Draft Day, who do the Flyers pick at #7?

pilldoc

With the #7 pick of the 2015 NHL Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select:_________________  

51 members have voted

1. 1. With the #7 pick of the 2015 NHL Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select:_________________

• Ivan Provorov (D) – Brandon (WHL)
    • Lawson Crouse (LW) – Kingston (OHL)
    • Mikko Rantanen (RW) – TPS Turku (SM-liiga)
    • Zack Werenski (D) – US Under 17
    • Pavel Zacha (C) –Sarnia (OHL)
    • Mathew Barzal (C) – Seattle (WHL)
    • Timo Meier (LW) – Halifax (QMJHL)
    • Kyle Connor (C) – Youngstown (USHL)
    • OTHER
    • TRADE - UP
    • TRADE - DOWN

Ok with 4 days to Draft Day, who do the Flyers pick at #7?

We have all discussed our picks ad nauseum on here for that past few weeks.  We have listed the pros and cons for each player.  It is now time for you to cast your vote.

I am purposely leaving McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, and Strome off the list.  Reason be, that if any of them should happen to be available at #7, the Flyers would be stupid in not drafting them.

Therefore I am listing only those draft eligible players who would be a reasonable choice for the Flyers at #7.

CC6exh0VAAARpGf.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok with 4 days to Draft Day, who do the Flyers pick at #7?

We have all discussed our picks ad nauseum on here for that past few weeks.  We have listed the pros and cons for each player.  It is now time for you to cast your vote.

I am purposely leaving McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, and Strome off the list.  Reason be, that if any of them should happen to be available at #7, the Flyers would be stupid in not drafting them.

Therefore I am listing only those draft eligible players who would be a reasonable choice for the Flyers at #7.

CC6exh0VAAARpGf.jpg

Quite frankly, defense is already the best part of your prospect pool. With Morin, Sanheim and Ghost.

I understand the want to go Provorov, but the need?

The need I often hear complaints for is a goal scoring Winger. And let's face it, Fans also love a rough and tumble sort of power forward at that position.

With that in mind, and thinking of the "Broad Street Bully" culture, Lawson Crouse. The man is physically, NHL ready and could jump in as soon as next season

Reading your own write up from the draft thread..

8-Lawson Crouse

Offensive zone ability: B

Offensive transition ability: B

Puck movement and possession retention: B

Defensive transition ability: A+

Defensive zone ability: B

Defense: mixed

Offense: forceful

Keywords, unique identity traits: size, shot, forechecking reads, net/traffic play

Room for improvement: Playmaking vision, translating strengths into production

Full analysis: Lawson Crouse is a big 6'4 athletic power winger that plays a mature high hockey IQ game in combination with great tenacity. Although not a great playmaker, Crouse does show the ability to maintain possession in the offensive zone and boasts a great shot to boot. He is a great skater for his size both in top speed as well as acceleration and overall mobility, and gets around the ice with ease. Will sacrifice his body to make plays as well as dishing out and has zero issues about playing in "dirty" areas of the ice, be it causing traffic in front of the opposing net or committing to board battles, where he is adept at not only protecting the puck but also stripping it in a forechecking role. Does a good job in gaining the "inside" position in puck-battles and wins the majority of them. Crouse's reads without the puck are very good both without the puck where he does a good job both in a forechecking role and defensive zone reads, as well as when his team has the puck where he supports the play well, presenting himself as a passing option or attacking the front of the net to cause havoc which opens up space for his teammates. One thing that is particularly impressive about Crouse are his reads in a forechecking setting as he does a fantastic job at disrupting break-outs by using his long stick and mobility. However despite his natural athleticism, it is his ability to read the play and commit himself that makes him so unique as most prospects of his age do not posses the ability to be that kind of a forechecking threat. Crouse reads the opposition's puck-movement fantastically and does a very good job at making it hard for the opposition to break-out cleanly, in combination of him being as big and fast as he is as well as an above-avarage wall player, that can lead to sustained offensive zone time. This is really the reason why Crouse has that ability to slide up and down the line-up. If you pair him with 1st line talents, Crouse will effectively disrupt the break-outs, cause changes of possession, protect the puck at the wall, present a shot option and go to the net, which is really the classic skilled grinder role in a top 6. It is why Chris Kunitz made the Olympic team, it's not flashy but it's a specific role that brings a particular skill-set to the table and allows some of the more talented players on the line to excel.

