Colton Orr

Guest orange_crush

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384196

We need some toughness, pick up Colton Orr Homer!

Are you Ed Neary or something....The last thing the flyers need is a goon only player. As digity said, and I tend to agree, he would sit right next to Shelley doing the same thing. If you want to add a goon type player, at least make it someone like Sestito who can actually play the game.

No keep them both, 4th line Orr- Rinaldo- Shelley

The NHL Coaches' Association thanks you for your support.

I thnk we can do better on the 4th line than offering the opposing team three pylons to practice skating around.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1111058--brian-burke-troubled-by-state-of-nhl-after-demoting-colton-orr

Brian Burke ‘troubled’ by state of NHL after demoting Colton Orr

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is “troubled” by the way the NHL game is being played when there is no longer a place for a “character” player like tough guy Colton Orr on his roster.

“I have this fear that if we don’t have guys looking after each other that the rats will take this game over,” Burke said Thursday after Orr, 29, cleared waivers. He will now head to the Toronto Marlies.

“That’s my fear. I see guys running around and starting stuff and won’t back it up. It makes me sick to my stomach.”

Burke said there is still room in the game for middleweights such as the Leafs’ Mike Brown, a speedy player who can also fight, but there is less and less accountability on the ice — or respect for players.

“In the old days, players protected themselves and it evolved into a player protecting their teammates and now I’m not sure who is looking after each other, other than Brendan Shanahan,” Burke said. “To me, it’s a dangerous turn in our game.”

Burke, however, isn’t criticizing Shanahan for having to hold “six hearings” every few days.

“He’s got a lot more work than he should have. He needs a telephone receptionist at his house because of all the crap that is going on the ice,” Burke said.

“Guys won’t back it up. They won’t drop their gloves and are running around elbowing people to the head and running people from behind because there is no accountability.

“You never have to answer for that in the game any more. You used to have to answer that in the game. Players used to police the game and now it’s Brendan Shanahan. But I’m not being critical of him. It used to be that if you were going to cheap shot a guy, you had to fight him or fight someone else on his team, who was tougher than him. That seems to be gone. There are no checks and balances. Just elbow a guy in the head or elbow him from behind.

“I’m not sure it’s a healthy evolution where you have a game where guys can cheap shot people and not face retribution.

“I know Greenpeace folks will be happy with this but I wonder where we’re going when Brendan Shanahan gets six hearings every two days and we see the garbage that happened the other night. (Tampa Bay Steve Downie’s exchanges with Dion Phaneuf).”

Burke said he thinks the current game is the best it’s been since the league began but he’s been “disturbed” by what he’s seen over the past few weeks.

“I don’t see accountability or respect in the game right now and that troubles me,” he said. “There are some middleweights, who fight and they’re not the rats and they back up their teammates. Would those guys do those things (elbows to head) if there was retribution or accountability in the game? I’m not so sure.”

When Burke handled leagued discipline, he said the big thing he had to deal with was the stick work.

“We had an epidemic of baseball grip stick swinging and we’ve pretty well taken that out of the game,” he said. “Maybe we can take these (cheap shots) out of the game.”

Burke said he didn’t sleep much the night before last knowing that he had to call Orr and tell him that he was being placed on waivers for reassignment to the Marlies. With speed and pace of today’s game — and a lack of heavyweights, most nights there was just no “dance partner” for Orr, he said.

“My admiration for this kid has no limits,” Burke said. “This is a wonderful young man. Now that he’s cleared we have to get him back to the Marlies. And playing and trying to get his game back and see where he can help us later in the season.

“If there is no dance partner for Colton, it’s pretty hard not to be able to say, well, Darryl Boyce or Joey Crabb, gives us more on any given night. We’ve made the same judgments (as other teams) so I’m not throwing stones as much as saying that I don’t like what is going on.”

But Burke insisted it was too early to talk about Orr retiring or having played his last game in the NHL.

