Who is the Greatest Player Ever? (Poll)

ScottM

Who is the GOAT?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Greatest Hockey Player Ever?

• Wayne Gretzky
    • Gordie Howe
    • Mario Lemieux
    • Bobby Orr
    • Someone Else (tell us who in a comment)

500-425176-894__1.jpg

We've had discussion along these lines before, but I don't think we've ever had a formal poll. I included the four guys that I suspect will get the lion's share of the votes, but if you pick someone else, feel free to leave a comment and tell us who it is. There's no intended significance to the order of listing. I simply put the names in alphabetical order. Who's your pick?

i voted for Wayne Gretzky simply based on all the achievements he accomplished during his career.  Although Mario, had he played the same amout of games, could have been darn close to Waynes' totals.  In 1487 games, Gretzky amassed 2857 points.  In 915 games, Mario amassed 1723 points.  Had Mario played the same amounnt of games, he would be projected out to 2800 points. Almost a statical dead heat in my eyes.

Lets us not forget that both Mario and Wayne played in a different hockey era.  So you really cannot compare Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr to either Gretzky or Mario.  Numbers wise you simply cannot beat Gretky.  However, prior to Gretzky, Gordie Howe is the undeniable champ in my eyes.

So....

pre-modern hockery era = Gordie Howe

post-modern hockey era = Wayne Gretzky

That's out I view it...with Mario a very close 2nd had he played the same number of games as Gretzky.

Any discussion of the best ever needs to include Nick Lidstrom. If you know anything about hockey you will have him on your list. This guy was so smart he would go months between crossovers. and maybe the best first pass in history. 

Gretzky - Orr - Lemieux - Howe - Lidstrom  - The Rocket. you choose the order.

Any discussion of the best ever needs to include Nick Lidstrom. If you know anything about hockey you will have him on your list. This guy was so smart he would go months between crossovers. and maybe the best first pass in history. 

Gretzky - Orr - Lemieux - Howe - Lidstrom  - The Rocket. you choose the order.

For the record, the two guys you added are 5th and 6th in my book. My order for those is: Orr, Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Richard, Lidstrom.

For me, it's a dead heat between Orr and Gretzky, Wayne gets a slight edge, but we were robbed of 5-6 years of Orr (maybe more, who knows?), which sucks.

To me the brevity of Orr's career is one of the biggest what-if's in hockey history. No bad knees on him, and people wouldn't think Gretzky was such a foregone conclusion. Just my two cents.

This one at face value is a no brainer for me. It's Wayne every time.

If Mario didn't have to stop playing because of his illness, could this be different? I'm very hesitant to say maybe. Regardless of the answer you give, I think the 80s were a much different time for hockey in which Gretz thrived. When the average save percentage for an NHL goalie is .900 and you've got the best one on your team, you're gunna win some cups. Never won outside of Edmonton, which is peculiar to me...

What about most clutch player of all time?

Justin Williams?

Mark Messier?

@ihabs1993  When you are talking clutch, you have to at least add Claude Lemieux into the conversation. He has a ton of OT and game winning goals, when the Devils needed a goal, he was usually right there.

MOST GAME-WINNING GOALS IN PLAYOFFS: 24 - Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton, Los Angeles, St. Louis, NY Rangers 24 - Brett Hull, St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit 19 - Claude Lemieux, Montreal, New Jersey, Colorado, Phoenix, Dallas 18 - Maurice Richard, Montreal 18 - Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche 17 - Mike Bossy, NY Islanders 17 - Glenn Anderson, Edmonton, Toronto, NY Rangers,

This one at face value is a no brainer for me. It's Wayne every time.

If Mario didn't have to stop playing because of his illness, could this be different? I'm very hesitant to say maybe. Regardless of the answer you give, I think the 80s were a much different time for hockey in which Gretz thrived. When the average save percentage for an NHL goalie is .900 and you've got the best one on your team, you're gunna win some cups. Never won outside of Edmonton, which is peculiar to me...

What about most clutch player of all time?

Justin Williams?

Mark Messier?

Welcome back ihabs! Where have you been! :)  Seriously, I often wonder that myself, the what could have been had Mario stayed healthy during his entire career.  As you see from the post I posted above, he was on pace to have just as many points as Gretzky.

For me, it's a dead heat between Orr and Gretzky, Wayne gets a slight edge, but we were robbed of 5-6 years of Orr (maybe more, who knows?), which sucks.

Orr is the Mickey Mantle of hockey.

Welcome back ihabs! Where have you been! :)  Seriously, I often wonder that myself, the what could have been had Mario stayed healthy during his entire career.  As you see from the post I posted above, he was on pace to have just as many points as Gretzky.

With Mario, it'll always be the ifs that separate him from Gretzky. And I've been on the sim leagues dealing with trades and draft housekeepings lol

Archived