Crouse also commits his body to the task at hand in all three zones and all aspects of the game which makes him a coach's dream, in the defensive zone though not as advanced as in his forecheck, he still does a significantly well-above average job, and works hard to use his stick to block lanes and his size to be a factor on the wall. Does not prematurely exit the zone and does a decent job in providing puck-support and passing options for break-outs. Offensively Crouse's main weapons are his ability to disrupt the opposition and cause turnovers, his excellent wall-play where he does a good job of maintaining possession and winning battles, his shot, and his ability to compete and excel in traffic in front of the net. With the puck on his stick, he is capable of making solid plays that allow his team for offensive zone time, but doesn't display significant creativity with his playmaking, and thus isn't likely to project as someone who would dictate offensive zone play with the puck on his stick. Instead Crouse excels at integrating himself within the team fabric and excelling at doing the line's "dirty jobs" while also boasting an above-average skill level, a shot threat, and speed. This should allow Crouse to have the ability to slide up-and-down the line-up and be an all-situations player while providing value in whatever role he is slotted in. Could be used in more checking roles at 3rd line with some offense to chip in or be used in a complimentary role on the 1st line where he excels at the aspects of the game that can really make a line fit and come together as a unit. With Crouse we can conservatively say that he should be a top 9 winger with the ability to slide up and down the line-up, a 1st PK option and potentially, courtesy of his shot and net ability, a 2nd PP option. Though it is not uncommon to use players like him in top 6 roles where if correctly used they bring ample value. Crouse's game should be one of the easiest ones to translate to NHL level, it is not hard to envision him playing on a 4th line even tomorrow, but the question mark with him really is whether he can solidify himself as a consistent top line complimentary option that still brings tons of value. Developmentally Crouse already boasts a mature game with not many glaring weaknesses, with the skill-set he has it could be positive for him to further develop his ability to find "soft-spots" in the offensive zone to get his shot off, so that he really presents a scoring option at the next level instead of being "just" a grinder.

Development focus: Would benefit by adding some offensive zone manipulation/deception with the puck on his stick

Projection: top 6 winger with ability to slide up and down the line-up, both PP and PK ability

@J0e Th0rnton

Trust me I have argued this in my head the past few weeks.  The duo of Sanheim / Provorov would be a dynamic 1st Line Defense for years to come.  I believe you still win SC with defense.  Provorov has stud d-man written all over him.  Someone is the Flyers defense prospect pool, will  be a bust.  Ghost is not and will not be a shutdown d-man.  Morin looks good.  IMO, you win in this league with defense.

With that in mind, and thinking of the "Broad Street Bully" culture

As much as I love the Flyers Broad Street heritage, the Flyers as a team needs to move forward away from that mentality.  The NHL today is not the NHL of the 70's.  Crouse no dobt will be a star in this league, but he is a bit of a gamble and I have read that if there is a bust in the top 10, Crouse could be that player.

I'd just rather go BPA and IMO Provorov is better than Crouse.  Very tough decision for the Flyers in which way they want to go.  I won't be disappointed if they choose Crouse, but he is more of a gamble.

If you're drafting for need, I say Crouse or Rantanen. If you're going for "best player available", then it's Provorov. My gut tells me they'll pick Provorov. Provorov by most accounts is almost NHL ready, and could crack their NHL lineup in 3 years or less.

Voted Crouse because I just don't see the Flyers passing on him if he's there at #7. Not only does he address a need but he is arguably the BPA:

Central scouting ranks him 5th.

