Oilers get Griffin Reinhart

jammer2

The Oilers now have their top pairing on defense. Griffin Reinhart and Darnell Nurse will make up a LEGIt top pairing. HUGE building blocks, McDavid and Reinhart, must be very exciting time for the suffering Oilers fan base. Griffin may have had a less than spectaculer rookie campaign in the AHL, but make no mistake, picking him #4 was totally justified. He has all the tools to not only succeed. but to dominate. I think Nurse is the more talented of the two, but Griffin is right behind him, not much seperating them IMHO. Like the fact they both have some snarling mean streak in them.....real nice trade for the Oilers. It's so hard to get your hands on a guy like this, legit #1 d-man don't grow on trees.

@jammer2

Reinhart has looked like a bust, I love the deal for the Isles, getting Barzal plus the first pick in the second round.

I understand the logic for the Oilers, no d-man at 17 was going to be anywhere near the potential that Reinhart offers. Well worth the risk, They are buying low on him, he looked lost last season and looks more of a project than what a lot of folks thought. He clearly was not ready last season. He may be a year or two out but has great size and like you said, he could be a huge pickup.

The Oilers paid full price, that's for damned sure. Other than that, why do I have the feeling that a lot of Oilers fans will be complaining about Reinhart the way the Flyers fans griped about Coburn? What's a bit puzzling is that Chiarelli said he refuses to use #16 on Talbot, but was willing to pay #16 AND #33 for Reinhart...

• Like 2

I don't understand that trade at all. It seems like too much of a risk from Edmonton's viewpoint. Reinhart is totally unproven. I'd be ecstatic if I were an Isles fan. Edmonton may have one-upped Buffalo.

I don't understand that trade at all. It seems like too much of a risk from Edmonton's viewpoint. Reinhart is totally unproven. I'd be ecstatic if I were an Isles fan. Edmonton may have one-upped Buffalo.

In fairness, draft picks are the definition of unproven. Not saying I'm in love with the trade...

• Like 1

In fairness, draft picks are the definition of unproven. Not saying I'm in love with the trade...

Very true, but two unprovens give you a better shot than one unproven.

Very true, but two unprovens give you a better shot than one unproven.

Like I said, I'm hesitant about the trade, with the caveat that Reinhart is less of an unproven than are two kids who have yet to finish their junior career let alone turn pro. This may bite the Oilers in the ass and it may not; I don't know. I think it's fair to remember that we're not talking about a failed prospect here.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

A report covering this past season:

Reinhart has made a smooth transition to the professional level. He started the season with the Islanders appearing in three games before being sent down to Bridgeport. With the Sound Tigers, he has displayed good instincts at both ends of the rink. Offensively he put up a respectable two goals and six assists in 16 games. Reinhart was also used in a shutdown role against the opponent’s top players. In early December, he earned a call-up back to New York when injuries hit the Islanders blue line. In five games, Reinhart registered his first NHL point.

Reinhart’s biggest asset is his hockey sense. He is a steady defenseman who reads the play well. He recognizes the situation as to when to be aggressive and when to back off. Reinhart moves the puck well with a strong outlet pass. His game in the offensive zone is still developing. Reinhart is a safe bet to become top four defenseman and is closing in on being ready for full time NHL duty.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/116699/influx-new-prospects-making-impact-new-york-islanders-ahl-affiliate/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A very good video about risk aversion:

Entry draft day is no different, where most GMs are extremely risk averse with their picks. They view the loss of a young player, even one on track for a very good career, as more palatable than losing out on a chance to draft two kids, even though the vast majority will never have regular NHL careers.

• 5 years later...
On 6/26/2015 at 9:42 PM, JR Ewing said:

Looking back through an old thread (slow day at work)...

...imagine if this had never went down Oilers could've had Barzal in their top 6. Maybe on McDavid wing...just think about that....

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looking back through an old thread (slow day at work)...

...imagine if this had never went down Oilers could've had Barzal in their top 6. Maybe on McDavid wing...just think about that....

Very true.

But you can pretty much play that game with every team in the league.