All-Time Buffalo Sabres Team

ScottM

Sabres-logo-740.png

We move on the the second 1970 expansion team, and what seemed to me to be the easiest team to choose so far: the Buffalo Sabres.

First Line: Rick Martin, Gilbert Perreault, Rene Robert

Second Line: Dave Andreychuk, Pat LaFontaine, Danny Gare

Third Line: Thomas Vanek, Dale Hawerchuk, Alexander Mogilny

Fourth Line: Craig Ramsay, Pierre Turgeon, Jason Pominville

First Defensive Pair: Phil Housley, Jim Schoenfeld

Second Defensive Pair: Mike Ramsey, Jerry Korab

Third Defensive Pair: Alexei Zhitnik, Uwe Krupp

Goaltenders: Dominik Hasek, Ryan Miller, Tom Barrasso

Coach: Floyd Smith

One thing that I found particularly impressive about the Sabres was the number of forwards they've had that were truly strong on the defensive side of the puck. Some of those guys made the team, and some didn't, but if you look at two guys and wonder why they're in the order they are after looking at their points totals, that's probably why. That kind of decision tended to be the tougher type in this one, as, like I said, all in all this one felt easier.

1st line:Miller, Miller, Miller, 

2nd line:Miller, Miller, Miller

3rd line:Miller, Miller, Miller

4th line:Miller, Miller, Miller

1st pairing Miller, Miller

2nd Miller, Miller

3rd Miller, Miller

Goalie Hasek

1st line:Miller, Miller, Miller,

2nd line:Miller, Miller, Miller

3rd line:Miller, Miller, Miller

4th line:Miller, Miller, Miller

1st pairing Miller, Miller

2nd Miller, Miller

3rd Miller, Miller

Goalie Hasek

Ha! :)

Sorry @ScottM ,   That was a pretty good list as is.

Actually, I'm not so sure anymore... @flyercanuck has me thinking I should have given Ryan Miller another couple of spots, although Gilbert Perreault certainly should have been on the defense somewhere on that list.

Well this was posted by a non Sabres fan but I still say you did a pretty good job.  I would take Donnie Edwards over Barrasso all day.  And I would have to have Height ( I think I got the spelling wrong) on the second defensive lineup all day long.  Ahead of all listed.  Jay McKee I would also put in there.  One might consider Peca over Hawerchuk, I would.  As Hawershuck had his best years in Winnipeg and is remembered more as a Jet.  First line is a no brainer and I agree its the French Connection easily.  I also would take Rick Dudley over Turgeon

I don't know about Edwards vs. Barrasso.   Barrasso was awfully good when he first came up.  Oddly, he was actually better on the Sabres than on the Penguins, but it's his time on the Pens that he'll be remembered for.  Edwards obviously had some very nice years, too. I think it's close so I'll default to the Sabres' fan.  Especially since it was way before Centre Ice and you would have seen way more of them than I possibly could.

By the way, I just looked at Barrasso's 1984-85 numbers because I remembered them being outstanding. They were, but wow...he led the league with a 2.66 GAA (would have been just ahead of 32nd this year) and Pelle Lindbergh was second in SV PCT with .899 (which would probably get you waived today).   Completely different sport between then and now, huh?

I think Peca is a good argument.  But just as an aside and from an outsider's point of view, I immediately think Sabres when I think Hawerchuk.   I would have had to look it up after someone said Jets (I did just now).  That's not my way of arguing the point, just a comment that I found the difference of perspective interesting.

If you're putting on McKee and Height (I have no problem with this), who are you taking off?  Zhitnik and Krupp?  Or is someone put on that list way too high?

Lastly, Dudley was good.  But Turgeon is one of the first people I think of when I think Sabres (whcih is odd because he really did end up being all over the place)  Probably because his time with the Sabres was my senior year in high school to my year after college.  Probably just remember that era more.   I'm not sure based on stats or longevity I put Dudley on any best list.  Was there something about him watching him that puts him on that list rather than just lifeless stats?  Just curious.

You are right on with the defensive replacements.  That is exactly how I see it.  And I saw Dudley play with Gare on a regular basis, helped eliminate a monster of a Canadiens team the series before we lost the finals to Philly.   Dudley like Martin, did not have a long enough career.   Nor did Orr for that matter.  Hawerchuk was already close to retiring when he wen to Buffalo and I never really considered him a Sabre historically.  More Winnipeg as I also view Lafontaine equally an Islander as a Sabre.  I would put Bob Sauve ahead of Barasso also.  No way are Zhitnik or Krupp as good as Height or McKee.  Though Alexai was good for some time.  Don Luce could also be mentioned.   The best penalty killers ever were Craig Ramsey and Pommenville.

I meant Luce as a center of course.  He was not a d man.  

Yeah, I'm pretty on board with all of that.  I thought @scottm 's list was pretty good for a non-Buffalo fan.  But I can get onboard with your alterations.  I also agree on Lafontaine.  I think I think Ranger first but closely followed by Buffalo  (actually, I think I think Team USA first).

lol @hf101  Barnaby.  hahaha

Archived