Todd Nelson new coach of the Griffins

yave1964

miI9ISG4b93-66YSp5IcvJQ.jpg The first player in Grand Rapids Griffins history is coming home. Todd Nelson was the first Griffin ever signed back in 1997 and played five full years in GR and part of another before retiring. He cut his teeth in coaching as an assistant with the Griffins back in 2002-03.

Todd Nelson, the former interim coach of the Edmonton Oilers who replaced Dallas Eakins when he was canned was let go in favor of Todd McLellan, and the Oilers loss is the Wings/Griffins gain.

Nelson coached four years with the Oilers AHL club in Oklahoma City leading his team to 2 conference finals. I watch a lot of AHL hockey, Nelson always had his team ready to play.

He was considered the runner up for the Oilers job which was given to McLellan, and was offered a job as an assistant coach with the team, which he declined. The Penguins were also looking at him to coach their AHL franchise.

An X and O coach, a players coach, strictly my gut but I think he will make Anthony Mantha a personal project and get the kid on track.

Curious what Oiler fans think of him.

When Anton Lander went to his first NHL training camp, the Oilers decided he was ready, and put him on a line with Darcy Hordichuk and Lennart Petrell. Lander was advanced in his defensive knowledge of the game, but had work to do on his skating and offensive awareness, and playing with two pylons, he learned nothing. He was rushed, and it nearly ruined him. By the time Nelson was done with Lander, he was one of the top scorers in the AHL, took tough defensive draws, and played an all-around game. Dallas Eakins pretty much made it be known that he didn't think much of Lander as a hockey player, and Lander was looking towards Europe. Until Eakins was fired and Nelson was brought in for the rest of the year, brought Lander along with him, and placed him in a showcase role. And Lander produced for him in all situations, just as he did in Oklahoma. Most following the Oilers give tremendous credit to Nelson for turning around the career of Anton Lander.

I think Todd Nelson is the perfect guy for Mantha. Detroit couldn't have done better, and Nelson moves to a stable franchise which has the reputation of promoting from within. I think this is a terrific move for both Detroit AND Todd Nelson.

@flyercanuck

Wow what a compliment FC, sincerely mean that. I appreciate the sentiment but I think I will stick to the writing I do in here. this forum seems  like home to me and I enjoy the freedom that HF allows me, If i feel like doing a piece on each team as they are eliminated or a quick writeup on the KHL or the Manchester Monarchs or discussing the coaching style of a Bob Hartley, I have that freedom. If i miss a week because I am tied up with personal issues nobody is asking why i missed a deadline. If I do three in a day it is all fine. So yes, THANK YOU but this is home.

Seriously, @yave1964, if I was you, I'd keep the idea of writing hockey editorials at least in the back of my mind. I don't know that you have ever told me what you do for a living, but your hockey mind is quite impressive. You're pretty level-headed and fair-minded most of the time, even when you are discussing non-RW topics. Your awareness of the pulse of minor league hockey gives you insight that most do not possess, and I include myself in that "most." That kind of thinking and ability to communicate it in the written word is valuable, not just as a chum on a forum, but monetarily, I would think.

I'm a dentist, and I make pretty decent money doing what I love. I don't know what you do, if you love what you do, and how much you make for what you do, but at some point it might do you some good to sit down and think about this as either a side thing or, perhaps, as a vocation. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up what you do.

And don't worry, if you ended up making it big, you HF buds here would be sure to heckle you good, so you'd feel right at home! ;-D

I agree with FC. Definitely worth a sit-down thinking session over a beer or three!

Archived