Award Re-Vote: 2013 Hart Trophy

ScottM

Who should have won the 2013 Hart Trophy?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have won the 2013 Hart Trophy?

• Alex Ovechkin
    • Sidney Crosby

hi-res-87213824_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=4

I thought I'd start a new series of threads that I think could be fun. These posts will deal with some of the closer/more controversial award wins in NHL history and put them to a re-vote. I thought the Hart Trophy would be an appropriate place to start, and the most recent close vote we had was in 2013. That year, Alex Ovechkin won the trophy by a razor thin margin, while runner-up Sidney Crosby took home the Pearson, splitting the season's MVP trophies.

Stats

Ovechkin: 32 goals, 24 assists, 56 points, 36 PIM in 48 games, +2 +/- rating; median team +/- (minimum 24 games played): 0

Crosby: 15 goals, 41 assists, 56 points, 16 PIM in 36 games, +26 +/- rating; median team +/- (minimum 24 games played): +5

Synopsis

Crosby's PPG average was higher, but Ovechkin's goal total was over twice that of Crosby. In fact, Ovi's 32 goals and 16 power play goals led the league. The two tied for third place in the Art Ross Trophy race, behind Martin St. Louis and Steven Stamkos. Crosby's +/- rating was the league's third best, and he was well above his team's median rating, while Ovechkin's was only slightly above his team's.

There you have the facts. Who would you give the award to?

Patrick Kane. 23 Goals, 55 points, +11, 3gwg on the President's Trophy winner.

I don't think I could have given my vote to Kane. Stats wise, I find Crosby more impressive, and I think that Ovi was more valuable to his team. As much as the Blackhawks would have hurt without Kane, I think the Caps would have been even deeper without Ovi. That's just my two cents though.

I give the award to Ovechkin as he had 2 x the number of goals scored.

That's a big one to me too. Even if Crosby had played every game, at the pace he was scoring goals that year, he still would have ended up with only 20. That's obviously still way behind Ovi. I think the vote was rightly close, but the goal scoring numbers are hard to overlook since they represent such a direct contribution to the team. The closest comparison I can think of right now is Brett Hull's 86 goal season in 1990-91. He was well behind Gretzky in points, but the huge goals lead tipped the race to him.

Archived