Glendale City Council votes to end lease agreement with Coyotes

hf101

I find music provides a timeline for your existence.

“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...” - Albert Schweizter

I thought you'd appreciate that one @jammer2, since I know you love your cats.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm. Interesting. If they did indeed - I assume there's a document saying such, would assumedly be easy to produce - then I would be wrong.

"Coyotes outside counsel Nick Wood delivered a potentially damaging blow to the council's effort when he reminded it that it had waived any conflict of interest concerns for Tindall, a point that councilmember Gary Sherwood confirmed Wednesday night from Salt Lake City, where he was attending a League of Cities meeting."

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/glendale-votes-to-cancel-lease-deal-with-coyotes-061015

Yeah i think i misread the article from earlier...i thought they were going to vote but the outcome wasn't known yet...but i guess they had already voted when the thread was made...my bad.

Yeah in 1991/92. The mother of my beautiful child was at Univ. of Washington. And I was along for the fun. Couldn't get a visa in the end and had to leave. It was fun. It was right when Grunge was taking off: Mudhoney's 2nd album was just out, Sub Pop records, Nirvana's Nevermind was out. It was a great time to be in Seattle. Went down to Portland for a few games. They were in rebuild mode, so not very good yet.

MY FIRST JOB OUT OF THE ARmy was going to phone companies around the country as a contractor switching them over to fiber optics. Sounds cooler than it was, in short, I was a grunt.

Anyway, from march thru June of 1991 I was in Seattle, working downtown, hanging out at the fish market and the comic book stores. Who k ows, our shadows may have crossed? Small world.

Hm. Interesting. If they did indeed - I assume there's a document saying such, would assumedly be easy to produce - then I would be wrong.

"Coyotes outside counsel Nick Wood delivered a potentially damaging blow to the council's effort when he reminded it that it had waived any conflict of interest concerns for Tindall, a point that councilmember Gary Sherwood confirmed Wednesday night from Salt Lake City, where he was attending a League of Cities meeting."

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/glendale-votes-to-cancel-lease-deal-with-coyotes-061015

Nice find.  

If that's the case - that the city council waived any conflict of interest with regards to the Coyotes hiring Tindall - then I don't see where they have a case.  I still don't fight this if I'm the NHL though.  

Anyway, from march thru June of 1991 I was in Seattle, working downtown, hanging out at the fish market and the comic book stores. Who k ows, our shadows may have crossed? Small world. 

They may well might have. I spent some time down at Pike Place Market too, watching the fish fly. Good times.

The NHL wants to maintain a presence in as many top media markets as possible. Let's not forget that the network that distributes their product is owned by an NHL owner.

Currently they have 14 of the top 20 media markets.
Losing Phoenix (#12) would drop them to 13.

Picking up Seattle (#14) makes it somewhat of a wash.

Picking up Kansas City (#32) or Vegas (#42) not so much.

The NHL wants to maintain a presence in as many top media markets as possible. Let's not forget that the network that distributes their product is owned by an NHL owner.

Currently they have 14 of the top 20 media markets.

Losing Phoenix (#12) would drop them to 13.

Picking up Seattle (#14) makes it somewhat of a wash.

Picking up Kansas City (#32) or Vegas (#42) not so much.

Which is why they didn't allow Balsillie to buy the team and move it to Hamilton, Ontario. They didn't want another team in Canada. The Thrashers forced their hand while the gullible councilors in Glendale kept writing the NHL blank cheques to keep the Coyotes.  :(

Which is why they didn't allow Balsillie to buy the team and move it to Hamilton, Ontario. They didn't want another team in Canada. The Thrashers forced their hand while the gullible councilors in Glendale kept writing the NHL blank cheques to keep the Coyotes.  :(

The NHL is fine with another team in Canada - the Jets moved there after the Balsilie thing.

The Thrashers didn't "force their hand" - True North was doing it in a low key, non-pressure manner instead of Balsillie trying to FORCE the league to do what he wanted (and in an underhanded manner as well).

The Leafs don't want a team in Hamilton. The Sabres don't want a team in Hamilton. Both teams feel that it would adversely affect their attendance. (I am not arguing whether or not it would - that's not the issue - the issue is both teams feel that it would).

The Sabres tapped the New York State Congressional delegation to put additional pressure on Bettman and the NHL offices. And the Leafs are the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

The NHL is fine with another team in Canada - the Jets moved there after the Balsilie thing.

The Thrashers didn't "force their hand" - True North was doing it in a low key, non-pressure manner instead of Balsillie trying to FORCE the league to do what he wanted (and in an underhanded manner as well).

