Canes Waive Semin, Intend to Buy Out

radoran

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13174543/alexander-semin-placed-buyout-waivers-carolina-hurricanes

The Carolina Hurricanes have placed winger Alexander Semin on buyout waivers, the team announced Tuesday.

It's an expensive decision for a small-budget team, but Semin wasn't living up to his $7 million salary, scoring only six goals in 57 games last season.

The former 40-goal scorer with the Washington Capitals had three more years left on his deal at $7 million per season. The buyout, which will come once Semin clears waivers on Wednesday, means he'll count $2.33 million per season on the Hurricanes' cap for the next six years.

Semin, 31, will receive $14 million over the next six years as his payout.

Hmmm....if given another chance with a team, Semin is simply going have to step up his game. 

A fine talent, marred with a reputation, many say well earned, of 'dogging it' and being too one dimensional.

It's one thing to be an all offensive player with little mind to back checking (many of those have fine NHL careers), but it is quite another to be seen constantly "floating" around on the ice, seemingly only engaged when the puck is actually on your stick.

That seems to be the category Mr. Semin finds himself in.

I say he has one last chance perhaps with an offense starved NHL team.....otherwise, he will be European league bait or out of hockey entirely in short order.

Think Rutherford will pick him up? He signed him to the original deal.

For the right price? I wouldn't be shocked.  I wouldn't have a problem with Rutherford giving him a deal like he did Erhoff.  1 year. $4,000,000.  A chance to prove yourself and get 1 more multi-year deal after next season before the skills start to decline.  Maybe learn a little defense. With this year's F/A crop?  I'd do that. Low risk. High reward.

Of course, that didn't work out too well for Erhoff.

That's a lot of skill being wasted.

He'd be a nice add in Pgh.  

And i don't mean that in the "he's a sissy" way either, Him and Malkinstein or him and Crosby...that's a lot of skill, those guys would have the puck a lot and create a lot of scoring chances.

Erhoff was hurt too much to really determine if he was a bust or not IMO.  

If the money is right and he lands in Pgh i think that puts them back in the conversation of top team in the east.

I honestly think Semin is done in the NHL. He's a one trick pony and that pony has 3 legs!!!  Enjoy the KHL, cause that is the only way he is employed in hockey. Hmmm....a goal scorer who can no longer score AND is a travesty in his own end....will NEVER take a hit to maintain possession.....BYE BYE!!

For the right price? I wouldn't be shocked.  I wouldn't have a problem with Rutherford giving him a deal like he did Erhoff.  1 year. $4,000,000.  A chance to prove yourself and get 1 more multi-year deal after next season before the skills start to decline.  Maybe learn a little defense. With this year's F/A crop?  I'd do that. Low risk. High reward.

Of course, that didn't work out too well for Erhoff.

It actually wouldn't be bad on a one-year, moderately priced deal like the Flyers did with Jagr a few years back.   The Pens hopefully get a guy trying to resurrect his career at a modest price with very limited risk, and Semin gets to try to prove he can "do it" when surrounded by an actual hockey team.  Semin showed what he could do with someone like Ovechkin.  I think Crosby (or Malkin, but preferably Crosby) would be much better for him.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't hate Hextall if he said, "Okay, here's $2-$2.5M for one year to try to save your career while getting us some offense."   If he played the other side it would be much more of a thought.

I wouldn't hate Hextall if he said, "Okay, here's $2-$2.5M for one year to try to save your career while getting us some offense."   

You'd hate writing those words after his first shift. 

Archived