Zuccarello's injury was Serious

hf101

mats_zuccarello-300x300.jpg

Zuccarello left in Game Five with an injury to the head on a slapshot by Ryan McDonaugh against the Pittsburgh Penguins of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals on April 24, 2015.  The injury was stated as UBI and little info was given.  Last week he was apparently on the ice in a yellow jersey but left and didn't return.

But it was pretty serious according to twitter:

@PLeonardNYDN

Zuccarello said he had temporarily lost ability to talk & move his arm. Needed speech therapy. Blood in brain.

Obviously Zuccarello wanted to be ready to play in a game 7, but now there has to be questions as to if he can return next fall.

Zuccarello left in Game Five with an injury to the head on a slapshot by Ryan McDonaugh against the Pittsburgh Penguins of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals on April 24, 2015.  The injury was stated as UBI and little info was given.  Last week he was apparently on the ice in a yellow jersey but left and didn't return.

@PLeonardNYDN
Zuccarello said he had temporarily lost ability to talk & move his arm. Needed speech therapy. Blood in brain.

Obviously Zuccarello wanted to be ready to play in a game 7, but now there has to be questions as to if he can return next fall.

Holy shat that is serious.

Wow, that's scary. Hope he makes a full recovery.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/mats-zuccarello-lost-ability-speak-head-injury-article-1.2242623

"I don't know what you guys know, but there was a small fracture in my head. I lost my (ability to) talk and some feeling in my arm and stuff. I was in the hospital for three days," Zuccarello said. "I couldn't talk for a while. I had a contusion, some blood in my brain. That affects a lot. I went to speech therapy. I'm getting much better. I couldn't say a word for four days... I feel much better and I'm getting better and better."

@PLeonardNYDN

scary stuff....  Hope there is a full recovery in the near future.   Love his game even though he is a Ranger.   

Hockey players are the toughest of tough and rarely get the credit they deserve. 

Meanwhile in the MLB: 

Oberholtzer, Brett (P) 05/29 15-day DL June 1 Left index finger blister

Some injuries are more sports specific than others. I don't think you want a left-handed pitcher trying to pitch with a blister on the index finger of his left hand. That's not a matter of toughness, that's a matter of getting lit up like Times Square on New Year's Eve.

just lance the damm thing, put a little peroxide on it, wrap it for 3 or 4 days...it will be good as new!

That's probably what they told Zuccarello.  :P

@JackStraw

15 days for a blister? 

A little excessive don't you think?

Well, if he's going to miss a couple starts then the team probably needs to bring someone up to take his spot in the rotation (in this case I believe they did). So they have the option of the 15 DL or the 60 day DL. This guy doesn't seem to be a mainstay of the Astros rotation so they probably figured that losing him for an extra start or two wasn't going to be that big a deal. Since he's a starter and starters typically get 5 days rest between starts that's at most 3 starts that he would miss over 15 days. If he was a position player I seriously doubt they would have put him on the DL.

@JackStraw

15 days for a blister recovery. Losing 3 starts over those 15 days. I don;t know how baseball players can keep up the pace for the peanuts they get paid. :rolleyes:

Well, with how often baseball players "adjust" themselves, you wouldn't want the boo boo getting caught on his zipper.

It truly amazes me that there hasn't been an on-ice death in the NHL at some point.

1) Bare knuckle fighting

2) Razor sharp skates

3 A rock hard object getting launched at over 100mph

4) Massive hits

etc. etc...   

I suppose the highly trained medical staffs (Flyers' excluded)  are probably the only reason it hasn't happened yet.

ie) Heart stoppage in Dallas... Trent Mcleary's slapshot to the throat... Malarchuk.

@JackStraw

That is true and I didn't take that into consideration that he probably would have only been on the field starting 2-3 time in 15 days.

Still you have to admit seeing that a player is on the DL for a blister is comical when thinking about what keeps hockey players off the ice. 

It truly amazes me that there hasn't been an on-ice death in the NHL at some point.

1) Bare knuckle fighting

2) Razor sharp skates

4) Massive hits

etc. etc...   

I suppose the highly trained medical staffs (Flyers' excluded)  are probably the only reason it hasn't happened yet.

ie) Heart stoppage in Dallas... Trent Mcleary's slapshot to the throat... Malarchuk.

Bill Masterton? He didn't actually die on the ice but he certainly died as a result of the hit incurred on the ice. 

• 3 weeks later...

1) Bare knuckle fighting

2) Razor sharp skates

4) Massive hits

etc. etc...   

Don't forget Darren Puppa back in 1987 or 1988, getting his jugular cut by a skate almost blead to death on the ice!

Don't forget Darren Puppa back in 1987 or 1988, getting his jugular cut by a skate almost blead to death on the ice!

Wasn't that Clint Malarchuk?  That was a scary sight... so much dark blood on the white ice.

Wasn't that Clint Malarchuk?  That was a scary sight... so much dark blood on the white ice.

It was Malarchuk. I had managed to avoid seeing the video of that for years, but a couple of months ago, it ran on NHL network without a warning...

Malarchuk said that all he was worried about was getting off the ice so that his mother wouldn't see him die on TV. He asked for a priest, and told an equipment manager to call his mother to tell her he loved her. He was extremely lucky to have the particular trainer that the Sabres had at the time, Jim Pizzutelli. Fortunately, Pizzutelli knew exactly how to handle the injury, or Malarchuk would have died. Even with the aid of Pizzutelli, he still lost 1.5 liters of blood and received 300 stitches. Malarchuk has never really gotten over the incident, as you might expect. He attempted suicide years later, and went through treatment for PTSD after Richard Zednik suffered a similar injury.

Archived