Colorado Avalanche/Nordiques greatest player ever (poll)

yave1964

Greatest Avalanche/Nordique player ever  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Avalanche/Nordique greatest player ever?

• Joe Sakic
    • Peter Forsberg
    • Patrick Roy
    • Milan Hejduk
    • Peter Stastny
    • Michel Goulet

In keeping with the leagues  m3iP4cJjyjWA88yDmMuXbwA.jpgtransferance of records to the new city I will include the best of the Nords with the Av's in this category. Your nominees are:

MICHEL GOULET: Second all time in organization history with 456 goals and third in points with 945, the pride of Paribonka Quebec was a three time forst team alls tar and twice made the second team. He appeared in 5 all star games.

PATRICK ROY: Only spent 8 years with the Av's but has a stranglehold on all goalie records, nearly triple the wins (262) of his next closest goalie, his boyhood idol Dan Bouchard. 5 all star games with Colorado, 2 Stanley Cups, a conn Smythe, a first team all star appearance. Simply one of the greatest of all time still at the top of his game til the very end.

JOEmE0_UV1KTi5cmhGrQJHM8Dg.jpg SAKIC: ON A very strong list of individual talent he simply runs away with most categories including the biggies, 1378 games, 625 goals, 1016 assists and 1641 points are hockey royalty numbers. 13 all star games, a Smythe, a Hart as the leagues best player, a Lady Bing, and three times a first team all star dot his career. Truly an all timegreat who spent his entire career with one organization.

PETERmsNnbSZFTK3FtgNk1ExWLNw.jpg FORSBERG: As great as he was a what if is always attached to him due to helath. In only 591 games with the Avs/Nords he scored an insane 538 assists and 755 points. a five time all star, he won a Hart of his own and the Calder trophy as well. Three time first team all star.

PETER STASTNY: The best of the Stastny brothers for the longest time, a monster scorer, in only 737 games he put up 1048 points, or a point and a half a game. He won the Calder the year he defected and appeared in six all star games, he was an offensive wizard who deserves to be remembered.

MILAN HEJDUK: Hard to leave off the list, top five in every single category of note in team history, including 375 goals and 805 points. Spent his 14 year career in Colorado, led the league in goals scored once, was a second team all star once as well.

NOTABLES LEFT OFF THE LIST for one reason or another were Adam Foote who was arguably the best defenseman in club history, Claude Freakin' Lemieux who was a post season god but his time in colorado was relatively short and maybe another Stastny. I feel this list is probably an easy one, Sakic easily dominates the field with the real question perhaps being who is the second best player in team history?

WHO AM I? m_ieisif9NJgW9m6Gq4m0SQ.jpg No that is not Sir Patrick but another goalie of the era who actually had 13 shut outs among his 89 wins for Colorado.

Unsurprised that it seems to be a race between Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy.   I went with Sakic but would absolutely entertain arguments for the other two.

The others were pretty special players as well.

Joe Sakic, and in my personal opinion, I dont find it particularly close. He has the longevity Forsberg lacked, and it's not like Forsberg was evidently better during his peak, in actuality, it can be reasonably argued for Sakic being more impressive at his peak.

I went with Sakic, although an argument could be made for Roy too.

I believe the mystery man in net is David Aebischer.

That is indeed Mr. Aebisher. good job again sir.

@JagerMeister

We had spoken before about the obvious ones instead of best player in team history posting 'who is the second best in team history' but this one is a big reason I dont think I will be doing that except maybe edmonton and possibly Pittsburgh.

Sakic IMHO based off overall career length and being one of a handful of players to score 600 goals and 1000 assists with one team would be a lock for this but people see it different. Votes for Forsberg and Roy have stunned me. If you double the output that forsberg put up in a Colorado sweater it still falls short of what Sakic did. So to you, and to me it is a no brainer that Sakic is the man here others feel different, sam e as Dionne with the Kings or Hasek with the Sabres, both of whom I felt would be unamimous but both teams had a lot of support for other players. So i will continue with the current format.

Joe for me....but I did have to pause because of Roy's greatness. No arguing Forsberg's immense skill, but believe it or not, I think Forsberg and Stasney are pretty close. Playing for the Nords for full decade and getting over 100 pts in 8 of those years....different era, but damn, Stasney was awesome, really....one of the most overlooked underrated stars out there in my books.

That is indeed Mr. Aebisher. good job again sir.

@JagerMeister

We had spoken before about the obvious ones instead of best player in team history posting 'who is the second best in team history' but this one is a big reason I dont think I will be doing that except maybe edmonton and possibly Pittsburgh.

