Monarchs rule in AHL

yave1964

mOhcwZTZ0yUeW8L1N3yZ18w.jpg For the first time in franchise history, the Manchester Monarchs have won the Calder cup having defeated the Utica Comets in five games.

The Los Angeles Kings top farm club was led by postseason MVP Jordan Weal (10-12-22) a solid prospect for 2015-16. Adrian Kempe, an 18 year old prospect signed before the postseason pitched in with 8 goals and learned the ropes by rooming with Paul Bissonnette, the blogger and former NHLer. Kind of a Crash Davis breaking in Nuke Laloosh. That is one hotel room that might have been fun to plant a bug in.

AHL vets Brian O'Neill and Sean Backman as well as a personal favorite of mine, David Van Der gulik mqoGSG-DX58LAAwyKaDvrdA.jpg (one of only a half dozen or so former NHLers who I have personally met, when he played in Lake Erie) led the team combined with solid prospects such as Weal, Kempe, Michael Mersch and Nick Shore among the top forwards, Colin Miller a solid puck moving blueliner, as well as a double duo in net in J.f. Berube and Patrik Bartosak.

The Kings are ready to restock for next year, Martin Jones is going to be pushed as the backup goalie, Miller should find a home on the back end, and the kid forwards will push guys like King and Nolan, possibly out the door.

Congrats to the Monarchs on an epic season. Wire to wire the best team in the AHL.

The Monarchs had the best record in the AHL in the regular season and ran roughshod over the other clubs in the playoffs, going 16-4.

@Samifan

The new Ontario Reign, moving to SoCal to be closer to the Kings. It makes sense, Manchester is getting an ECHL team. Actually I am not sure if they are going to be the Reign or what name they are going to use. I really cannot fault the Kings, having your AHL team literally on the other side of the country was poor planning.

@Samifan

The new Ontario Reign, moving to SoCal to be closer to the Kings. It makes sense, Manchester is getting an ECHL team. Actually I am not sure if they are going to be the Reign or what name they are going to use. I really cannot fault the Kings, having your AHL team literally on the other side of the country was poor planning.

Oh, I completely understand and I think it was a smart move by the AHL & NHL to have the California teams in close proximity to their farm/parent club. Still must be bittersweet for the Manchester fans to go from watching a successful AHL program to a new ECHL team in the Fall but at least they aren't losing hockey all together. I think Adirondack is doing the same thing.

Archived