ISS has him 4th

McKenzie has him right at 7

Hockeyprospect.com has him at 8

If someone like Strome, Marner or Hanifin were to drop to 7 I could see the Flyers taking one of them but otherwise I would be surprised if Crouse doesn't put on a Flyers sweater on Friday night.

@J0e Th0rnton

Trust me I have argued this in my head the past few weeks.  The duo of Sanheim / Provorov would be a dynamic 1st Line Defense for years to come.  I believe you still win SC with defense.  Provorov has stud d-man written all over him.  Someone is the Flyers defense prospect pool, will  be a bust.  Ghost is not and will not be a shutdown d-man.  Morin looks good.  IMO, you win in this league with defense.

As much as I love the Flyers Broad Street heritage, the Flyers as a team needs to move forward away from that mentality.  The NHL today is not the NHL of the 70's.  Crouse no dobt will be a star in this league, but he is a bit of a gamble and I have read that if there is a bust in the top 10, Crouse could be that player.

I'd just rather go BPA and IMO Provorov is better than Crouse.  Very tough decision for the Flyers in which way they want to go.  I won't be disappointed if they choose Crouse, but he is more of a gamble.

Of that I have no doubt :P

I would love Provorov myself for the Sharks. Mostly because our defensive pool is super shallow and our forward pool, while lacking blue chip talent, if quite promising.

The only thing different for me from most Shark fans is a wish to use our 2nd round pick on a goalie. Particularly if Blackwood, Samsonov or Vladar are available. I am usually outspoken about not wasting picks higher than 3rd or 4th round on a goalie, but the Sharks literally have no goalie prospects. Sateri booked to the KHL and Grossnick has AHL goalie or career backup written all over him. We have nothing.

If the sharks could somehow trade for another 2nd round pick this draft, I would be ecstatic.

But back to the question at hand. I feel the Flyers really missed Hartnell this season. Certainly he would have made an impact over dudburger. I really think along the same lines as you regarding defense, but I truly feel Crouse to be a Flyer.

and could crack their NHL lineup in 3 years or less.

I know you said "or less" but what I have heard he is NHL ready now. Give him a mulligan for 1 year at the most. The one thing Provorov would do is make the Hextall d-men decision process even more messy. We are already way over crowded. I would not "not" pick him because of that though. It will be interesting how he manages it though.

I think Provorov is the pick if he's there. I get the argument against drafting defense again, but I really believe in BPA in the NHL draft, since you have so many lower levels available to stash and develop players. If Provorov has the potential to be the best defenseman out of Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, et al, why WOULDN'T you draft him? You can always deal from a position of strength to help fill needs.

If Provorov is as good as they say, Hextall should do what he can to move up in the draft.

Every Cup winner in recent memory has had a stud d-man.

Duncan Keith basically just stole a Cup for Chicago. The Kings relied heavily on Drew Doughty to win 2 Cups.

I think Provorov is the pick if he's there. I get the argument against drafting defense again, but I really believe in BPA in the NHL draft, since you have so many lower levels available to stash and develop players. If Provorov has the potential to be the best defenseman out of Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, et al, why WOULDN'T you draft him? You can always deal from a position of strength to help fill needs.

^^^ This.

I guess it depends whose charts you follow and how much you have seen of each player to determine BPA.

For my money, any one of Provorov, Werenski, Zacha, Barzal, Crouse, Rantanen are going to be superstars and would go top 5 in most drafts the past 10 years. Ill be happy with any of them, but I would like to address the Sharks needs.

If Wilson does another stupid "off the charts" draft pick, I will lose my mind.

In 2003, Parise and Getzlaf were universally ranked higher than Steve Bernier, but Wilson decided to make an off the map pick his first year as GM. Nobody was too happy when he took Setoguchi over Kopitar either, although Kopitar had some work ethic question marks. He looked like a genius for a little bit, as Joe Thornton masked Setoguchi's poorness. But thank god he saw where Seto was going downhill and shipped him for Brent Burns.

Sing it AJ!   Exactly how I feel about it as well...

