Timonen Benched

King Knut

I think the angle is does it tarnish having your name on the Cup if your play didn't contribute to earning it?

Was Ted Green's career "tarnished" when the Bruins put his name on the 1970 Cup despite not playing at all in 1969-1970?

Since the 04-05 lockout, 10 players who didn't even qualify for inclusion were put on the Cup. FWIW, the Pens have four names who didn't qualify listed in their three wins.

Do any of those players worry about the "tarnish" to their careers??

I think that once you have your name engraved in silver, you can use tarnish remover.

That said, unless he gets on the ice in the Finals, Timonen doesn't "qualify" either. I kinda wonder if the Hawks would petition to get him on, but I think they would.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Ted Green's career "tarnished" when the Bruins put his name on the 1970 Cup despite not playing at all in 1969-1970?

Since the 04-05 lockout, 10 players who didn't even qualify for inclusion were put on the Cup. FWIW, the Pens have four names who didn't qualify listed in their three wins.

I think that once you have your name engraved in silver, you can use tarnish remover.

That said, unless he gets on the ice in the Finals, Timonen doesn't "qualify" either. I kinda wonder if the Hawks would petition to get him on, but I think they would.

I suppose it depends on the contributions the people made that were put on it. I'd have to say that's a case by case issue. And I'd think as a player it DOES somehow feel cheapened by not contributing.

Having said that, I HOPE the Hawks dress him for at least one game and he has a good game, if they're going to win it. For his sake. Then it seems more genuinely earned. That make sense?

He played almost half a season for them, is probably retiring at season's end, and they wanted him on their roster.  I would bet the farm if they win, his name is on the Cup.

Yes I don't think Christobal Huet is upset he has his name on the Cup despite playing only 20 minutes in the whole playoffs.

What on Earth is there to be "mad" about?

Should he have rejected the Flyers' offer (when they were practically begging him to come back)? Should he have rejected the trade? Should he quit on the Hawks in the Cup Final?

He's done after this series. At best, he goes out a Cup champion - is that a bad thing for his "legacy"?

At worst, he got the Flyers a pair of draft picks and had one last run at the Cup.

I don't like seeing him getting his **** kicked out when he's on the ice.  

That hasn't been a part of his game, ever, but i was" privileged" to watch it during the Ducks series, and was treated to a bonus of 44 looking bewildered whilst the Wild cycled his side of the ice at will.  I don't like seeing my guy get worked the way he was... that's what there is to be mad about.

There is plenty of good, too and I recognize and acknowledge it, I don't have to like it or be all "this is great , he might be on a cup winning team " about it either. 

To further the point about having your name on the Cup or not.  I've touched the Stanley Cup.  That's more than Cam Neely, Eric Lindros and many other NHL players have ever done. 

I'm pretty sure no one gives 2 sh*ts about HOW it gets on there, just that it IS on there.  

Yes I don't think Christobal Huet is upset he has his name on the Cup despite playing only 20 minutes in the whole playoffs.

Huet was a key component in the success though. They wouldn't have won without him.

My point with Timonen is I hope he does something better than he has. At least play a Cup finals game and not stink.

31 games does not tarnish a 15 year career. He should not come back next year, I don't think there is any way do deny that. But it's not like he's been at this for 3 seasons (or even) past when his body gave up on him. He's not Forsberg or Gagne for Christ's sake.

I can appreciate that, thank god it's not year two of the "comeback" .... I still haven't liked what i've seen from his play.

Huet was a key component in the success though. They wouldn't have won without him.

Yeah he was pivotal in the loss to the Canuck in the 2nd round of their series of game 2 where would they be without him after Niemi gave up 5 goals...  :ph34r:

#brickwallfor20minutesinaloss

And I'd think as a player it DOES somehow feel cheapened by not contributing.

If the choice is between:

1) a so-called "tarnished" name on the Cup

and

2) no name on the Cup

I think 12 out of 10 players take #1.

If the choice is between:

1) a so-called "tarnished" name on the Cup

and

2) no name on the Cup

I think 12 out of 10 players take #1.

Just saying I'd rather he end his career feeling accomplished than just along for the ride. I like him as a player despite my criticism of his play and obvious the bad luck he had of being a Flyer ;)

Yeah he was pivotal in the loss to the Canuck in the 2nd round of their series of game 2 where would they be without him after Niemi gave up 5 goals... :ph34r:

#brickwallfor20minutesinaloss

Oh ok I was referring to when he won the Cup after taking over when Khabibulin got hurt. You forget he was established as a Cup winner that time, and a long standing member of the Hawks before the Niemi season. Rather than a thirty game pylon. ;)

@ruxpin:  It is in Intercourse which happens to be next to Blue Ball, PA

pennsylvania-understand-7.jpg

I swear to God I went to high school there.  Seriously  The address of the school was actually Kinzers, which is on one side of Intercourse and I lived in Paradise, which is right on the other side.

Local town names in bold:

Bird in Hand is great, but the only way to Paradise is through Intercourse unless you stay there too long and come away with a Blue Ball--which won't happen if she has a big Gap, but this could give you the Ronks and could cause a Lam[e]peter.

There's also more to being on a team than just playing. Timo is a great veteran presence and a leader, if nothing else. I'd be willing to bet that the players in that Chi locker room will vouch for that fact. If they win the cup, Timo will be deserving of his name on it. IMO anyway. Still.. there's time for him to make a difference ON the ice ... we'll see. 

Oh ok I was referring to when he won the Cup after taking over when Khabibulin got hurt.

Huh? Habby was an Oiler in 2010. And John Grahame was Habby's backup when he won a Cup for Tampa...Huet never played for Tampa.

Huh? Habby was an Oiler in 2010. And John Grahame was Habby's backup when he won a Cup for Tampa...Huet never played for Tampa.

Sorry was thinking of the Conference Finals where they lost to Detroit. My bad. In a class and didn't look it up first. Regardless Huet was with the Hawks a couple seasons en route to that win.

Timonen certainly sounds like he's embarrassed to be a part of all this:

https://twitter.com/kime4kids/status/604850916441718784/photo/1

He'd probably tell the Hawks he wouldn't want to tarnish the Cup with his presence.

:hocky:

maybe after they win he can get a Recchi-esque tattoo on his leg too:

mark-recchi-tattoo.jpeg

Archived