Glendale City Council votes to end lease agreement with Coyotes

hf101

wiley-coyote-cartoon.jpg

Apparently the Coyotes will file a $200 million lawsuit if Glendale decided to end the deal.  What ownership would want to play in a city that clearly doesn't want them.

So now what?  Can they move to a different city before the start of the 2015-16 season?

Coyotes co-owner, president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc issued the following statement:

"We are disappointed with the city's decision to violate its obligations under the agreement that was entered into and duly approved only two years ago. We will exhaust any and all legal remedies against the city of Glendale for this blatant violation of its contractual obligations to us."

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All over fifteen million bucks, the cost of a second pair defensive grouping and a third line winger.... Glendale imho is in the wrong as everyone who tries to renegotiate is.

That said, the yotes gotta play somewhere, the East has 16 teams the West 14, while I would love to see them move to Quebec it throws everything out of kilter so then Seattle Darkroast or the Vegas Gamblers are as good a bet as any.

Atlanta and Phoenix gone within a few years, how long until Bettman joins them?

The Seattle Grunge?

Seattle's Best?

Seattle Run? (Seattle go to the park...)

Seattle Wolves work. Better than Seattle Vampires

@yave1964 I agree. Quebec isn't happening. And I think Vegas wants an expansion team. Seattle seems to be the place if they are moving

@hf101  Why would you play in a city that does not want you???  I'd be gone so fast, their head would spin...having them start the whole traitorous language and getting them to fire the first shot....MAGIC...get out of that GOD FORSAKEN desert NOW!!!  AND NEVER GO BACK GARY!!!  Enough of this nonsense....If Gary fights to keep them there it's all about ego...."see....I "told" you hockey in the desert would work"....WHAT A JOKE!!!

@jammer2

Totally agree. I've been reading a number of articles this morning as far as the direct plan of the NHL there hasn't been anything said.  A number of Yotes supporters believe the team should play downtown.  Although the conditions there aren't the best, but with two major teams there the new arena the Suns seek could maybe be accomplished.  Apparently the youth hockey programs in the Phoenix area are doing quite well.  The loss of a team there would have a neg effect. 

Other cities with potential include Houston and Kansas City.  Vegas was to get an expansion team and that won't be ready until 2017?

As far as Bettman goes - Daley has been groomed thus imo nothing changes.  Bettman has been very successful growing hockey throughout the USA.  

As far as Bettman goes - Daley has been groomed thus imo nothing changes. Bettman has been very successful growing hockey throughout the USA.

Yes, as much as I hate Gary, he does deserve a lot of credit for growing our sport in many, many cities. I'm sure he will someday reside in the Builders section of the Hall of Fame, and (God I hate saying this..!) deservedly so.

The Coyotes have not, are not, and will not anytime soon make money in that market. The location is bad, both for hockey in general, and for accessability to the majority of the area's population. Their team is bad, and not looking to make significant improvements anytime soon. How in the world is a team that was estimated to have lost 25 million dollars last year anticipating paying for a lawsuit of this magnitude? Why would they want to? Can they even do that? Government entities are typically immune to monetary tort claims.

I thought the deal was stupid to begin with, and Glendale apparently has the law on their side. State law in Arizona states that a contract may be terminated if, within 3 years, someone involved in negotiating the contract begins working for another entity that is part of the contract. This language was even included in the document the Coyotes signed. They then hired Glendale's city attorney when he was fired by Glendale - after he had worked on the city's behalf in preparing the contract. In addition, there are significant questions about the Coyotes' finances and whether they are reporting their income correctly to the city, a potential breach of contract. There is also the question of whether the monies were actually being used to manage the arena, as was specified in the deal - another potential breach by the Coyotes. http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-survival-hinges-on-arena-deal-battle-1.283772

In the end, the governing body of Glendale is beholden to the people of Glendale, not the Coyotes, except insofar as the contract and law dictates - and it appears that the contract can be severed lawfully. If it's a bad deal and the taxpayers are facing an increased burden because of it with little to no benefit, they should get out from under it.

All over fifteen million bucks, the cost of a second pair defensive grouping and a third line winger.... Glendale imho is in the wrong as everyone who tries to renegotiate is.

That said, the yotes gotta play somewhere, the East has 16 teams the West 14, while I would love to see them move to Quebec it throws everything out of kilter so then Seattle Darkroast or the Vegas Gamblers are as good a bet as any.

Atlanta and Phoenix gone within a few years, how long until Bettman joins them?

