Patrick Kane being investigated by police

Samifan

@Samifan

I think if you're regularly hanging out at Mickey Rat’s Beach Club in upstate New York, you're probably looking to get into hairy situations. Kane should adopt a more wholesome lifestyle and hang out at a place like, say, Applebee's. Try the halibut, but be on the look out for a beat up Lumina with a wonky transmission. :ph34r:

Post of the yr! Christ that is good stuff

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/862130/stanley-cup-patrick-kanes-hometown-party-low-key

If a planned trip to bring the cup to an area children's hospital had to be cancelled because of this pending investigation into Partying Pat, the least the NHL could do is have a league rep take it there for a few hours.

@Samifan

@murraycraven

@Podein25

While they are doing an investigation they need to look into what Kris Versteeg and Jason Demers and whomever else this was in this video was on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ApYcjRIcnc

http://m.thn.com/blog/watch-kris-versteeg-jason-demers-team-up-for-bizarre-hilarious-dance-at-devin-setoguchis-wedding/

WTF!

....no way they were sober that is for sure.......

@Samifan

@murraycraven

@Podein25

While they are doing an investigation they need to look into what Kris Versteeg and Jason Demers and whomever else this was in this video was on...

http://m.thn.com/blog/watch-kris-versteeg-jason-demers-team-up-for-bizarre-hilarious-dance-at-devin-setoguchis-wedding/

WTF!

....no way they were sober that is for sure.......

How mortifying

Patrick Kane removed from NHL 16 cover by EA, was supposed to be Toews and Kane together on the cover.. now it will only be Toews. Is this premature considered the investigation is ongoing? and does anyone know what will happen with Kane if he is found to be guilty..I mean would his career be over? surely the NHL wouldn't survive the heat of employing a convicted rapist. Very sad story if it happens to be true, major blow to USA Hockey too.

http://www.tsn.ca/ea-removes-kane-from-nhl-16-cover-1.344663

@92WickedHockey

With NHL 16 coming out before any investigation results EA sports had to make the change on it's cover.  

I don't think anyone knows what will happen at this point.  Interesting though there is very little speculation out there by bloggers.  

Considering also the Voynov situation it will surely be interesting what the NHL decides to do.

Well, assumedly, if he's found guilty of rape, he'll go to jail. Chicago would then terminate his contract for failure to perform. I don't know what would happen after he's released.

Here's my two cents:

Kane continues to put himself in situations where he cannot keep himself out of trouble. The trouble does not follow Patrick, he seems to go out of his way to find it. One of the more disturbing ideas that this case seems to involve is that the entire Buffalo area has something to do with this. For example, you have the bar owner trying to blame the "victim" by saying she was hanging all over him in the bar. The only reason I use quotes around victim is that the woman the bar owner pointed out was not the victim at all. The victim is a friend of the woman the bar owner mentioned and only went with her friend to keep her safe. Second, I read a report earlier today claiming that the Buffalo Police Lieutenant chauffeured the party back to Kane's house (http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/hamburg/off-duty-officer-was-kanes-driver-on-night-of-alleged-rape-20150815).

You would think that having the police lieutenant around would keep you out of trouble.

The sad part is, I do not see this playing out as it should. When asked about domestic violence and sexual assault cases in hockey and their punishments, Gary Bettman responded by saying

"That's something we've been doing with the Players' Association for more than a decade. We as a league have more than enough authority and mechanisms to punish, if necessary, in the appropriate case. Fortunately we haven't seen too many. But more importantly we focus on counseling and education, and in the joint programs we have with the Players' Association we've been counseling and educating on domestic violence for more than a decade, I don't remember the exact date. The security department does it in their annual meetings with each team, and the behavioral counselors from the substance abuse, behavioral health program also counsel and educate the players on those and many other issues. So I'm not sure for us there is any need for any code of conduct other than our players, who overwhelming conduct themselves magnificently off the ice -- we deal with it on a case by case basis. I don't think we need to formalize anything more. Our players know what's right and wrong, and as I said, we have the mechanisms in place to hopefully not get to that point."

I think there is something to be said about that last part. Why would you just assume that you will never need a code of conduct? Isn't it better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it? And just because most players act with class doesn't mean all of them will.

I'll end with this. I've read reactions from people that say we should separate Kane's actions off the ice from what he does on the ice and this is what I have to say to that.

That night, Patrick Kane was celebrating his team's accomplishment. The day after the story broke, Kane was scheduled to have his day with the cup.

