Read on the top line

Guest brelic

According to the beat writers:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20120105_Blackhawks_back_in_town_to_play_Flyers.html

Line dance

With Jaromir Jagr sidelined for 7 to 10 days because of a groin injury, the Flyers needed to shuffle their lines yesterday.

Rookie Matt Read skated with the first line, joining Scott Hartnell and Claude Giroux. Briere centered between Max Talbot and Jakub Voracek on the second line. James van Riemsdyk skated with Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds on the third line.

"I walked in and saw I was on the line with them and thought [Peter Laviolette] made a spelling error," Read joked. "I was excited. You probably get only one of these shots to make the most of the opportunities. I look forward to playing with those guys."

Read has been a model of versatility for the Flyers this season, bouncing between lines and positions. The versatility is valued by Laviolette. Read said what he needs to do with the top line is win puck battles in the corners and set up his high-profile linemates.

"I've played on every line pretty much this season, and it's something you adapt to as quickly as you can," Read said. "You kind of know the players you're playing with, and you mentally prepare to what they're going to do so you can adjust to it."

Jagr's injury also means that either Zac Rinaldo or Jody Shelley will join the lineup. Rinaldo was skating with the fourth line with Sean Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk.

So, essentially, we have:

Read/G/Hartnell

Talbot/Briere/Voracek

JVR/Schenn/Simmonds

Rinaldo/Couturier/Z

What I'd like to see when Jagr comes back is this:

Jagr/G/Hartnell

Read/Briere/Voracek

JVR/Schenn/Simmonds

Rinaldo/Couturier/Talbot

I like the looks of your suggested lines. I would like to see Talbot on the 3rd and either Simmonds or JvR on the 4th.

It is a lot of depth when I can say a player like JvR or Cooter could be on the 4th line.

Wonder is Mr. Universe will be in net tonight?

I would like to see:

Jagr - Giroux - Read

Hartnell - Briere - Voracek

Talbot - Schenn - Simmonds

Sestito - Court - JVR

They have to get at least Briere going. Put Hartnell back with him to see if he can spark him back to life.

What I'd like to see when Jagr comes back is this:

Jagr/G/Hartnell

Read/Briere/Voracek

JVR/Schenn/Simmonds

Rinaldo/Couturier/Talbot

Those aren't bad lines but I would change it a bit. I would swap JVR and Talbot. Maybe some time with the rookies on the 4th line might be good for JVR?

I would like to see:

Jagr - Giroux - Read

Hartnell - Briere - Voracek

Talbot - Schenn - Simmonds

Sestito - Court - JVR

They have to get at least Briere going. Put Hartnell back with him to see if he can spark him back to life.

That's three pretty damn good second lines. I really wish they would give Couts a solid finisher (unfortunately JVR has not proven to be such this year). What is you switch Schenn and Couts and force Schenn to prove himself some more.

That's three pretty damn good second lines. I really wish they would give Couts a solid finisher (unfortunately JVR has not proven to be such this year). What is you switch Schenn and Couts and force Schenn to prove himself some more.

The other thing they can try is:

Hartnell - Giroux - Couturier

Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek

vanRiemsdyk - Briere - Read

Rinaldo - Talbot - Zolnierczyk/Sestito

Briere and Read seemed to have some chemistry. JVR would give him the big guy on the boards ala Hartnell.

Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek could turn into a pretty strong line.

The other thing they can try is:

Hartnell - Giroux - Couturier

Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek

vanRiemsdyk - Briere - Read

Rinaldo - Talbot - Zolnierczyk/Sestito

Briere and Read seemed to have some chemistry. JVR would give him the big guy on the boards ala Hartnell.

Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek could turn into a pretty strong line.

I agree. I really like what I see from Voracek. Seems like he is right on the edge of blowing up with some big numbers. Been very noticeable out there. Simmonds has had his ups and downs but is a great complementary piece and I still have very high hopes for Schenn. That line could tear it up. eventually. maybe

Voracek is big but he plays soft like Carter

Kunckledragger, I have missed you and glad you made your way over here.

But seriously, what's wrong with you? Never mind that they aren't - remotely - similar hockey players for now. More importantly, presumably you know what the word "soft" means (see my comments on Hartnell's brain in another thread). And yet you use it all the time to describe all kinds of hockey players (see Carle, Matt). It makes me think you have never played hockey. Which is fine, but please shut up about stuff you don't know anything about.

Or not.

Kindest regards,

Pods

Edited by Podein25

Well it's not a party without K-tw@t. We're going to need him to chime in soon. I know he is on the side lines waiting......

I bet you would love a team full of Hatchers and Rathjes.

Bob Clarke is that you?

Edited by Bertmega

Tell me you didn't love Hatcher?? Did you hear the ovation he got at the alumni game?

I would love a team of Hatchers and Jason Smiths..

I liked those guys (loved Hatch actually, Smith was kind of a turnover machine) but let's get real- a team of those guys would be like a team of orange pylons. Pylons with sharp elbows, but pylons nonetheless.

@orange_crush

he's stong on the puck and actually involves his linemates in the play, not everyone needs to run the fing goalie to be a player

Well said. I'll say what I've said before - the kid kind of reminds me of Forsberg. Kind of reminds is not equivalent to saying he's as good as Forsberg - but the way he plays reminds me of Forsberg.

didn't the Bruins play the same kind of hockey and win the cup?

kind of , they were tough, but they had unreal goaltending from thomas and some really good luck when guys would hit desperate/diving defensemen instead of the rare open net. that bruins team is 1/3 as good without david krejci and he's not exactly hardnosed. you have to have a mix or skill and grit and voracek is a skill guy, he's big and tough on the puck, simmons is big and not a sissy and schenn is big and well i don't know, he took the body pretty well on malkenstien in pens game... i stand by the statement that simmonds schenn voracek could be a tough line to play against.