The Top 10 Goaltenders of All-Time

ScottM

6518265.jpg

To begin this post, I'm going to lay down a few ground rules. The topic of goaltenders tends to be one of the most passionately debated in hockey, which I think may make these necessary. If you want to engage me in a discussion on this, you will have to follow them. These rules are not directed at anyone in particular. They apply to everyone that wants to engage me in any debate or discussion over the list. These lists are all opinion. Mine is. Yours is. Therefore, suggesting something if you try to suggest that something is not debatable will do nothing but get me to ignore you. Calling the list ridiculous or stupid simply because you disagree won't cut it either. See the opinion part above. The same can be said for trying to argue me down on a particular goalie. I may be wrong in your eyes, but then again, you may be wrong in mine. As long as we can both accept that, we can have a good discussion. If not, we can't, and I won't bother. The inevitable sarcasm to come (if it can be identified as such) will be forgiven. :ph34r: Anyway, now that that part is behind us (and if I haven't driven you away), let's get down to what was one of the most enjoyable of these lists to create!

#10 Glenn Hall

407-326-163 record, 84 shutouts, 2.49 GAA; 4-time wins leader, 1-time GAA leader, 6-time shutouts leader; 3 Vezina Trophies

In my opinion, Glenn Hall is rarely given the credit he deserves for the Black Hawks’ 1961 Stanley Cup championship.  He established himself as a starter in Detroit, and spent several years as a key cog of the machine in Chicago. Over a seven year stretch (two years with Detroit, five with Chicago), he played every minute of every game. After his years with the Black Hawks, he helped the expansion Blues establish themselves as the class of the league’s newest franchises, helping them to three consecutive Finals. In 1968, he became the second (and one of only five) player to win the Conn Smythe while playing on the team that lost in the Finals.

#9 Patrick Roy

551-315-131 record, 66 shutouts, 2.54 GAA, .910 SV%; 2-time wins leader, 3-time GAA leader, 4-time SV% leader, 3-time shutouts leader; 3 Vezina Trophies, 3 Conn Smythe Trophies

If I were picking a goaltender for the regular season, there are several I might choose over Patrick Roy. If I were choosing a goaltender for the playoffs, there are few I would even remotely consider above him. Please do not take that the wrong way. He was a good regular season goalie, but he was a truly great postseason goalie. Roy is the only player to win the Conn Smythe three times. He won two Cups in Montreal, and after a controversial split with the Habs, he won two more in Colorado. Oh yeah, he is also second all-time in wins.

#8 Clint Benedict

190-143-28 record, 57 shutouts, 2.32 GAA; 6-time wins leader, 6-time GAA leader, 6-time shutouts leader

Did you know that it was once illegal for a goalie to leave his feet to make a save? Well, Benedict had a lot to do with the change. He would frequently “accidently” fall down and cover the puck, practically forcing the change in rules.  Revolutionizing the way a position is played is a very good way to make a list like this one. Benedict was one of the most dominant goalies in the early years of the NHL. He won the Stanley Cup three times during the days that the NHL and PCHA both challenged for the trophy, twice with the Ottawa Senators, and once with the Montreal Maroons.

#7 Tiny Thompson

284-194-75 record, 81 shutouts, 2.08 GAA; 5-time wins leader, 4-time GAA leader, 4-time shutouts leader; 4 Vezina Trophies

When Thompson retired in 1940, the NHL season was only 48 games long, yet he still nearly reached the 300 win mark. It would take another 10 years for Turk Broda to finally become the first to reach the milestone, by which time the season was 70 games. Like Benedict, he helped mold the position of goalie, by popularizing the idea of catching the puck to make a save. He was noted for his skill at puck-handling and was the first goalie to record. Thompson only won the Cup once – in his rookie season with the Bruins – but he no doubt would have won the Conn Smythe Trophy had it existed back then with his miniscule 0.60 goals against average and three shutouts in five postseason games.

#6 Terry Sawchuk

447-330-172 record, 103 shutouts, 2.51 GAA; 5-time wins leader, 2-time GAA leader, 3-time shutouts leader; 4 Vezina Trophies

Terry Sawchuk was the first goalie to reach 400 wins. He may have also been the first to reach 400 stitches. Sawchuk was highly successful in net despite playing through numerous injuries and surgeries, and was his own worst critic. After leading the Red Wings to three Stanley Cups, he was traded in favor of Glenn Hall, which devastated him. He would return to Detroit two years later and become their starting goalie once again. Years later, he would eventually win a fourth Stanley Cup, this time in Toronto where he split duties with Johnny Bower. Sawchuk died at the young age of 40 while with the Rangers, after suffering severe injuries in a drunken fight with a teammate. In fact, this was written on the 45th anniversary of his death. He was the NHL’s career wins leader at the time of his death, and would be for 30 years.