Jean Beliveau has lifted that cup. Gordie Howe has lifted that cup. Wayne Gretzky has lifted that cup. These are all class acts who loved the game, but more importantly, they respected the game.

As far as I am concerned, Patrick Kane does not respect hockey. Kane makes an insane amount of money to play a game. This game. And on more than one occasion, Kane has made his social life a distraction from the game. Kane has consistently chosen his selfish behavior over hockey and the heritage the game holds. There is no way he can care about this game. If he did care, he'd cut the crap and start acting like a gentleman instead of a frat boy on spring break.

Bobby Hull wore that sweater. Stan Mikita wore that sweater. Denis Savard wore that sweater. Little kids wear that sweater. Act like you care.

Think about this. If Patrick Kane is found guilty, the NHL allowed a rapist to spend his day with the cup while his victim was left to pick up the pieces. That's disgusting.

Well said ihabs!!

As I mentioned in another thread, Kane is worshipped here in WNY and its both amazing and disgusting to see how Buffalonians are attacking the victim. Kane has been a grade A douchebag since he made it big, probably his entire life. Because of the allegations, a public trip with the cup to an area kids hospital had to be cancelled. So kids with battling serious illness missed a chance and a few hours of joy because Kane was drunk and may or may not have committed what IMO is the second worse type of crime outside of sexual assault on a child. Shame on the Bettman and the league. They should have sent an NHL official to take the cup to that hospital. Hell, Scotty Bowman lives in the area and had the cup the day before he could have taken it to the kids but the league did nothing!

Maybe Bettman should have cancelled his vacation with Crosby and gone to Buffalo himself to do the right thing.

Kane continues to put himself in situations where he cannot keep himself out of trouble. The trouble does not follow Patrick, he seems to go out of his way to find it.

By doing what?  Going out to a bar and taking a girl home after?  That in and of itself is not news and it's hardly going "out of your way" to find trouble.  It's something a countless number of professional athletes have done.  I'm sure it's not the first time Kane's done it either.  He's young, single and rich.  It's the offseason.  What one of us wouldn't be trying to get laid at every opportunity?  And how is that selfish? As long as he does not let this lifestyle get in the way of his hockey career it's a non-issue and up until now, it hasn't.  Now if these allegations turn out to be true? Entirely different ball game. If it turns out he's guilty he should be punished accordingly.  If not, this shouldn't end up as a "black mark" on the guy's reputation.  Unfortunately it will as in today's world an accusation is enough to prove guilt.  

I think there is something to be said about that last part. Why would you just assume that you will never need a code of conduct? Isn't it better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it? And just because most players act with class doesn't mean all of them will.

I/M/H/O - the only purpose a Code of Conduct serves is for a league to have something in writing that they can point to when it comes time to discipline a player.  They can point to Section Whatever; Clause Whatever of the "Code" and say "this is the rule your broke." But needing it as far as keeping players in line?  If a player is going to get into trouble he is going to do it regardless of whether or not there is a Code of Conduct.  If a player is going to be a "class act" the same rationale applies.  Beliveau, Howe, Mikita, Savard...they didn't need a Code of Conduct to be classy.

@flyercanuck (accidentally) made a good point.  How many fans knew/know that Bobby Hull was a habitual wife abuser?  Back when he was playing I'll guess not many.  Now?  Maybe a few more.  Do you think Bobby Hull is getting away with that in today's social media-driven new world? Not a chance. Ask Ray Rice.

The best example ever (by far) of a professional athlete who was "less than perfect" (understatement of the year) was Mickey Mantle. The Mick drank like a fish during the season. He was a well-know womanizer.  If (big if) Kane is found not guilty, the Mick's lifestyle will make him look like a saint.  And no one ever accused the Mick of not respecting the game of baseball.

Patrick Kane may be a punk but unless he's found guilty of sexual assault he's done nothing that a lot of athletes haven't done already. A lot of "class acts" and "revered" players.  He just did it in the wrong era. 

The best example ever (by far) of a professional athlete who was "less than perfect" (understatement of the year) was Mickey Mantle. The Mick drank like a fish during the season. He was a well-know womanizer. If (big if) Kane is found not guilty, the Mick's lifestyle will make him look like a saint. And no one ever accused the Mick of not respecting the game of baseball.

I think you can maybe put George Herman Ruth slightly above The Mick in that regard.

"I'll promise to go easier on drinking and to get to bed earlier, but not for you, fifty thousand dollars, or two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars will I give up women. They're too much fun."

