Shark Net, or who's in goal?

yave1964

391132179129_1.jpgA look at the goaltenders who were/are available and where they have landed:

Craig Anderson off the market with the trade of Lehner

Lehner Buffalo bound

Khubodin Anaheim

Lack Carolina

Talbot Edmonton

Howard Off the market

Niemi Dallas

Raanta the Rangers

Dudnyk resigned with Wild

Martin Jones to Boston

Wow, a lot of them already off the market before free agency even begins. A huge class of goalies and the Sharks still have an empty chair.

Those still available:

Karri Ramo

Possibly Karri Lehtonen

Possibly Bernier or Reimer from Toronto

Or the worst of all possible options which I am reading more and more, Michael Freaking Neuvirth who simply cannot play.

Ramo may be the best bet, combined with Stalock and ride whichever one is hot. Very little money invested in goalies, allows the team to spend elsewhere. That leaves the team hoping one of the two is hot. Grosenick is an okay prospect but not a star in the making in anyones estimation.

Bernier has hinted about wanting out in Toronto but they have bigger fish to fry trying to dump Kessel/Phaneuf. Bernier could be satisfied simply by trading Reimer out of town. I do not see him as much of an answer tho. And then there is Lehtonen. I should have attempted to place him on a terrorist watch list last year for the way he tried to sabotage my fantasy team. Just awful. Pick an adjective that is worse than awful and it describes him.

Rumblings from Boston is they may consider trading Rask. With Jones and Subban in net it may just be, and he would be a huge improvement for the Sharks. The Bruins desperately need a scoring winger or two, strictly my opinion is that Couture would have to be involved in any deal for Rask. You know Courure obviously better than I do but I think the Sharks might just have to swallow hard and make that deal. It makes no sense to me for the Bruins to make a Rask deal to anyone unless they are filling their primary need which is someone on the wing who can score. My God they kept throwing Gagne out there last year.

So barring stepping up and going big for Rask, the goalie market seems to have settled and Wilson seems to have struck out. He canot possibly want to have Stalock as his number one next year, can he? 16 million bucks, goalies dealt all over the map and not a single one has come to San Jose.

391132179129_1.jpgA look at the goaltenders who were/are available and where they have landed:

Craig Anderson off the market with the trade of Lehner

Lehner Buffalo bound

Khubodin Anaheim

Lack Carolina

Talbot Edmonton

Howard Off the market

Niemi Dallas

Raanta the Rangers

Dudnyk resigned with Wild

Martin Jones to Boston

Wow, a lot of them already off the market before free agency even begins. A huge class of goalies and the Sharks still have an empty chair.

Those still available:

Karri Ramo

Possibly Karri Lehtonen

Possibly Bernier or Reimer from Toronto

Or the worst of all possible options which I am reading more and more, Michael Freaking Neuvirth who simply cannot play.

Ramo may be the best bet, combined with Stalock and ride whichever one is hot. Very little money invested in goalies, allows the team to spend elsewhere. That leaves the team hoping one of the two is hot. Grosenick is an okay prospect but not a star in the making in anyones estimation.

Bernier has hinted about wanting out in Toronto but they have bigger fish to fry trying to dump Kessel/Phaneuf. Bernier could be satisfied simply by trading Reimer out of town. I do not see him as much of an answer tho. And then there is Lehtonen. I should have attempted to place him on a terrorist watch list last year for the way he tried to sabotage my fantasy team. Just awful. Pick an adjective that is worse than awful and it describes him.

Rumblings from Boston is they may consider trading Rask. With Jones and Subban in net it may just be, and he would be a huge improvement for the Sharks. The Bruins desperately need a scoring winger or two, strictly my opinion is that Couture would have to be involved in any deal for Rask. You know Courure obviously better than I do but I think the Sharks might just have to swallow hard and make that deal. It makes no sense to me for the Bruins to make a Rask deal to anyone unless they are filling their primary need which is someone on the wing who can score. My God they kept throwing Gagne out there last year.

So barring stepping up and going big for Rask, the goalie market seems to have settled and Wilson seems to have struck out. He canot possibly want to have Stalock as his number one next year, can he? 16 million bucks, goalies dealt all over the map and not a single one has come to San Jose.

Wilson said he is probably getting a goalie in trade, not the UFA market. But he might be saying that because he wants to seem non-committal to the UFA goalies to drag the price down. A lot of them suddenly are going to realize SJ is the only team looking to pay a starter.

