Martin St. Louis hangs up the skates

yave1964

mAt22CEJkva4QMS0lTXE3tw.jpgMarty St. Louis could not find a home with a cup contender and decided to call it a career, hanging up his jersey and skates for the last time. “I have been blessed to play for 16 years in the NHL; it has been an amazing ride."

Overall, he had 1,033 points in 1,134 games, winning the Art Ross as the League’s top scorer in 2004 and 2013, and the both the Hart Trophy and Pearson Trophy (now the Ted Lindsay) for NHL MVP and NHLPA player of the year, respectively. He also collected the Lady Byng Trophy three times (2010, 2011, 2013) for his gentlemanly play, and won Olympic godl in Sochi.

Is he a Hall of Famer? Statistically, St. Louis didn’t hit 1,100 points or 400 goals, which are commonplace benchmarks. He finished with 391 goals. 

I think he is a HOFer, I listed this under the Lightning section because I will always think of him as a Bolt. A guy who got every bit out of his talent.

I'll reiterate here what I posted in the previous MSL Retirement thread:

As per NHL.com, among other sources:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773696&navid=nhl:topheads

I know MSL wanted one more ring to add to his 2004 one, but the man can truly retire with no regrets IMO.

Apparently, despite his physical fitness, his heart and mind were not with grinding through another season....at least, it appears that way judging by his commentary.

Personal and family life centered around his 3 sons seem to be the focus now.

Thank you Marty....despite some cement headed Tampa Bay fans dropping some hate on you because of the way you left, THIS fan realizes the good you did for the Tampa Bay organization.

You helped make them relevant, you put them on the playoff map, and help usher in future stars such as VLC, Brad Richards, Dan Boyle, Victor Hedman, and Steve Stamkos

Even though you started your NHL career a Calgary Flame and ended it a New York Ranger, your most significant legacy will be as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and you will always be a Bolt to me!

HOF worthy?

I think so.

Wishing him luck and happiness with his family.....

His goal song when he put the biscuit in the basket in Tampa Bay:

And yes, @yave1964 , MSL simply personified heart and determination.

People get tired of the small skilled players coming up always being compared to MSL, but there is a REASON they do so.

Most teams would be absolutely ecstatic if any of their players put out half the effort that this man has for 16+ years.

I was hoping he signed with Montreal, and finished his career close to his home.  

He's a really nice person, from a really nice family.  His Dad started working in the mills as a child.  Did whatever he had to do, to provide for his family.  Marty has the character to appreciate that effort.  I've witnessed the kindness of Marty and his Dad toward young players.

Martin St. Louis should be in the HOF.   His numbers and deeds are proof that he belongs.

I'm so glad he hung them up before he tarnished his legacy...very nice to see this awesome competitor retire on his own, rather than be shown the door!

I think it's easier for him because he did win a cup. One hell of a career and one of the key players who kicked in the door to the NHL for the small skilled forward. 

I think it's easier for him because he did win a cup. One hell of a career and one of the key players who kicked in the door to the NHL for the small skilled forward.

Oh my God you stole my line! Too cool!!!

• 1 month later...

Despite what many believe, I think he could have had a twilight career similar to that of Jagr's. He played exceptionally well coming into his 30s, and was a work horse. He was still 2nd in scoring on the NYR last year.

HHOF no doubt in my mind, He possesses hardware some hall of fame players do not have. His overall career stats do not look as impressive as some of the great compliers out there that most would consider borderline Hall of famers, That being said, he was not fortunate enough to play in a high scoring era such as the early 90s and 80s in which he was able to pad his stats from. Also the fact that he was quite the late bloomer, all those play primarily in how his stats ended up being as it is.

Archived