“I’m not ready to say that, not with his character,” Burke said. “We’ll get him down to the Marlies and Dallas Eakins will get his game back…”

Orr has been a healthy scratch for 34 of the 39 games this season. He has a goal in five games and only one major penalty. He is in his eighth NHL season. Orr became a Leaf as a free agent in July 2009. He has another year left on his contract at a salary of $1 million.

http://www.thestar.c...ting-colton-orr

Brian Burke ‘troubled’ by state of NHL after demoting Colton Orr

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is “troubled” by the way the NHL game is being played when there is no longer a place for a “character” player like tough guy Colton Orr on his roster.

“I have this fear that if we don’t have guys looking after each other that the rats will take this game over,” Burke said Thursday after Orr, 29, cleared waivers. He will now head to the Toronto Marlies.

“That’s my fear. I see guys running around and starting stuff and won’t back it up. It makes me sick to my stomach.”

Burke said there is still room in the game for middleweights such as the Leafs’ Mike Brown, a speedy player who can also fight, but there is less and less accountability on the ice — or respect for players.

“In the old days, players protected themselves and it evolved into a player protecting their teammates and now I’m not sure who is looking after each other, other than Brendan Shanahan,” Burke said. “To me, it’s a dangerous turn in our game.”

Burke, however, isn’t criticizing Shanahan for having to hold “six hearings” every few days.

“He’s got a lot more work than he should have. He needs a telephone receptionist at his house because of all the crap that is going on the ice,” Burke said.

“Guys won’t back it up. They won’t drop their gloves and are running around elbowing people to the head and running people from behind because there is no accountability.

“You never have to answer for that in the game any more. You used to have to answer that in the game. Players used to police the game and now it’s Brendan Shanahan. But I’m not being critical of him. It used to be that if you were going to cheap shot a guy, you had to fight him or fight someone else on his team, who was tougher than him. That seems to be gone. There are no checks and balances. Just elbow a guy in the head or elbow him from behind.

“I’m not sure it’s a healthy evolution where you have a game where guys can cheap shot people and not face retribution.

“I know Greenpeace folks will be happy with this but I wonder where we’re going when Brendan Shanahan gets six hearings every two days and we see the garbage that happened the other night. (Tampa Bay Steve Downie’s exchanges with Dion Phaneuf).”

Burke said he thinks the current game is the best it’s been since the league began but he’s been “disturbed” by what he’s seen over the past few weeks.

“I don’t see accountability or respect in the game right now and that troubles me,” he said. “There are some middleweights, who fight and they’re not the rats and they back up their teammates. Would those guys do those things (elbows to head) if there was retribution or accountability in the game? I’m not so sure.”

When Burke handled leagued discipline, he said the big thing he had to deal with was the stick work.

“We had an epidemic of baseball grip stick swinging and we’ve pretty well taken that out of the game,” he said. “Maybe we can take these (cheap shots) out of the game.”

Burke said he didn’t sleep much the night before last knowing that he had to call Orr and tell him that he was being placed on waivers for reassignment to the Marlies. With speed and pace of today’s game — and a lack of heavyweights, most nights there was just no “dance partner” for Orr, he said.

“My admiration for this kid has no limits,” Burke said. “This is a wonderful young man. Now that he’s cleared we have to get him back to the Marlies. And playing and trying to get his game back and see where he can help us later in the season.

“If there is no dance partner for Colton, it’s pretty hard not to be able to say, well, Darryl Boyce or Joey Crabb, gives us more on any given night. We’ve made the same judgments (as other teams) so I’m not throwing stones as much as saying that I don’t like what is going on.”

But Burke insisted it was too early to talk about Orr retiring or having played his last game in the NHL.

“I’m not ready to say that, not with his character,” Burke said. “We’ll get him down to the Marlies and Dallas Eakins will get his game back…”

Orr has been a healthy scratch for 34 of the 39 games this season. He has a goal in five games and only one major penalty. He is in his eighth NHL season. Orr became a Leaf as a free agent in July 2009. He has another year left on his contract at a salary of $1 million.

I agree with Burke, there is no respect in the game anymore and the rats have taking over..eventually the enforcer will come back..