I doubt they trade Couture for a goalie. Even one like Rask.

Couture is the only sure thing top line center under the age of 30 the Sharks have. Hertl is potential, but could top out at top 6. Tierney's ceiling is supposedly great 2nd line center.

More likely, since they already have Bergeron/Krejci, they want wingers. ELC wingers at that.

Nieto + Goldobin types + our 2016 1st + probably more

Looks like its Martin Jones and i'm not very confident with such an inexperienced guy taking the load like that, he'll have to prove he belongs.

Welcome to the site.   :)

You do have Stalock also who probably will have a better season with a greater amount of playing time.

Looks like its Martin Jones and i'm not very confident with such an inexperienced guy taking the load like that, he'll have to prove he belongs.

Anything looks better than Niemi to me. Defense is so upgraded that I am happy as a clam. No more burish, Hannan, Scott, Irwin.

Some surprising rookies last season. 

Welcome to the site.   :)

You do have Stalock also who probably will have a better season with a greater amount of playing time.

Thanks, ya I hope it could be a good tandem.

Goalies are the most unpredictable aspect of hockey. I have always liked Jones and his AHL numbers show that he can handle a heavy workload but you never know. If he posts Niemi-like numbers, the Sharks should be in good shape.

Let's remember that we haven't had "elite" goaltending since Nabakov, and he was fading towards the end. Give Jones a chance. He can't be any worse than Niemi, who looked awful at times. I expect him to start something like 55-60 games this year.

Darn right.

Welcome by the way.

Shark section here is small, but I do most of my chatting in the main sections :P

Great little family we have on this forum :P

Darn right.

Welcome by the way.

Shark section here is small, but I do most of my chatting in the main sections :P

Great little family we have on this forum :P

Thanks for the welcome!!

You'll probably see me all over the Sharks forum and the rest of the sight. I love some good hockey!!

Goalies are the most unpredictable aspect of hockey. I have always liked Jones and his AHL numbers show that he can handle a heavy workload but you never know. If he posts Niemi-like numbers, the Sharks should be in good shape.

Ya I like Jones, he's only 25 too. He was pretty much wasting his career away in LA being stuck behind Quick. It was only a matter of time until he got his shot at being a #1 and I'm excited the Sharks are the team to give him that shot.

Ya I like Jones, he's only 25 too. He was pretty much wasting his career away in LA being stuck behind Quick. It was only a matter of time until he got his shot at being a #1 and I'm excited the Sharks are the team to give him that shot.

Same. that he faced 9000+ shots for the Monarchs and kept a save % above 92 in 4 seasons in the AHL is inspiring confidence.

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping Jones wins the vezina and Smythe next season :P

5 NHL Goaltenders on the Cusp of Breaking Out

http://thehockeywriters.com/5-nhl-goaltenders-on-the-cusp-of-breaking-out/

Martin-Jones-e1425179795118-300x300.jpg?

Martin Jones

When Quick missed some time with injury during the 2013-14 season, Jones jumped onto the scene with three shutouts in his first six NHL games. The Kings won the first eight starts of his career that season. Jones gave up just eight goals in those first eight games. All told, the 25-year old Jones finished with an extremely impressive .934 save percentage in 18 games his first season.

Last year that number dropped all the way to .906 but outside of back-to-back games allowing six and four goals (one of those games in relief), Jones was solid overall. Takeaway those two games, and Jones posted a .929 save percentage. So one bad start against Montreal, and four goals allowed in relief of Quick against Nashville dropped his percentage from .929 to .906.

Of all the young goalies expected to raise their games this season in bigger roles, Jones has one of the best and most extensive AHL track records. In 158 games at the AHL level Jones turned in a solid .921 save percentage. That type of long term success in the minor leagues should translate to at worst average NHL goaltending. With the Sharks Jones will be once again playing behind a solid defensive group like he did in Los Angeles.

The Sharks struggled in terms of GAA last year, but added top-pair shut-down stud Paul Martin to the top-four that already includes one of the best shut-down defensemen in the world in Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The Sharks will have one of these two defensive studs on the ice for at least 45 minutes per game if not longer. Jones should be solid behind the Sharks defense.

I think this is their best offseason move. And to steal him from a division rivalry.............bravo. They have a tough group to try and beat with the Kings and Ducks...this is a big upgrade over Niemi i think.

5 NHL Goaltenders on the Cusp of Breaking Out

http://thehockeywriters.com/5-nhl-goaltenders-on-the-cusp-of-breaking-out/

Martin-Jones-e1425179795118-300x300.jpg?

