Colorado Avalanche/Nordiques greatest player ever (poll)

yave1964

Greatest Avalanche/Nordique player ever  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Avalanche/Nordique greatest player ever?

• Joe Sakic
    • Peter Forsberg
    • Patrick Roy
    • Milan Hejduk
    • Peter Stastny
    • Michel Goulet

Stastny was an offensive powerhouse. He and his brothers were a Godsend for Quebec. They went from bottom feeders to contenders quickly. I'd take Stastny over Forsberg because he played at a high level for longer and didn't have the injury issues. That's even with taking into account that he lost a few years from being born on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.

Just read in Metzler's blog today, the Flyers drafted Peter Stasney first....I had no idea. Apparently, the NHL ruled the pick illegal, because in those days, you had to be 20 years old to get drafted and Peter was younger than the cut off age/date. He then went back into the next draft where the Nords picked him 86th overall. Philly wanted him so badly, they paid this guy 20 grand down to get him over here, with the promise of 300,000 if he signed with the Flyers. The guy failed, took the 20 grand and ran....then the Nords struck....never knew all of this, came as a total surprise.

In keeping with the leagues  m3iP4cJjyjWA88yDmMuXbwA.jpgtransferance of records to the new city I will include the best of the Nords with the Av's in this category. Your nominees are:

MICHEL GOULET: Second all time in organization history with 456 goals and third in points with 945, the pride of Paribonka Quebec was a three time forst team alls tar and twice made the second team. He appeared in 5 all star games.

PATRICK ROY: Only spent 8 years with the Av's but has a stranglehold on all goalie records, nearly triple the wins (262) of his next closest goalie, his boyhood idol Dan Bouchard. 5 all star games with Colorado, 2 Stanley Cups, a conn Smythe, a first team all star appearance. Simply one of the greatest of all time still at the top of his game til the very end.

JOEmE0_UV1KTi5cmhGrQJHM8Dg.jpg SAKIC: ON A very strong list of individual talent he simply runs away with most categories including the biggies, 1378 games, 625 goals, 1016 assists and 1641 points are hockey royalty numbers. 13 all star games, a Smythe, a Hart as the leagues best player, a Lady Bing, and three times a first team all star dot his career. Truly an all timegreat who spent his entire career with one organization.

PETERmsNnbSZFTK3FtgNk1ExWLNw.jpg FORSBERG: As great as he was a what if is always attached to him due to helath. In only 591 games with the Avs/Nords he scored an insane 538 assists and 755 points. a five time all star, he won a Hart of his own and the Calder trophy as well. Three time first team all star.

PETER STASTNY: The best of the Stastny brothers for the longest time, a monster scorer, in only 737 games he put up 1048 points, or a point and a half a game. He won the Calder the year he defected and appeared in six all star games, he was an offensive wizard who deserves to be remembered.

MILAN HEJDUK: Hard to leave off the list, top five in every single category of note in team history, including 375 goals and 805 points. Spent his 14 year career in Colorado, led the league in goals scored once, was a second team all star once as well.

NOTABLES LEFT OFF THE LIST for one reason or another were Adam Foote who was arguably the best defenseman in club history, Claude Freakin' Lemieux who was a post season god but his time in colorado was relatively short and maybe another Stastny. I feel this list is probably an easy one, Sakic easily dominates the field with the real question perhaps being who is the second best player in team history?

WHO AM I? m_ieisif9NJgW9m6Gq4m0SQ.jpg No that is not Sir Patrick but another goalie of the era who actually had 13 shut outs among his 89 wins for Colorado.

This is a tough quiz... It is hard to vote when only 2 of the players on that list played for both Colorado and Quebec.. So I have to say Joe, because he is Super Joe... although Forsberg was amazing, has his injuries not been what they were... He could have become so much more!..... But since only two played it was down to those two in my eyes and Joe wins... 

Archived