If I am Bettman, I am fuming over this. Right or wrong, he and the NHL bent over backwards to make that situation work.  I understand that it does appear the city of Glendale can leagally do this but that doesn't make it right.  I hope this is the straw that breaks the back of this camel (desert pun).  Bettman should give the area one last big GFU and move the 'Yotes to Kansas City.

The Seattle Grunge?

Seattle's Best?

Seattle Run? (Seattle go to the park...)

Seattle Wolves work. Better than Seattle Vampires

@yave1964 I agree. Quebec isn't happening. And I think Vegas wants an expansion team. Seattle seems to be the place if they are moving

The Seattle Blue Screens of Death

KZTDh1d.gif

If I am Bettman, I am fuming over this. Right or wrong, he and the NHL bent over backwards to make that situation work.  I understand that it does appear the city of Glendale can leagally do this but that doesn't make it right.  I hope this is the straw that breaks the back of this camel (desert pun).  Bettman should give the area one last big GFU and move the 'Yotes to Kansas City.

If the Coyotes are breaching their contract, and are thereby creating hardships for the people of the city, it is absolutely right for the city to sever the contract. Their duty, first and foremost, is to the taxpayers and residents. Not to the fans, not to the players, and most assuredly not to the league or the team.

If the Coyotes are breaching their contract, and are thereby creating hardships for the people of the city, it is absolutely right for the city to sever the contract. Their duty, first and foremost, is to the taxpayers and residents. Not to the fans, not to the players, and most assuredly not to the league or the team.

Well, this makes perfect sense.  I still want the Yotes out of there......but yeah, hard to argue with that logic...they were elected to do right by the taxpayers, and that is exactly what it appears they are doing.

wiley-coyote-cartoon.jpg

Apparently the Coyotes will file a $200 million lawsuit if Glendale decided to end the deal.  What ownership would want to play in a city that clearly doesn't want them.

So now what?  Can they move to a different city before the start of the 2015-16 season?

What? The city of Glendale has come to their senses? Did they recently hire an actual accountant to manage their finances?  :)

The only thing that PISSES me off about this is that the Jets never should have left Winnipeg. This was a farce from day one. The Jets deserve their franchise history back.  :angry:

If I am Bettman, I am fuming over this. Right or wrong, he and the NHL bent over backwards to make that situation work.  I understand that it does appear the city of Glendale can legally do this but that doesn't make it right.  I hope this is the straw that breaks the back of this camel (desert pun).  Bettman should give the area one last big GFU and move the 'Yotes to Kansas City.

....extort millions of dollars out of the city of Glendale.

The case of the Coyotes is one that reveals the darker side of pro sports teams. Everyone is giving credit to Bettman for trying to "make things work" but in reality it's all about how much money you can steal from the local city through strong arm tactics. Their "negotiating" with Glendale is more like hostage trading. The councils running Glendale have been complete and total suckers. They are paying local taxpayer dollars hand over fist to keep a money losing franchise in operation. Glendale has treated the NHL like it was a charity. They keep throwing money at it and all they do is lose money in return. Local fans don't support the product, so why would local government be propping it up? It makes no sense.

@JackStraw

Man, that was awesome.

Along those lines, how about The Seattle Virus?  The Seattle Trojans?   The Seattle Crashers? 

Along different lines,   how about "The Seattle It's ####ing raining Again"

What? The city of Glendale has come to their senses? Did they recently hire an actual accountant to manage their finances?  :)

The only thing that PISSES me off about this is that the Jets never should have left Winnipeg. This was a farce from day one. The Jets deserve their franchise history back.  :angry:

If I'm not mistaken, the Jets were one of, if not the very first victim of a city not caving into a new publically funded arena. The fan's loyalty was never in question, it was always about where they were gonna pay and the Peg's city council's stance against corporate welfare, before we really knew what the term meant.

Or the Seattle Drizzle. I lived in Seattle for a year. Gak that's some depressing weather.

Did not know this....you're gonna have to go ahead and give a age/location background for us....mmmm k?   LOL!

....extort millions of dollars out of the city of Glendale.

Extort as in not selling to ownership groups who wanted to move the team despite those being among - if not the - best offers on the table at the time? Just ask Jim Balsillie.

What about the millions in advanced revenue that the NHL sunk into to the team before they even took over the ownership and day to day operations? Upwards of $50,000,000.  

Glendale negotiated the current financial terms and now wants to back out.  Which is fine - looks like they have an out clause in the contract.

Not going to fault the NHL or Bettman for that one.  Don't want a team? Fine. They will have plenty of buyers lining up if buying the team now includes the ability to relocate it.

Archived