#5 Bill Durnan

208-112-62 record, 34 shutouts, 2.36 GAA; 4-time wins leader, 6-time GAA leader, 2-time shutouts leader; 6 Vezina Trophies

Durnan was ambidextrous. Rather than wearing a blocker, he wore two gloves that allowed him to move his stick from side to side and catch the puck with either hand. Durnan’s career was short – lasting only seven years, but in those seven years, he won the Vezina six times (at the time it was automatically awarded to the goalie with the lowest  goals against average). His regular season performance is nearly unmatched, but he was not quite as successful in the playoffs as some others, preventing him from rising any further on this list. An interesting note about Durnan is that he was the last goalie to serve as captain on the ice. The rule forbidding it is known as the Durnan rule, and was created thanks to the fact that he frequently delayed games by leaving his crease to argue calls.

#4 Martin Brodeur

691-397-154 record, 125 shutouts, 2.24 GAA, .912 SV%; 9-time wins leader, 1-time GAA leader, 5-time shutouts leader; 4 Vezina Trophies

Brodeur’s stats were not always eye-popping, but his astounding number of wins is highly impressive. Second place Patrick Roy is 140 wins behind him. His 125 shutouts are also an NHL record. Sawchuk is the only other goalie to reach 100. Longevity is not everything, but in Brodeur’s case, it is big, as few goaltenders have lasted as long or been effective as long. Brodeur had eight seasons with 40 or more wins, while no one else has had more than three such seasons. You will not find his name at the very top of the yearly statistical leader boards other than the wins column, but that is the one that counts the most. All he ever did was win, including three Stanley Cups.

#3 Dominik Hasek

389-225-95 record, 81 shutouts, 2.20 GAA, .922 SV%; 1-time wins leader, 2-time GAA leader, 6-time SV% leader, 4-time shutouts leader; 6 Vezina Trophies, 2 Hart Trophies

Dominik Hasek could be called the ultimate late-bloomer. He did not become a regular starter until he was 29 years old, but he definitely made up for lost time when he did. He found some of the most unusual ways to keep the puck out of the net, and had a style that seems to defy description. He made some of the weirdest looking saves you will ever see, but he looked highly impressive in making them. For his effort, he was awarded the Hart Trophy twice, and is the only goalie to win the award multiple times. For much of his career, he played on subpar teams in Buffalo, but in 1998, he dragged his team all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. Near the end of his career, he won the Cup twice with Detroit.

#2 Jacques Plante

437-246-145 record, 82 shutouts, 2.38 GAA; 5-time wins leader, 8-time GAA leader, 4-time shutouts leader; 7 Vezina Trophies, 1 Hart Trophy

Jacques Plante is best known for introducing the goalie mask. He was not the first to ever wear one, but he was the first to regularly wear one. He was the goalie for the Canadiens when they won their record five consecutive Cups. He was one of the first goalies to regularly play the puck outside of his crease. After retiring in 1965, he made a return to the expansion St. Louis Blues, where he teamed up with Hall, and was quite effective. After a second retirement, he made a one season comeback with the Edmonton Oilers of the WHA at the age of 46. You could call him the ageless wonder.

#1 Ken Dryden

258-54-74 record, 46 shutouts, 2.24 GAA; 4-time wins leader, 4-time GAA leader, 4-time shutouts leader; 5 Vezina Trophies, 1 Conn Smythe Trophy

Like Durnan, Dryden’s NHL career was short, but as unbelievable as it seems, he accomplished more in those years. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1971. He won the Calder Trophy in 1972. Needless to say, he is the only player to win the Conn Smythe before winning the Calder. In a career that consisted of only seven full seasons plus a tiny part of an eighth (the year that he won the Conn Smythe), Dryden and the Canadiens won an astounding six Stanley Cups. Virtually no goalie has ever racked up the awards and accomplishments that Dryden did in his short career. So many successes in such a short period of time seems virtually impossible, and yet, Dryden pulled it off.

Needless to say, he is the only player to win the Conn Smythe before winning the Calder.

Not many people remember, but Dino Ciccarelli almost pulled off this near impossible feat. In the 80-81 season, Dino played 32 games as a rookie, THEN went on to score 14 goals and 21 pts in 19 playoff games. So, he played 12 games to many to be considered a rookie in the next year, which was to bad, cause in 81-82 season he went on to absolutley dominate the league scoring 106 pts.

I'll never forget that year for a few reasons....First off, the North Star fans really fell in love with Dino quickly....there were hundreds, if not thousands of those little Dinosaurs they proudly waived around on their way to the finals....secondly, the way Mario Lemieux totally and completely man handled the Stars, making them look like a pee wee team, in one of the most dominant finals performances of all time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=992

Sorry bro, did not mean to hijack your thread, just thought it was an interesting thing to throw out there!