Sakic IMHO based off overall career length and being one of a handful of players to score 600 goals and 1000 assists with one team would be a lock for this but people see it different. Votes for Forsberg and Roy have stunned me. If you double the output that forsberg put up in a Colorado sweater it still falls short of what Sakic did. So to you, and to me it is a no brainer that Sakic is the man here others feel different, sam e as Dionne with the Kings or Hasek with the Sabres, both of whom I felt would be unamimous but both teams had a lot of support for other players. So i will continue with the current format.

Yeah, I can definitely see the reasoning in picking Forsberg and Roy over Sakic and Dionne over Gretzky and there are a few more cases like these for the other teams. Also, I was specifically reffering to Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Boston and Detroit about that conversation you mentioned.

But at the same time, we both know that we are right about Sakic ;)

:ph34r:

Joe for me....but I did have to pause because of Roy's greatness. No arguing Forsberg's immense skill, but believe it or not, I think Forsberg and Stasney are pretty close. Playing for the Nords for full decade and getting over 100 pts in 8 of those years....different era, but damn, Stasney was awesome, really....one of the most overlooked underrated stars out there in my books.

I surprisingly believe the same thoughts on Forsberg and Stastny as well. Stastny makes it close from the sheer productivity of offense he produced for many years. Unfortunately, he was overshadowed by Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy( And I doubt Forsberg would take home any hardware as well playing against them), the main reason for him being one of the most overlooked superstars in the history of hockey.

Sakic is unquestionably* the best player for the franchise in franchise history.

Forsberg and Roy may rank higher on "who is the better player" but I can't see how anyone believes either are better as a player for the franchise than Sakic.

* IMHO, of course

@yave1964 Joe Sakic was Mr. Avalanche. The only other guy on the list that could compete with that side of it is Peter Stastny since he was the face of the 80s Nordiques. I think he's underrated too.

But at the same time, we both know that we are right about Sakic

No doubt.  Sakic has opened up an appropriately big lead here.   I understand a vote for Roy more than Forsberg, but I can see the latter on a heavily Flyers' board due to sentimentality.    

@jammer2   Yeah, Statsny should be considered in the same conversation as Forsberg.   The only separation (and @JagerMeister won't like this) is Cups.  

No doubt.  Sakic has opened up an appropriately big lead here.   I understand a vote for Roy more than Forsberg, but I can see the latter on a heavily Flyers' board due to sentimentality.    

@jammer2   Yeah, Statsny should be considered in the same conversation as Forsberg.   The only separation (and @JagerMeister won't like this) is Cups.  

Stastny was an offensive powerhouse. He and his brothers were a Godsend for Quebec. They went from bottom feeders to contenders quickly. I'd take Stastny over Forsberg because he played at a high level for longer and didn't have the injury issues. That's even with taking into account that he lost a few years from being born on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.

@radoran

:D Ok, then Mr Playoff Clutch himself.

maybe those Aves fans will remember some of these by Peter the Great

or  in 2002 - Despite not playing at all in the regular season, Forsberg led all NHL scorers with 27 points in 20 postseason games.

Series-clinching goal, 1999 Western semifinals - Forsberg scored the late third-period goal that sealed Colorado’s series-clinching win over the two-time defending Cup champion Red Wings.

and if you want to watch a few more highlights...

I don't remember which edition it was, but one of the NHL video games had a story that was told during games that Forsberg played in. When he was a kid, his team lost a game 8-7, and he was inconsolable, and his father tried to cheer him up.

Father: "How many goals did your team score?"

Forsberg: "Seven."

Father: "How many goals did you score?"

I don't remember which edition it was, but one of the NHL video games had a story that was told during games that Forsberg played in. When he was a kid, his team lost a game 8-7, and he was inconsolable, and his father tried to cheer him up.

Father: "How many goals did your team score?"

Father: "How many goals did you score?"

The most ferocious player of the dead puck era. He had a competitive level that was unmatched by any other player of his generation.

I loved Sakic and loathe Roy, as a player and as a person. That said, this was a tough one for me. I went with Roy because I think Roy is if not the absolute best, among the top 3 goalies all-time.

I loved Sakic and loathe Roy, as a player and as a person. That said, this was a tough one for me. I went with Roy because I think Roy is if not the absolute best, among the top 3 goalies all-time.

No argument that Roy is one of the greatest goalies in the history of the game, but the final eight years of his career were all that he had with the Av's. If you asked who had the most valuable career as good as Sakic was I would go with Roy. But the fact that Sakic spent his entire career in Colorado versus 40 percent or so for Roy, I have to give the nod to Sakic.

Archived