough calls for him due to him wanting to go back home. At least that's what was being said at the time.

I recall the opposite - that Timonen had basically given up on raising his kids in Finland because all of them were basically born and bred Americans. They've spent most of their lives - aside from vacations - in the States.

The questions were more about whether his body could still hold up (it hasn't) or if his game would remain at a high level (it hasn't).

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=717796

In the meantime, he, his wife, Johanna, and children have no desire to be anywhere else but Haddonfield, whether Dad continues playing there or not.

“No matter what, we going to stay here for a couple more years and figure out what we are going to do as a family. My kids are older, my (oldest) son (Samuel) is 15 and I’m sure he wants to stay here. He has been here all his life.”

oh yeah, I do remember reading something like that. Whatever he decides, I'm ok with....he's just been a part of my life for so long, it would be hard to part ways....would make me feel good to know he's still around....know what I mean?

apparently it was either two seasons back when his big contract ended or some erroneous report I read somewhere.  As pointed out, he was excited about his Green Card this time last year.

He's earned the benching.

He's been slow and weak on the puck once the pace of play got to playoff level. 

He looked old and slow vs the Wild and the Ducks did him raw, they beat him up and took advantage of him.  

I think we've seen the last of 44 and it kind of pisses me off,  I said in another thread his comeback isn't Willie Mays stumbling around  in the outfield or MJ ruining 18 year old Kwame Brown with the Wizards bad but its been hard to watch. 

If i'm Q he doesn't sniff the ice in this series, barring a serious injury to one of the studs;  Cooper will send out the triplets and they'll cycle the **** out of him.  no way can he handle the speed the bolts are going to bring. 

He's turned into Lukas Kraijec

If i'm Q he doesn't sniff the ice in this series, barring a serious injury to one of the studs;  Cooper will send out the triplets and they'll cycle the **** out of him.  no way can he handle the speed the bolts are going to bring. 

Completely agree on this.  

Whatever happens to him, I wish Kimmo nothing but the best.  He is the proverbial class act and a superb competitor. I hope he has a Cup victory to savor in his swan son.  

Howie

Kraijcek was also 27 when he played for the Flyers, not 40.

so it took him getting blood clots in his lungs and 13 years to reach Lukas' level but if he dresses he'll need to be hidden , just like Kraijec.

@doom88

#44 is one of my favorite Flyers but his day is past and he is not doing his legacy any favors by hanging on. it makes me both sad and mad.

Personally, I think the Flyers have far overdone the hiring of ex players to stay with the organization in some capacity. Having said that, I would make an exception for Kimo.. I'd be ok with Kimo signing on long term and finding a useful job in the org.

One condition though...send Clarke home NOW...don't severe ties with the guy, but stop letting him hang around the team and try to butt his nose in where it does not belong....this is Hexy's time....Clarke should slither into the background and let the new blood be the face of the franchise. All Clarke does is give the other team billboard material, like the recent Pens fiasco, even if Clarke did feel that way, was it really appropriate to make it into big story and all the accompanying BS??

his day is past and he is not doing his legacy any favors by hanging on. it makes me both sad and mad.

The Flyers extended him an offer which he accepted for a final season.

The Flyers looked to get him back into the lineup before they traded him.

The Flyers then wound up with two second round picks for him.

What on Earth is there to be "mad" about?

Should he have rejected the Flyers' offer (when they were practically begging him to come back)? Should he have rejected the trade? Should he quit on the Hawks in the Cup Final?

He's done after this series. At best, he goes out a Cup champion - is that a bad thing for his "legacy"?

At worst, he got the Flyers a pair of draft picks and had one last run at the Cup.

so it took him getting blood clots in his lungs and 13 years to reach Lukas' level but if he dresses he'll need to be hidden , just like Kraijec.

@doom88

#44 is one of my favorite Flyers but his day is past and he is not doing his legacy any favors by hanging on. it makes me both sad and mad.

31 games does not tarnish a 15 year career. He should not come back next year, I don't think there is any way do deny that. But it's not like he's been at this for 3 seasons (or even) past when his body gave up on him. He's not Forsberg or Gagne for Christ's sake.

The Flyers extended him an offer which he accepted for a final season.

The Flyers looked to get him back into the lineup before they traded him.

The Flyers then wound up with two second round picks for him.

What on Earth is there to be "mad" about?

Exactly he gets a chance to get a shot a t a Cup on the way out and they get 2 2nds to boot....that makes me nothing but happy as hell for him.

I think the angle is does it tarnish having your name on the Cup if your play didn't contribute to earning it? I respect his time in the league. Despite his Flyers history, I just wish the guy were playing well enough that if they win (and I hope they don't) people felt he earned it. Right now he's actually hurt them on the ice rather than helped. Winning despite him rather than with his help. I don't wish that on him.

I think the angle is does it tarnish having your name on the Cup if your play didn't contribute to earning it? I respect his time in the league. Despite his Flyers history, I just wish the guy were playing well enough that if they win (and I hope they don't) people felt he earned it. Right now he's actually hurt them on the ice rather than helped. Winning despite him rather than with his help. I don't wish that on him.

Careful.  Speaking truth about Timonen will only get you into a shooting gallery.

I disagree while hasn't helped a lot he hasn't really hurt them much from what i've seen...i mean 15 games played and he is even...only 3 other guys on the team are even or better Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson.

And yes +/- isn't the best indicator of play i think he has contributed more than Cumiskey (who is 28) and Rundblad (24) these two are young guys who can move Kimmo isn't and can't.

Have the Hawks got their moneys worth....i would say no....they roll the dice and gambled he would be better than he has looked...but the groin injury his first game may have something to do with this i can't say but he hasn't been a big contributor...but i can't blame him for a whole lot either i mean he has only played what 10 minutes a night so not a lot to look at.

Maybe some rest will do him some good.

I disagree while hasn't helped a lot he hasn't really hurt them much from what i've seen...i mean 15 games played and he is even...only 3 other guys on the team are even or better Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson.

And yes +/- isn't the best indicator of play i think he has contributed more than Cumiskey (who is 28) and Rundblad (24) these two are young guys who can move Kimmo isn't and can't.

Have the Hawks got their moneys worth....i would say no....they roll the dice and gambled he would be better than he has looked...but the groin injury his first game may have something to do with this i can't say but he hasn't been a big contributor...but i can't blame him for a whole lot either i mean he has only played what 10 minutes a night so not a lot to look at.

Maybe some rest will do him some good.

He looked utterly horrible against the Ducks.  I forget which game, but his simply horrific play cost a pretty big goal.  I don't think we've seen him since.   

Honestly, I wouldn't dare put him on the ice at this point unless I dress 7 dmen and have a lead that I can risk him for a shift or two.  He's a liability.

He looked utterly horrible against the Ducks.  I forget which game, but his simply horrific play cost a pretty big goal.  I don't think we've seen him since.   

Honestly, I wouldn't dare put him on the ice at this point unless I dress 7 dmen and have a lead that I can risk him for a shift or two.  He's a liability.

There have been many who haven't looked good at times in that series.

Just look at game one of the series and Keith made a few mistakes....hardly is a guy playing 10 minutes that big a deal. He hasn't been nowhere what they were hoping they would get but being out almost a year and dealing with age and injury take their toll.

They may dress him in the 1st game or wait till the 1st home game so they get last line change and can control the situation more...or he could not lace them up again...who knows.

Tampa's team speed could make it ugly if he is caught out there at the wrong time for sure.

Archived