The Leafs don't want a team in Hamilton. The Sabres don't want a team in Hamilton. Both teams feel that it would adversely affect their attendance. (I am not arguing whether or not it would - that's not the issue - the issue is both teams feel that it would).

The Sabres tapped the New York State Congressional delegation to put additional pressure on Bettman and the NHL offices. And the Leafs are the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Yeah, Hamilton is right at the border between Leafs and Sabres territory. Teams can veto a move if it infringes on their territory. So any team that would move into Hamilton would have to pay off the Leafs and the Sabres.  :)

Yes, the NHL is very much an old boy's club. They want newcomers to be yes men, not rock the boat. If there is even a hint you are a troublemaker, or will upset the old guard, you are gone without even starting. Jimmy found this out the hard way.

Yes, the NHL is very much an old boy's club. They want newcomers to be yes men, not rock the boat. If there is even a hint you are a troublemaker, or will upset the old guard, you are gone without even starting. Jimmy found this out the hard way.

If I recall correctly, he was going to buy the "Arizona Coyotes" and then simply pull up stakes and move them to Hamilton regardless of what anyone else wanted...

12th largest media market in the US to a 650K media market in Canada...

If I recall correctly, he was going to buy the "Arizona Coyotes" and then simply pull up stakes and move them to Hamilton regardless of what anyone else wanted...

You have been hammering home the market size, and it's 100% true, Gary want's the most exposure to the biggest cities and he is desperate to achieve that goal. You seem to have a firm grasp on the population of big cities, what are the 3 biggest US markets that the NHL is *not* currently in?  I would suspect one of those 3 will be the next home of the NHL.

You have been hammering home the market size, and it's 100% true, Gary want's the most exposure to the biggest cities and he is desperate to achieve that goal. You seem to have a firm grasp on the population of big cities, what are the 3 biggest US markets that the NHL is *not* currently in? I would suspect one of those 3 will be the next home of the NHL.

Hello Seattle!

the plot thickens.....

http://coyotes.nhl.c...s.htm?id=770684

Coyotes Issue Statement Regarding Legal Actions Taken Against City of Glendale

Friday, 06.12.2015 / 12:30 PM MT / News
Arizona Coyotes

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Friday, June 12, 2015

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- The Arizona Coyotes issued the following statement today:

"The Arizona Coyotes have acted to defend their rights and reaffirm their continuing commitment to their great fans by seeking a restraining order to stop the City of Glendale's baseless attack on, and improper attempt to void, the Coyotes' lawful and proper lease to play at Gila River Arena. The suit was filed in Maricopa County Superior Court against the City of Glendale, the Glendale City Council and other City officials."

Market size = meaningless. Fanbase is what counts. The team would be more profitable in Hamilton by 100x over (if the Leafs and Sabres let it in) then it could ever be in Phoenix. In fact, Hamilton would quickly become a top 5 NHL franchise in terms of net income because of the strength of the southern Ontario market.

Sadly, this is about Bettman putting teams in large US TV markets regardless of whether anyone is watching hockey down there. That's the only reason the NHL keeps trying to keep the Coyotes alive. They ripped the Jets and Nordiques out immediately when given the opportunity because those aren't big TV markets.

:(

Cooper Rummell@CooperRummell

#BREAKING Judge grants @ArizonaCoyotes temporary restraining order against Glendale. @KTAR923

Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman

LOL. This is too funny. Sad and funny at the same time. That's what happens when you deal with the devil.  :D

City of Glendale: "Gary, we want you and your product to leave."

Bettman: "We're NEVER leaving! Mwhahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!"

City of Glendale: "We have no money left. You've taken it all."

Bettman: "We're going to keep taking your money foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Mwahahahahahaha!"

In pictures:

City of Glendale: :notfair:

Bettman: :devil:

Market size = meaningless. Fanbase is what counts. The team would be more profitable in Hamilton by 100x over (if the Leafs and Sabres let it in) then it could ever be in Phoenix. In fact, Hamilton would quickly become a top 5 NHL franchise in terms of net income because of the strength of the southern Ontario market.

Sadly, this is about Bettman putting teams in large US TV markets regardless of whether anyone is watching hockey down there. That's the only reason the NHL keeps trying to keep the Coyotes alive. They ripped the Jets and Nordiques out immediately when given the opportunity because those aren't big TV markets.

:(

Aside from the fact the people who own teams and run the league believe in media market size, you may have a point.

To be clear, wouldn't surprise me to see them go back to Quebec which us about the same size.

They are NOT going to Hamilton.

Archived