Mitchell Stevens

I'm extremely excited about the Lightning picking up Mitchell Stevens. I just got done wathing a marathon of highlights from him playing with the Marlboroughs and he seems explosive, aware and hungry for the net. I know for a fact he'll start his trek in the AHL which will build his skills even more but this kid is a flame that can't be tamed. Great pick Yzerman! The other players are solid picks too, I don't doubt Yaz on passing up his first round pick anymore. He's always been good at picking diamonds from the rough and so far Stevens is extremely promising!

The only thing that kind of worries me about Spencer is he had an overall -15 last year. I'm not saying it's his fault but hopefully he blossoms in the AHL

Yea, what @flyercanuck said...also, +/- is NOT the be-all, end all as far as a telling stat.

It's nice to look at, but it's just one of those things that you really have to look at the context of it.

If he was a -30 or so on a reasonably good team, then it might be something to worry about.

But as FC pointed out, Peterborough wasn't such a hot defensive team in the first place, so Spencer's +/- might simply fall in line with the team in general.

He will have time to simmer in juniors and the minors before possibly getting his shot in the NHL though.

Bolts are fortunate enough to have a deep enough talent pool on defense now that they don't HAVE to rush anyone.

As for Stephens, well, he falls in line with the small, skilled forwards the Lightning seem to like.

Maybe he will usher in a new era of Triplets when his time comes....now all we gotta do is get some other players that look like him (nationality isn't important...haha), play like him, and are about his size, to come up with him at the same time.  :)

Good replies from you both, I'm learning! I always looked at the +/- but it was never my final factor on how I judge a player. I'm just not used to seeing a number that big seeing how a lot of my attention goes toward a team that scores like crazy with every line. :)

Archived