Martin Jones

When Quick missed some time with injury during the 2013-14 season, Jones jumped onto the scene with three shutouts in his first six NHL games. The Kings won the first eight starts of his career that season. Jones gave up just eight goals in those first eight games. All told, the 25-year old Jones finished with an extremely impressive .934 save percentage in 18 games his first season.

Last year that number dropped all the way to .906 but outside of back-to-back games allowing six and four goals (one of those games in relief), Jones was solid overall. Takeaway those two games, and Jones posted a .929 save percentage. So one bad start against Montreal, and four goals allowed in relief of Quick against Nashville dropped his percentage from .929 to .906.

Of all the young goalies expected to raise their games this season in bigger roles, Jones has one of the best and most extensive AHL track records. In 158 games at the AHL level Jones turned in a solid .921 save percentage. That type of long term success in the minor leagues should translate to at worst average NHL goaltending. With the Sharks Jones will be once again playing behind a solid defensive group like he did in Los Angeles.

The Sharks struggled in terms of GAA last year, but added top-pair shut-down stud Paul Martin to the top-four that already includes one of the best shut-down defensemen in the world in Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The Sharks will have one of these two defensive studs on the ice for at least 45 minutes per game if not longer. Jones should be solid behind the Sharks defense.

I think this is their best offseason move. And to steal him from a division rivalry.............bravo. They have a tough group to try and beat with the Kings and Ducks...this is a big upgrade over Niemi i think.

Jesus, that is all it takes to blast your save % down that much?

Bryzgalov ? ;) 

I would have taken him over Niemi.

Not even kidding. I hated the Niemi signing from the moment it happened and he was responsible for so many losses and back breaking team deflating goals that I just hated him.

He tracks the puck like ****. He handles the puck like it is a live grenade and usually EVERY TIME, gives it to an opponent. 50% of the time Niemi comes to play the puck, it ended up in the back of our net.

If you shoot high, it is going in. One of the best in the league at stopping low shots. But he is kinda like Pedro Carrano in Major league. knocks every straight pitch out of the park, but throw a curve? Strike 3, you are out. Makes himself small in the net and his blocker side is atrocious. Glove side is just bad.

I remember the season we graphed it.

cpcb8ojqrprcdie0cdbn.jpg

The Sharks scored 7 goals the year the blackhawks swept us. Every single one was 18" off the ice and the goalie should have had it lol. The Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson trio was unbelievable at making sure they forced low shots and protected Niemi.

In any case, the goalie needs to steal a game occasionally. Niemi is incapable of stealing a game. 40 playoff games for the Sharks and ZERO shutouts.

I would have taken any goalie over him just because I was sick of him.

I would have taken him over Niemi.

Not even kidding. I hated the Niemi signing from the moment it happened and he was responsible for so many losses and back breaking team deflating goals that I just hated him.

He tracks the puck like ****. He handles the puck like it is a live grenade and usually EVERY TIME, gives it to an opponent. 50% of the time Niemi comes to play the puck, it ended up in the back of our net.

If you shoot high, it is going in. One of the best in the league at stopping low shots. But he is kinda like Pedro Carrano in Major league. knocks every straight pitch out of the park, but throw a curve? Strike 3, you are out. Makes himself small in the net and his blocker side is atrocious. Glove side is just bad.

I remember the season we graphed it.

cpcb8ojqrprcdie0cdbn.jpg

The Sharks scored 7 goals the year the blackhawks swept us. Every single one was 18" off the ice and the goalie should have had it lol. The Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson trio was unbelievable at making sure they forced low shots and protected Niemi.

In any case, the goalie needs to steal a game occasionally. Niemi is incapable of stealing a game. 40 playoff games for the Sharks and ZERO shutouts.

I would have taken any goalie over him just because I was sick of him.

I don't know about Bryz. He was a product of a great defensive system in Phoenix (I hate the whole "Arizona" name). I don't know that he is a better goalie than Niemi.

That being said, I completely agree with you. Niemi was a terrible signing. I was so excited when we sign Niittymaki and we had Griess. That was going to be a good 1A/1B combo, and then we signed Niemi, and Griess went to Germany and basically felt disowned and skipped town. Niitty kept getting hurt.

Niemi has a terrible time finding the puck, and he pays for it. He had a good postseason with a great defense in Chicago and got a good contract with the Sharks. Then he had one good (short) year. That is his whole career.

Archived