One of my favorite Philly signs was when Bonds came to Citizens Bank Park and fans had signs reading "RUTH DID IT WITH HOT DOGS AND BEER"

I think you can maybe put George Herman Ruth slightly above The Mick in that regard.

"I'll promise to go easier on drinking and to get to bed earlier, but not for you, fifty thousand dollars, or two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars will I give up women. They're too much fun."

One of my favorite Philly signs was when Bonds came to Citizens Bank Park and fans had signs reading "RUTH DID IT WITH HOT DOGS AND BEER"

Mea culpa.  How could I forget the Babe?  It's close though.  

I remember that sign....one of the best!

By doing what? Going out to a bar and taking a girl home after? That in and of itself is not news and it's hardly going "out of your way" to find trouble.

This is a big deal when he allegedly rapes the girl that only went to protect her friend. And he is going out of his way to find trouble because he has a hideous problem with alcohol. Remember a few years ago when he got drunk with his cousin and pummeled a cab driver? Why does he keep doing this? That's why he's going out of his way. Stay off the sauce, Patrick. Simple as that.

If a player is going to be a "class act" the same rationale applies. Beliveau, Howe, Mikita, Savard...they didn't need a Code of Conduct to be classy.

But that's absurd. Think of it this way. I have never crashed my motorcycle so I definitely do not need a helmet. You didn't need one, but the second you go face first into the back of an 18 wheeler, you need a helmet. Unfortunately, now it is too late. The league needs to learn from the NFL. Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson got off because the league had no protocol to punish them and by law were not allowed to. Watch the same thing happen to Kane all because we don't need it. We do need it. It should have been in place when Beliveau was around. He never needed it, but what if someone else did? It's silly oversights like this that drive me bonkers. Of course 99% of the league will never be prosecuted for rape or sexual assault. That goes without saying. But when guys like Kane and Ribeiro and Voynov do this sort of thing, it would be nice to see them punished for their behavior accordingly.

Think about this. PK Subban is notoriously the most hated player in the league. Yet Mike Ribiero settled out of court on a case regarding sexual assault of a nanny; and Slava Voynov and Semyon Varlamov both beat their spouses; and Patrick Kane beats cab drivers in fits of drunken rage and now may or may not have raped a woman while intoxicated.

Yet we forget all of this stuff because it is convenient. It's convenient for fans to forget all of these things, but god forbid PK embellishes a call in a game. Kane and Ribeiro and Voynov and Varlamov act like douchebags in real life. Do you know what PK Subban does in real life? He drives home from dinner, sees a couple of kids playing ball hockey in the street, and decides to join them (this is a real story, look it up. It's pretty awesome).

Yet HE is a bad guy. Not the rapist. Or the wife beater. The guy who goes out of his way to make some kids' day is the villain. And that's where the real problem lies with hockey fans. You get so caught up with the rivalries on the ice that you tune out how bad some players are off the ice.

This is a big deal when he allegedly rapes the girl that only went to protect her friend. And he is going out of his way to find trouble because he has a hideous problem with alcohol. Remember a few years ago when he got drunk with his cousin and pummeled a cab driver? Why does he keep doing this? That's why he's going out of his way. Stay off the sauce, Patrick. Simple as that.

It's a big deal if he actually did it.  Not if he allegedly did it. What are you basing this problem with alcohol on? Because of something that happened six years ago?  I'm sure he's partied hard in prior off seasons. Any arrests then? Incidents?  Must be affecting his play. His team has only won 3 Cups during that time while he's been among the most elite players in the league.  So until he's actually found guilty (and if he is he deserves to be punished) he hasn't "kept doing anything".

But that's absurd. Think of it this way. I have never crashed my motorcycle so I definitely do not need a helmet. You didn't need one, but the second you go face first into the back of an 18 wheeler, you need a helmet. Unfortunately, now it is too late. The league needs to learn from the NFL. Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson got off because the league had no protocol to punish them and by law were not allowed to. Watch the same thing happen to Kane all because we don't need it. We do need it. It should have been in place when Beliveau was around. He never needed it, but what if someone else did? It's silly oversights like this that drive me bonkers. Of course 99% of the league will never be prosecuted for rape or sexual assault. That goes without saying. But when guys like Kane and Ribeiro and Voynov do this sort of thing, it would be nice to see them punished for their behavior accordingly.

Hey - I'm not saying it's not needed.  But it's not needed as a means of prevention.  