What a hip list, Ken dryden at first place? never seen that before...although i do applaud you for not putting Brodeur at first.

(nothing wrong with the list per se, im just saying that the ordering of the players is quite unusual compared to the average list...)

What a hip list, Ken dryden at first place? never seen that before...although i do applaud you for not putting Brodeur at first.

(nothing wrong with the list per se, im just saying that the ordering of the players is quite unusual compared to the average list...)

Yeah, I kind of expect to take some heat for that, but, hey, I call them like I see them. Here's one odd the things that forces Dryden to first in my mind: just say he had played 10 more years and been "average." His win total would be in the stratosphere because of his early success. He has the long string of awards and championships without a long career. What else could he have accomplished other than potentially piling up more of the same?

Not many people remember, but Dino Ciccarelli almost pulled off this near impossible feat. In the 80-81 season, Dino played 32 games as a rookie, THEN went on to score 14 goals and 21 pts in 19 playoff games. So, he played 12 games to many to be considered a rookie in the next year, which was to bad, cause in 81-82 season he went on to absolutley dominate the league scoring 106 pts.

I'll never forget that year for a few reasons....First off, the North Star fans really fell in love with Dino quickly....there were hundreds, if not thousands of those little Dinosaurs they proudly waived around on their way to the finals....secondly, the way Mario Lemieux totally and completely man handled the Stars, making them look like a pee wee team, in one of the most dominant finals performances of all time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=992

Sorry bro, did not mean to hijack your thread, just thought it was an interesting thing to throw out there!

That game six was brutal, wasn't it?

Yeah, I kind of expect to take some heat for that, but, hey, I call them like I see them. Here's one odd the things that forces Dryden to first in my mind: just say he had played 10 more years and been "average." His win total would be in the stratosphere because of his early success. He has the long string of awards and championships without a long career. What else could he have accomplished other than potentially piling up more of the same?

I dont know too much about the old time goalies to make an educated list. But it seems to me that Ken Dryden is the Mike Bossy of goalies....

Both players didnt really get to play past their primes, which means both players didnt really have a chance to decline. making their stats as impressive as they are now. Otherwise, they would like a tiny bit less impressive.

On a side note; im still waiting for Ruxpin to give you heat for putting Hasek ahead of Brodeur.

Forget all the statistical dominance leaning towards Hasek....

3 STANLEY CUPS!!!!

3 STANLEY CUPS!!!

:ph34r:

I like your list, ScottM, and I agree with most of it, but I would change a few things. I would put Roy 1, Dryden 2, and Plante 3. Those 70s' Canadiens teams were tremendously dominant, and Dryden certainly had something to do with that. Dryden winning 6 Cups in 8 years is extraordinary. I would put Dryden behind Roy because the team was LOADED with Hall of Fame defenseman like Lapointe and Robinson, and a great defensive forward like Gainey. Roy didn't play with as much great talent in front of him  I would place Brodeur 4th because as great as he was, (he owned the Flyers) but he played behind two of the most SKILLED defensemen of all-time (Stevens and Neidermayer). He was without a doubt the best goaltender in terms of using the stick to handle and clear the puck out of the zone that I've seen. My apologies to Hextall, Plante and Billy Smith. Nobody will ever again be the GAA leader 8 times like Plante did, and he perfected the butterfly style of goaltending, as well as began the style for guys like Hextall and Brodeur who were great at coming out of their crease to play the puck.

I like your list, ScottM, and I agree with most of it, but I would change a few things. I would put Roy 1, Dryden 2, and Plante 3. Those 70s' Canadiens teams were tremendously dominant, and Dryden certainly had something to do with that. Dryden winning 6 Cups in 8 years is extraordinary. I would put Dryden behind Roy because the team was LOADED with Hall of Fame defenseman like Lapointe and Robinson, and a great defensive forward like Gainey. Roy didn't play with as much great talent in front of him  I would place Brodeur 4th because as great as he was, (he owned the Flyers) but he played behind two of the most SKILLED defensemen of all-time (Stevens and Neidermayer). He was without a doubt the best goaltender in terms of using the stick to handle and clear the puck out of the zone that I've seen. My apologies to Hextall, Plante and Billy Smith. Nobody will ever again be the GAA leader 8 times like Plante did, and he perfected the butterfly style of goaltending, as well as began the style for guys like Hextall and Brodeur who were great at coming out of their crease to play the puck.

It wasn't easy to but Roy at 9th, but to me, the others accomplished as much or more with less drama. But, then again, I understand why some people do consider him the top guy. Your point about the talent on the teams is very true, and like I said myself, he was outstanding in the playoffs. And I don't know how I neglected to mention Brodeur's puck handling. He was a big part of the reason for the trapezoid after all.

Just out of curiosity, since he's the guy that always seems to generate the most discussion and passion, where would you rank Hasek?

