Ryan Clowe may have to retire from hockey

JR Ewing

New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe has not committed to making another comeback from head trauma and likely will retire at some point this year, general manager Ray Shero said.

"The last time he played was, what, Nov. 6? That's been a long time," Shero told NJ.com on Thursday. "Training camp is next month, so at some point, in terms of how he is feeling, a determination has to be made by him and doctors as to what direction he can or cannot go."

Clowe has had four concussions in the past two seasons. The most recent was Nov. 6, when he was hit in the head by David Backes of the St. Louis Blues. The 32-year-old has three years and $14.55 million remaining on a contract he signed with the Devils on July 5, 2013.

Shero said he and Clowe have spoken about what will happen next.

"Those are the conversations we had over the last couple of weeks,” Shero said. "From Ryane's standpoint, it's more medical with the doctors."

Clowe had one goal, four points and four penalty minutes in 13 games with the Devils last season. In 491 regular-season games with the Devils, New York Rangers and San Jose Sharks, he has 112 goals, 309 points and 618 penalty minutes. He has 18 goals, 46 points and 97 penalty minutes in 70 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776921&navid=nhl:topheads

It's sad, but he Clowe may need to retire in order to protect his long term health from this point on.

Choosing to retire would be the wisest option for Clowe. Its not worth possibly digging yourself an early grave over.

Why would Clowe choose to retire and lose out on 4.85M for each of the next 3 seasons. ??  That isn't chump change.  

I think the Devils are hoping Clowe will retire so they don't have to pay him the contract he signed.

The CBA really needs to be adjusted here for teams and the players who are not healthy enough to complete their contracts.   

@JR Ewing

Isn't that what LTIR is for?  The Devils can't force him to retire w/r of injury.

Oh, I think you're absolutely right. I presented it as more of a "look at the state of Ryan Clowe's health" than that of the state of his contract, but I think you're dead on. I'm sure that Shero would like this problem to go away, but Clowe should not have to walk away from a contract that he signed or the money that comes with it.

Why would Clowe choose to retire and lose out on 4.85M for each of the next 3 seasons. ??  That isn't chump change.  

I think the Devils are hoping Clowe will retire so they don't have to pay him the contract he signed.

The CBA really needs to be adjusted here for teams and the players who are not healthy enough to complete their contracts.   

Your point is valid, might as well take that money...

How do you adjust it?

It's already been shown that teams will exploit any loophole to circumvent the cap.

How does such an adjustment not simply create loopholes?

Yes no way he walks away from that...unless he is truly concussed....

[/quote,

How do you adjust it?

It's already been shown that teams will exploit any loophole to circumvent the cap.

How does such an adjustment not simply create loopholes?

For one I don't have all the solutions, but I have some ideas.

Here is a scenario I think could work for teams of injured players who will never play another NHL game..

If a player spent 2 years on LTIR without playing one game I think the player should be paid in full for the remainder of their contract via team-insurance-or combination of both.  Said player must retire from playing in NHL with no possible return to playing.  After 2 years of LTIR the cap hit is removed from said team.

I think 2 years is long enough a team should have to deal with a LTIR situation that affects their ability to put a quality team on the ice.  Basically all teams are committed to these 7-10M  long term contracts of their superstars, it isn't their fault if a such a player suffers a career ending injury and can't play again.  Teams should be able to move forward w/r to the other team members and fans of said team.

I'd also change the number of years a player can sign a contract after the age of 30 to no more than 3 year deals and contracts signed over the age of 35 be limited to 1 year contracts.  Free agents under the age of 30 can sign a maximum of 5 year deals.

Here is a scenario I think could work for teams of injured players who will never play another NHL game..

If a player spent 2 years on LTIR without playing one game I think the player should be paid in full for the remainder of their contract via team-insurance-or combination of both.  Said player must retire from playing in NHL with no possible return to playing.  After 2 years of LTIR the cap hit is removed from said team.

I think 2 years is long enough a team should have to deal with a LTIR situation that affects their ability to put a quality team on the ice.  Basically all teams are committed to these 7-10M  long term contracts of their superstars, it isn't their fault if a such a player suffers a career ending injury and can't play again.  Teams should be able to move forward w/r to the other team members and fans of said team.

I'd also change the number of years a player can sign a contract after the age of 30 to no more than 3 year deals and contracts signed over the age of 35 be limited to 1 year contracts.  Free agents under the age of 30 can sign a maximum of 5 year deals.

Sorry but I can't agree with this.

We have supposedly the smartest minds in hockey running these teams, and if they can't figure out all on their own that there is a risk to signing any player long term regardless of the players age then I say to bad for the team. 

These GM's making these ridiculous deals with ridiculous lengths of time attached should have themselves and their clubs on the hook for the length of the contract.

There shouldn't have to be a rule in place to protect these dumb greed driven contracts, hold the GM's and clubs accountable and make them pay the price for sheer stupidity.

No one has or is holding a gun to GMs heads that get stuck in these positions , other than the GM their self  playing Russian roulette with their clubs future.

Their big boys and need to make reasonable decisions about contract amounts and lengths and shouldn't be rewarded with an escape clause for their own narrow minded bad decision making. 

Frig that.

Let these dumb teams hamstring themselves. I am loving how buggered the kings are. Richards(His contract will be staying. Sorry Lombardi), Brown(Haha).

Always hated the way he played and chirped the refs. Such a crybaby that I always thought he should have played with the Ducks with Selanne, Perry and Getzlaf. Nobody excepting a Shark fan could have ever liked the guy. kind of a West coast version of Marchand.

To me the LTIR is a joke, this from a Wings fan who is hoping the Wings can use it this year with the Mule. But it is a rule and out there, hell Pronger was traded, so was Nathan Horton. Something needs to be done to tweak the system but it is in place and New Jersey will soon forget him and simply bury his contract.

Always hated the way he played and chirped the refs. Such a crybaby that I always thought he should have played with the Ducks with Selanne, Perry and Getzlaf. Nobody excepting a Shark fan could have ever liked the guy. kind of a West coast version of Marchand.

To me the LTIR is a joke, this from a Wings fan who is hoping the Wings can use it this year with the Mule. But it is a rule and out there, hell Pronger was traded, so was Nathan Horton. Something needs to be done to tweak the system but it is in place and New Jersey will soon forget him and simply bury his contract.

Until they try to trade his contract and get nailed for violating the "spirit of the CBA" again.

I've always really liked Clowe. It's too bad his career is probably going to end this way.

It's just a joke that Pronger, years away from possible "retirement" is now a Coyote. What are the odds he chooses to go into the HOF ceremony as a Yote?

Now THAT would be funny!

Archived