As for Ray Rice....the NFL suspended him for 2 games.  The Ravens fired him. He hasn't played since. Peterson was suspended as well ( I can't recall how long but remember it being too short).  I understand that the league cannot punish players for incidents like this but I doubt implementing a Code of Conduct will prevent similar incidents either.

Yet we forget all of this stuff because it is convenient. It's convenient for fans to forget all of these things, but god forbid PK embellishes a call in a game. Kane and Ribeiro and Voynov and Varlamov act like douchebags in real life. Do you know what PK Subban does in real life? He drives home from dinner, sees a couple of kids playing ball hockey in the street, and decides to join them (this is a real story, look it up. It's pretty awesome).

Welcome to my world (see: Crosby, Sidney).  Where I disagree is your thoughts on Ribeiro, Voynov, Varlamov, et al. Hockey fans don't forget things like that.  But the fact of the matter is that sometimes good people do bad things.  As time goes by, if those players you mentioned keep their shite together, whatever they did does become more and more....irrelevant?  People remember PK diving because PK is always diving. 

Yet HE is a bad guy. Not the rapist. Or the wife beater. The guy who goes out of his way to make some kids' day is the villain. And that's where the real problem lies with hockey fans. You get so caught up with the rivalries on the ice that you tune out how bad some players are off the ice.

I think you are letting your angst over PK get the best of you here.  I haven't seen anything comparing PK diving to the likes of Varlymov, Ribiero, etc.  

@flyercanuck

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-20-most-hated-nhl-players/?view=all

Subban is #3 here

@B21

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2013/02/07/the-list-nhls-most-hated-players

Subban is #1 here and Ribeiro is actually below him

So yeah, I guess I'm making this up. :rolleyes:

The Sportster?  Whatever that is has him at 3, which isn't the most hated man in hockey. 

SI, that's where I go for my hockey info :rolleyes: ... doesn't even have Matt Cooke in their top ten....great list.

No James Neal on either list? Those lists are two guys opinions. One works for SI who don't give a crap abut hockey.

Here's a recent discussion on the most popular hockey board on the planet. Subban gets mentioned 6 times in 9 pages. Two of those mentions are Hab fans questioning the choice...one is another guy explaining his diving, but not picking him as a hated player, and a 4th is a Bruins fan. So reality has 2 guys in 9 pages picking him. If that's most hated in your opinion.... 

@flyercanuck

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-20-most-hated-nhl-players/?view=all

Subban is #3 here

@B21

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2013/02/07/the-list-nhls-most-hated-players

Subban is #1 here and Ribeiro is actually below him

So yeah, I guess I'm making this up. :rolleyes:

Seriously - how much people hate PK has nothing to do with Kane.  Nothing at all.  

The Sportster?  Whatever that is has him at 3, which isn't the most hated man in hockey. 

SI, that's where I go for my hockey info :rolleyes: ... doesn't even have Matt Cooke in their top ten....great list.

No James Neal on either list? Those lists are two guys opinions. One works for SI who don't give a crap abut hockey.

Here's a recent discussion on the most popular hockey board on the planet. Subban gets mentioned 6 times in 9 pages. Two of those mentions are Hab fans questioning the choice...one is another guy explaining his diving, but not picking him as a hated player, and a 4th is a Bruins fan. So reality has 2 guys in 9 pages picking him. If that's most hated in your opinion.... 

Seriously - how much people hate PK has nothing to do with Kane.  Nothing at all.  

So I show you a list where he is the most hated player, and you say he's not. That's fine. It's an opinion. Let's move away from Subban. What about the other Kane? Evander Kane. He takes a picture of himself with money and people BLAST him. Patrick Kane punches a cab driver in face, and we move on and even embrace his "life style" while making it into comedy and calling him a legend or a beauty. I am not saying that you specifically do this, just a section of hockey fans. It is enough for this to be considered a systemic problem.

Right now, there are 7 twitter accounts making light of Patrick Kane's alcoholic tendencies. The top account has over 90K followers. Maybe this means nothing to you. Maybe you don't get it. That's fine. I just think hockey has a major problem with demonizing players for minor on or off ice activities such as diving or wearing a track suit to practice but when a guy gets drunk and punches a man in the face in a disagreement over pocket change, we think it's hilarious and create these alter egos accounts.

Again, I understand that this statement does not apply to all hockey fans, but it is obviously enough to be considered concerning.

I just think it's time that we start to ask tough questions about the lifestyle hockey players embrace. Why does Patrick Kane get to move on from his acts of drunken rage too easily, but Subban will be branded as a diver for the rest of his life? That's all.

Archived