Backlund leaves Phantoms

Guest OzFlyer

The crowded goalie situation is no more. Johan Backlund left the Phantoms after Wednesday's game. He has apparently reached an agreement to play elsewhere, likely in Europe, although I couldn't get specific details.

The 31-year-old native of Sweden had been with the Phantoms since their first season in Glens Falls and was the team's MVP in 2010 when he accounted for the win in 21 of the team's 30 victories.

He made just one appearance with the Phantoms this season in relief on Thanksgiving Day. He also played one game with the Trenton Titans.

@orange_crush Dallas first round pick (26th overall) from 2001. Turned out to be a huge flop, and has floated from minor league city to minor league city ever since. Agree with 101....can see Hovinen taking the Phantoms reigns next season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=56777

Agree with 101....can see Hovinen taking the Phantoms reigns next season.

It also looks as if Jakub Kovar, won't be coming next year.....he signed another 1 year extension with the Ceske Budejovice

Another spin on this...we just aren't great judges of goal talent. This guy was supposed to be a real deal. I guess that has not been the case. I thought he was a bit old to be starting an NHL career, but who am I to say?

Howie

PhantomsHockey Adirondack Phantoms

The Flyers have announced that goalie Johan Backlund has been assigned to a team in Finland, Oulun Karpat.

so he's still with the organization, just playing for a different team? I honestly am baffled by the way they handled him. I mean, what are their plans with Leighton? I can't imagine (and hope) that they don't include him suiting up for the Flyers. So what's the plan? Yeah he's under contract so you may as well play him but at the same time, isn't it in their best interests to groom players who they project to play for the Flyers BEFORE winning AHL games?

I mean, what are their plans with Leighton? I can't imagine (and hope) that they don't include him suiting up for the Flyers. So what's the plan?

I think this is the last of his last year of his post-cup appearance 2 year contract. He provides them with a bit of security for the year and then he goes on his merry way thereafter. As mentioned above, "Hovinen will be the Phantoms goalie next year." who is the next "up and coming" goalie in the system....not that the flyers have a goalie system.

Hi Guys,

Just a note re Ceske Budejovice. I lived in Wien(Vienna) for three years and had 4 show dogs with me. Our first show outside of Austria was in this city. The Germans named it Budwise, and you can tell it sounds familiar. This is where the original Budweiser name and beer originates from. Around 1992-1993 A. Bush was taken to International Court in a battle over naming rights of the beer. As it turned out, A. Bush paid a king's ransom for the rights to keep the name but had to promise the Czech brewery that they would never try to brew the beer the same way as the original brew.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the Flyers but I thought you might be interested.