Kesler Inks 6-year Deal

klindsey

Nearly 7 million a year for 6 years....for KESLER??laff.gif

I won't deny he deserved the 5 million dollar contract when he scored 40 goals and 70+ points and won a Selke. Nobody will.

But this man has been on a slow but sure downhill slide the past few years. He only scores around 20 goals and 45 points now and is no longer the beast of defense he once was.

Another example of a guy getting a contract that will be an albatross to his team probably past the halfway point of the term.

That said, to me, this is the Ducks saying "We are going to win NOW....and we deal with the consequences if and when they come later".

Giving the current core of the team, winning now is the way to go.

Anaheim pretty much going all in and hoping to grab a Cup or three before guys like Kesler, Getzlaf, Perry, Cogliano, Bieksa, and Stoner (all players 27-34) begin to show their age and their contracts become lead weights.

What this means to OTHER "win now" teams in the West is, "Look out for Anaheim...they will anything and EVERYTHING it takes to get their Cup this year and next."

Chicago, Los Angeles, San Jose, St. Louis, even Nashville and Minnesota....if you guys think you have what it takes to win now, you best make sure you stack up against the Ducks....losing is NOT an option for them as they make last ditch efforts to win with their current core.

@flyercanuck

First let me say that I love Kesler and what he brings to the table, a warrior with intensity on every shift who never quits. I used to marvel at his play with the Buckeyes (back when Umberger was the star of the team and I think five or six of the players made the NHL) and thought he was a lock for the NHL. Early in his career with the Canucks he showed promise and he peaked at 75 and 73 points in 2010 and 2011.

Since then his offensive game has eroded, three full seasons he has been in the 40s for points scored, but the additional things he brings to the table, P/K ability, plays tough minutes, he truly may be the best number two center in hockey when you add up everything he does for his team. He could play for me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But his creaky back needs to be factored in too. And he turns 32 before the start of the year.

Could he play for me any time? God yes. At 7 million a year? God no. and six years to boot. Ugh.

@flyercanuck

First let me say that I love Kesler and what he brings to the table, a warrior with intensity on every shift who never quits. I used to marvel at his play with the Buckeyes (back when Umberger was the star of the team and I think five or six of the players made the NHL) and thought he was a lock for the NHL. Early in his career with the Canucks he showed promise and he peaked at 75 and 73 points in 2010 and 2011.

Since then his offensive game has eroded, three full seasons he has been in the 40s for points scored, but the additional things he brings to the table, P/K ability, plays tough minutes, he truly may be the best number two center in hockey when you add up everything he does for his team. He could play for me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But his creaky back needs to be factored in too. And he turns 32 before the start of the year.

Could he play for me any time? God yes. At 7 million a year? God no. and six years to boot. Ugh.

Agree with you 100%. I'm not knocking Keslers play, he's very good at what he does. That contract is bad and will just turn horrible. 

Hey,saw Athanasiou here in town last week. He was up here for some charity work....good on him for not forgetting his roots.

Agree with everyone else: too much, too long.

This contract is a reward for his playoff performance. He was the best player for them against the Jets for sure. They may not even win that series without him. 

I love the player, but not the contract.

I wonder if some of the GMs have look into the future of the next couple of years, and wondered if the cap won't go down? I know that's my own belief. The Canadian dollar is at 77 cents, and with about 35% of league revenues being generated here, and with Sportsnet's TV deal being paid to the NHL in Canadian dollars (down from 94 cents when the deal was made) it seems like the cap can only go down.

The Canadian dollar is at 77 cents, and with about 35% of league revenues being generated here, and with Sportsnet's TV deal being paid to the NHL in Canadian dollars (down from 94 cents when the deal was made) it seems like the cap can only go down.

There is a chance that oil prices recover and the Canadian dollar returns to the petrostatus it had when this deal was made.

An issue is that OPEC has been pumping out huge quantities to depress the price on the open market to stifle competition like Canadian Tar Sands and Marcellus Shale Gas and The West hasn't really complained in this short term because it hurts Russia.

If OPEC tightens those spigots, the Canadian dollar will start going up again.

There is a chance that oil prices recover and the Canadian dollar returns to the petrostatus it had when this deal was made.

An issue is that OPEC has been pumping out huge quantities to depress the price on the open market to stifle competition like Canadian Tar Sands and Marcellus Shale Gas and The West hasn't really complained in this short term because it hurts Russia.

