Heartwarming Wellwood article..

jammer2

A nice read. It tells how Welly moved on from the pain of having his NHL career ended on the brutal injury we all know to well. What a nice comeback this kid has made. He's found a way to be relevant in hockey again, he was the youngest asst coach participating in the Memorial Cup. Islanders first round pick, an future star De Colle credits Welly with his continued growth as a player this year.

Welly has some dues to pay in the OHL, but in 3 or 4 years I expect him to be a head coach in the OHL, and after putting in some time in that capacity, I believe the NHL will come calling...it could not happen to a nicer guy. Easily my favourite Spitfire of all time, I feel robbed of seeing his stunning speed on display for my Flyers....ah, what could have been. Kudos for Welly moving on and not sulking around.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/05/28/wellwood-heals-with-generals-after-life-threatening-injury.html

A nice read. It tells how Welly moved on from the pain of having his NHL career ended on the brutal injury we all know to well. What a nice comeback this kid has made. He's found a way to be relevant in hockey again, he was the youngest asst coach participating in the Memorial Cup. Islanders first round pick, an future star De Colle credits Welly with his continued growth as a player this year.

Welly has some dues to pay in the OHL, but in 3 or 4 years I expect him to be a head coach in the OHL, and after putting in some time in that capacity, I believe the NHL will come calling...it could not happen to a nicer guy. Easily my favourite Spitfire of all time, I feel robbed of seeing his stunning speed on display for my Flyers....ah, what could have been. Kudos for Welly moving on and not sulking around.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/05/28/wellwood-heals-with-generals-after-life-threatening-injury.html

Yes it's dad that he still has minor issues with his injury but he can still lead a normal life so that something to be grateful for. I wish him nothing but the best...who knows one day he could be a future Phantom coach......

Thanks for the link jammer, so good to hear he's doing well. He's a smart guy not to dwell on what might've been. I liked reading how the Flyers offered him a job "right away." We bitch n moan about them constantly hiring alumni but that was a classy move, telling him early on he's got a place in the organization. Thanks again for sharing the story.

It is a feel-good story.  I know you always had a soft spot for the guy.  It's good to see he is doing well, even if it's not in the NHL at the moment.

• 3 years later...
On 6/3/2015 at 1:54 AM, jammer2 said:

Thumps up!

Archived