It wasn't easy to but Roy at 9th, but to me, the others accomplished as much or more with less drama. But, then again, I understand why some people do consider him the top guy. Your point about the talent on the teams is very true, and like I said myself, he was outstanding in the playoffs. And I don't know how I neglected to mention Brodeur's puck handling. He was a big part of the reason for the trapezoid after all.

Just out of curiosity, since he's the guy that always seems to generate the most discussion and passion, where would you rank Hasek?

Scott, as a Flyer fan, I disliked Hasek almost as much as Brodeur, and at least one year when the Flyers were heavily favored to win the East and go to the finals during the Lindros era (I forget the year). His 1999 and 2002 playoff stats were sick great to say the least. "The Dominator" posted a 13-6 record, .939 save %, and a miniscule 1.77 GAA in 1998-99 with the Sabres. In 2001-2002, he was 16-7 in the playoffs, with a .920% and a GAA of 1.86. Not the biggest of goalies, he almost consistently back in the net, relying solely on his reaction time. Hasek was the most acrobatic and overall greatest goalies, other than Roy, that I had seen play. Certainly, he was better in his career vs. them than Roy. He was not an orthodox, typical goalie by any means. Hasek would get caught out of position, and all of the sudden with lightning quick pad reflexes, or maybe with his head make a save that would make you not believe what you saw. However, he would on occassion let in a head-scratcher, very stoppable looking goal. I think every year in which he played an entire or close to an entire season he was in the top 5 of every goaltending category. I would rank him just ahead of Brodeur, placing Hasek 4th all time. 

I find it hard to put any goalie from a generation ago at the top of a goaltending list. The position has improved by leaps and bounds.

Brodeur was an iron man. Amazing consistency.

Roy was great when it mattered most, and he carried a mediocre Montreal team to victory.

Hasek was of another world altogether. At his best, he was the best ever.

:)

I find it hard to put any goalie from a generation ago at the top of a goaltending list. The position has improved by leaps and bounds.

Your point is valid, and I always do my best to take that into consideration. Some feel the same way about Gordie Howe or Maurice Richard, but to me, they're two of the greatest players of all-time. This is far from an exact science, and I readily acknowledge that. I have no problem with any well-reasoned argument, whether it agrees with my opinion or not.

Dryden was completely dominant in his day, as was Plante. Plante even helped to revolutionize the position. I try to consider a wide range of factors, and those two had "it."

Brodeur was an iron man. Amazing consistency.

Roy was great when it mattered most, and he carried a mediocre Montreal team to victory.

Hasek was of another world altogether. At his best, he was the best ever.

:)

Those 3 are from a generation ago.

Drafted in 83, 84 and 90. 

Those 3 are from a generation ago.

Drafted in 83, 84 and 90. 

:mellow:

Okay, let's go with two generations ago.

Back to an age where...

• goalies would stand on one side of the net (leaving 70% of it wide open).
  • goalies couldn't move side to side without having to stack the pads and flop.
  • goalies didn't cut down angles.

That's sort of what I was going for. Although they didn't wear masks back then, so that takes some balls.  :)

Comparing players from different eras is always iffy.  That's particularly true for goaltenders.  

The old guys had no facial protection.  Small pads that got quickly soaked with water and weighed a ton.  No coaching.   They were smaller.  Way back when, there were no backups, so you played no matter how much you hurt.

But, they didn't face cannon shooters like today's players.  The game was slower.  

IMHO,  because of coaching, equipment, size and skating, the average goaltender of today, would have been a star a few, short generations ago.

Comparing players from different eras is always iffy.  That's particularly true for goaltenders.  

The old guys had no facial protection.  Small pads that got quickly soaked with water and weighed a ton.  No coaching.   They were smaller.  Way back when, there were no backups, so you played no matter how much you hurt.

But, they didn't face cannon shooters like today's players.  The game was slower.  

IMHO,  because of coaching, equipment, size and skating, the average goaltender of today, would have been a star a few, short generations ago.

I agree with that, but on the flip side, the goalies of yesteryear would have also been better with the advantages today's goalies have. The skaters of the past also would have had harder shots and be faster given today's techniques, training, etc. Ultimately, though, I think all of that goes back to your first point: the fact that it's so iffy. It's extremely difficult to be dogmatic about this guy over that guy or vice versa, but that does make for interesting discussion.

Instead of stationary bikes, whirlpools and trainers, all the old guys had was beer on the train and in the room.

If I had a choice, I'd choose the life of the old-timers.

Actually, I guess I already have.

Instead of stationary bikes, whirlpools and trainers, all the old guys had was beer on the train and in the room.

If I had a choice, I'd choose the life of the old-timers.

Actually, I guess I already have.

I thought you were a wine guy ;)

Archived