Can't see it happening soon.

The Saudis are driving this. Their Oil Minster Ali al-Naimi has said repeatedly said that they will not cut production. Never. Or until every single higher cost competitor is gone, which ever comes first. His comments from 6 months ago say it all: "Whether it goes down to $20, $40, $50, $60, it is irrelevant," he said. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30585538

An issue is that OPEC has been pumping out huge quantities to depress the price on the open market to stifle competition like Canadian Tar Sands and Marcellus Shale Gas and The West hasn't really complained in this short term because it hurts Russia.

Oh, the dollar absolutely could go back up. I'm not suggesting doom and gloom here. But, right now, it's definitely hurting the NHL, with one Governor telling the Globe and Mail that the TV deal came in a little more than $73M less than the $433M deal signed. When this happens, the cap can only go down, and carrying an old and declining player at almost $7M AAV doesn't help a team's cause.

I've just been reading through these comments. I'm totally new to the salary cap, contracts, etc. with the NHL, so I had no clue they overpaid ha. Seeing Kesler on the ice, watching him play, he was/is great IMO. That is a long contract for a 32-year old definitely. I do think the Ducks are in win now mode with their core and that had some effect. 

I've just been reading through these comments. I'm totally new to the salary cap, contracts, etc. with the NHL, so I had no clue they overpaid ha. Seeing Kesler on the ice, watching him play, he was/is great IMO. That is a long contract for a 32-year old definitely. I do think the Ducks are in win now mode with their core and that had some effect.

Welcome to the forum!

1 six year contract for a 32 year old with a shaky injury history whose offensive skills have slipped from 70 PPG down to 45 for 3 years in a row now, as much as I love Kesler it is more than a bit risky. The guy sure can play but his age makes this contract scary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could they dump him a few years in and not take as much of a hit? You'll have to excuse me, as I'm thinking like some teams do in the NFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could they dump him a few years in and not take as much of a hit? You'll have to excuse me, as I'm thinking like some teams do in the NFL.

No, contracts are guaranteed in the NHL. If they sign it, they have to honour it or find another sucker to take it.

No, contracts are guaranteed in the NHL. If they sign it, they have to honour it or find another sucker to take it.

CRAP CRAP CRAP. Yea. That's not a good contract.....

Just my theory, but it's NOT the length of the contract, it's the length when the new CBA comes due. Everybody...esp the GM's all know there will be a get out jail card waiting for them after the next lockout....if history tells us anything.

Just my theory, but it's NOT the length of the contract, it's the length when the new CBA comes due. Everybody...esp the GM's all know there will be a get out jail card waiting for them after the next lockout....if history tells us anything.

Interesting idea, but it still but won't be more than two or three seasons before Kesler is delivering far lower than the freight calls for, and Anaheim's looking at a pricey buyout or trade & retain. As it is $7M is steep for his services right now.

Keslers contract expires before the CBA does.  2023 is when the next compliance buyouts  lockout is scheduled.

Keslers contract expires before the CBA does.  2023 is when the next compliance buyouts  lockout is scheduled.

Really, I somehow had the year 2019 in my mind. Wow, that is a LONG ways off!! Basically, a contract would have to be longer than 8 years to reach the get out jail free card.....it will come into play in the next few years, but I don't see many 8 year contracts on the horizen.

I don't think the money is to over the top for Kesler.

Probably a couple years to long though but time will tell on that.

I think some on here would be defending this contract if Kesler had signed it with their favourite team.

I don't think the money is to over the top for Kesler.

Probably a couple years to long though but time will tell on that.

I think some on here would be defending this contract if Kesler had signed it with their favourite team.

The money is fair for both sides, and in a few short years, it should even become somewhat of a bargain....but, alas, it *is* to long by a few years, and that is where it should start to hurt the Ducks. Kesler does play a physical brand of hockey, so who knows....maybe he puts in 4 good years and goes on LTIR for the last few years, stranger things have happened.

@

I think most Flyer fans on here realize (finally) that when you sign someone longterm, you actually have to look down the road instead of just at the present. Holmgrens idiotic signings almost all backfired. 

Kesler may not be grossly overpaid now, but he plays a style of game than doesn't usually translate to long careers. His offensive game is already sliding. 

Archived