I dont know about Crouse... I have seen so many mock drafts that have the kid all over the place.   Some think he is going to fall beyond 10 and some even have him out of the top 15... I know mock drafts are, well eh, a mock but there seems to be a little bit of risk with Crouse at 7.   If Provorov drops to 7 you now have incredible depth at defense in the prospect pool.   Most believe Prov will be in the NHL next year...  you are now in a position of strength for a trade of one of the prospects to bring in a winger or move up in the draft to grab someone they want.  

Crouse, although a need, I am just not sold on... this draft NEEDS to produce an elite type player for the Flyers.  This draft is huge as far as the future is concerned.  

I don't think Crouse ends up going top 10.  I  think he drops.

If Provolone is available--and I'm also going to go on record and say he WON'T be--there's no way I don't draft him.  If Provolov is gone at #7, I think we end up with Timo Meier.   Crouse maybe, but they ought to drop back a few spots if that's the plan.

My ideal choice would be Provorov. I worry he doesn't get past Toronto

This is my thought, as well, grump.  I think as much as everyone assumes Strome to Toronto, I think they take Provorov.

I'm all for Prov if he is sitting there at #7.  I fear he won't be there, given the fact that all teams should crave an NHL ready defense man if he is available.  I fear he will be a thorn in our sides with the Devils since they are always so defensive minded, though I do not know what their greatest needs are, so maybe they will be thinking offense.  I have a feeling they will end up with Rat, which from what I have seen and hear of him, would not be a bad thing, but if possible, i'd rather them take a potential stud d-man since they are harder to find in the free agent market than a good winger.  If they had some cap space to work with (Thanks Homer), they could be looking for offensive help on the open market rather than in the draft.

My ideal choice would be Provorov. I worry he doesn't get past Toronto

Toronto's current #1 center is Bozak, followed by Kadri.

I have a feeling your worries are misplaced :P

Arizona is in the same boat. Gagner/Hanzal is their #1 center.

Quite frankly, nobody was crying harder than Arizona when Edm won the lottery.

It is entirely possible that Hanifin, the 3rd best player available drops to 5th for the Canes. The devils have oodles of defensive prospects and need a forward badly.

On the other hand, I can't believe how much Provorov's stock has gone up this season. He was considered a fringe 1st, likely 2nd rounder a year ago.

Ill be happy as a clam if we get Provorov or Werenski. Both are going to be studs.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what GMs go after needs. I've seen mocks which had Hanifin falling all the way to/past 7 because they predicted GMs picking forwards. The thing is, with the strength of this draft, you wouldn't say that those GMs were necessarily reaching. It will be a fun night, for sure.

Gotta love the odds of the Flyers getting it right. I went back a few years to allow fof the pick to get established in the NHL, the players who were selected number 7 between 2006 and 2011 are:

Mark Scheifele

Jeff Skinner

Nazim Kadri

Colin Wilson

Voracek

Okposo

Wow. No real bums in the bunch. a bunch of top six forwards of varying skill.

I think the Flyers go defense like Edmonton did a few years ago at number 7 with Darnell Nurse, going with Provorov. He seems ready to play in the NHL right now. I doubt he gets to the Flyers but if he does, it is a no brainer.

So Crouse would not be a bad consolation prize if he is gone. I voted for Crouse simply because I do not see Provorov as likely still being there.

For my money, any one of Provorov, Werenski, Zacha, Barzal, Crouse, Rantanen are going to be superstars and would go top 5 in most drafts the past 10 years.

I don't know about them being superstars but I see that group of players as fairly interchangeable as far as BPA. I haven't seen anything that really suggests that one of them stands out above the others. I think they all will be very good NHL players.

I understand the want to go Provorov, but the need?

They will be set on the blueline for a decade...you can never having to many defensemen...teams don't trade and if they do you will pay a king's ransome for one...the only ones you can't get cheaply are the ones you don't really need...just look at their current blueline a bunch of spare parts...

I think if Provolone is there that is the pick. If not I think Timo Meier is the pick. Crouse might be too big of a gamble at 7

I would prefer Meier over Rantanen for sure if for no other reason he is a LW.

Archived