The Richards and Voynov situation and why we should be furious with Dean Lombardi.

Sjsharknado

Incorrect.  The player and the NHL have  binding contracts as directed by the CBA which both players and the league (owners) agreed upon the content.  I suggest you take a look at it.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

I will rephrase: Any employment contract that includes a "morality clause" (covering behaviour occuring outside of work that does not impact work performance in any way) should be void ab initio.

The legal system handles all criminal problems. Allowing a corporation to act as the legal system regarding its employees is a gross overstepping of their bounds in my opinion.   :mellow:

We had a guy up here (Canada) get fired from his job at the bank for saying an FHRITP on the air, which got posted on YouTube. Was it immature? Sure. Did it have anything to do with his work? No. Is such a comment grounds for termination when it occurs during private time? No.

What's next? A player gets caught on video calling a reporter "gay", someone posts it on YouTube, and then the player's guaranteed contact is void for a hate crime? You can see the slippery slope here I hope. This is going to be used as an excuse for EVERYTHING going forward, and might just be the NHL's next primary lockout issue.

I don't really think the employer here is acting as a legal system -- trial / jury / jail time. But what they do decide is whether a person has broken an employment contract and is worthy to continue.  Why should an employer have to keep an employee who's poor decisions negatively impact a company's image?    Being employed is a privilege not a right.  

Those of us without contracts are even more at risk as one's job can be made redundant for most any reason.  For example look at the number of people who have posted something on facebook which cost them their jobs.

I get your opinion, but in today's world company's of all sorts live by the attitude "you can be replaced".  So when it comes to a company's image, removing employees with legal issues are their easy decisions.

• 1 month later...

@OccamsRazor H AHA HAHAHAH ....just posted this in another mikey thread.....LMFAO!! 2031....we might be dead before the Kings finish paying for this!!

Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds will have finished their NHL careers and retired while the Kings are still paying for the Richards trade!

Well done Homer, I guess you where a genius after all.

Archived