All time greatest san Jose Shark player

yave1964

All time best Shark  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest ever San Jose Shark?

• Joe Thornton
    • Patrick Marleau
    • Owen Nolan
    • Evgeni Nabokov

mZlQ2ghUFcpl66uRQslHznA.jpg(Mike Ricci)

Short list of candidates for the all time greatest player in San Jose history:

JUMBO JOEmM91gucVzS1fYUDIzX1bwSg.jpg THORNTON: Came over from the Bruins for a bag of beans and has had a brilliant career with the Sharks, first all time in assists (616) and second in points with 805. First team all star once, second team twice won the Hart trophy in 2006 after leading the league in scoring. Six time all star.

PATRICK MARLEAU: ALMOST DOUBLE the amount of games as the next guy on the list, exactly double (456) the amount of goals as the number two guy on the list, a monstrously large margin. Leader in points (988) three time all star.

OWENmUJkJK5VAhrvg1o2kp_XCKA.jpg NOLAN: 4th all time in scoring in team history, had between 25 and 43 goals every year that he played for the team. 4 time all star.

EVGENI NABOKOV: An amazing career with the Sharks, he apeared in 563 games and won 293 for San Jose, nearly double the next closest goalie. He has 50 career shutouts also. He led the league in wins in 2008 and had three straight years of 40 plus wins. First team all star once, also won the Calder.

WHO AM I?mdvShRiAJVsYcb4G8sYOIFA.jpg

Nasty bit of work is the all time leader in Penalty Minutes for the Sharks.

I was just stunned to find out the Sharks had any good players.

I went with Owen Nolan.  I forget the goalie, but the goalie was stoning people in the 3rd period of the All-star game (I know, all-star game).   Nolad skated across the blue line, POINTED where he was shooting it, and beat the goalie clean.  It was pretty funny but also pretty cool.

That's enough for me.

(Honestly, all things considered, it has to go to Marleau, but I'll stick with my Nolan vote).

Thornton, and it is not even close.

Owen Nolan was a good player, but he is behind both Thornton and Marleau.

Marleau has been a Shark for 17 years and has 988 points.

Thornton has been a Shark for 10 years and has 805 points.

Marleau's best season was 86 points. Thornton's best season was 126 points. Thornton has in fact had 5 seasons as a Shark with a better output than Marleau's single best season.

Went with Marleau because he leads the team in every category most by a ridiculous margin. Thornton for his peak years but Marleau simply has a stranglehold on nearly every number. He may be a compiler but he compiled some great numbers.

Arturs IIIIIIRBE!

:D

You know I still hate the little punk, in 1994 Federov had his greatest year the Wings were a machine and Irbe stuck it up our rear in a seven game series. I got so tired of hearing about his pads being the same pads since he was a kid blah blah friggin blah. Yeah we stuck it to him in 2002 with Carolina but 1994 was supposed to be our year. It took another three seasons for it to all come together because of Arturs friggin Irbe.

Thanks TFG now my blood pressure is up, lol.

You know I still hate the little punk, in 1994 Federov had his greatest year the Wings were a machine and Irbe stuck it up our rear in a seven game series. I got so tired of hearing about his pads being the same pads since he was a kid blah blah friggin blah. Yeah we stuck it to him in 2002 with Carolina but 1994 was supposed to be our year. It took another three seasons for it to all come together because of Arturs friggin Irbe.

LOL...you know, I realize Irbe is more of a cult hero than an actual all time great, but I must confess, seeing as how you started this thread, and Irbe was known to be held in very high contempt amongsts long time Wings fans...I simply could NOT resist.

Your response is classic, good stuff!  :D

Went with Marleau because he leads the team in every category most by a ridiculous margin. Thornton for his peak years but Marleau simply has a stranglehold on nearly every number. He may be a compiler but he compiled some great numbers.

I don't think he has a stranglehold on points. I suspect he will retire a few years before Jumbo and Jumbo may catch it.

That, and he only has under 200 points a lead and played 7 more seasons as a Shark. Testament to how good Thornton is.

I dunno. Bowman had a lot of negative things to say about just about everyone but Fedorov on why they lost to the sharks. Team loved run and gun too much at the time.

Joe Thornton and this should not even be debatable. Pretty sure he is the only sharks forward to win any notable accolades based on playing ability, has  been one of the greatest playmakers of his generation, and will undoubtedly go down as one of the greatest playmakers of all time. How anyone can choose any other player over him as the greatest shark player of all time is just defying logic...

I changed my vote. I put Nolan mostly as a goof, but since it's not even close, I switched to Marleau.

My real problem picking greatest here is that both Pat and Joe come up smaller and smaller when the pressure is on.

The terminology in these poll questions is "greatest," not "best." Small semantic difference but "best" is simply "who was better." in that discussion, maybe begrudgingly Joe.

Greatness (before you can be greatest)? I don't think any of them qualify. But I guess I lean toward Marleau as closest in relation to the Sharks just due to longevity, totals, being in just one team and being there for most of that franchise's existence.

I changed my vote. I put Nolan mostly as a goof, but since it's not even close, I switched to Marleau.

My real problem picking greatest here is that both Pat and Joe come up smaller and smaller when the pressure is on.

The terminology in these poll questions is "greatest," not "best." Small semantic difference but "best" is simply "who was better." in that discussion, maybe begrudgingly Joe.

Greatness (before you can be greatest)? I don't think any of them qualify. But I guess I lean toward Marleau as closest in relation to the Sharks just due to longevity, totals, being in just one team and being there for most of that franchise's existence.

My problem with that is Effectively, that is like rating Kevin Lowe as a better Oiler than Gretzky because he was there 5 more years than Gretzky.

Thornton may only have 10 years to Marleau's 17, but the gap between them in performance is huge to the tune that 2 more prime years from Thornton erases Marleau's point lead.

Thornton has finished 1st in assists three times, 2nd twice and 3rd once in that span, as well as being top 10 in assists 9 of 10 seasons. That is a powerful 10 seasons for the sharks over Marleau's quiet compiling facing lower competition when on different lines until recent years and being buffed when with Joe on the same line.

And when it comes down to it, Joe has simply been better at elevating his teammates and carrying the team. Turning goldenrod to gold.

Ryane Clowe was a guy expected to be an enforcer on the 4th line before Thornton got ahold of him and trained him on how to properly use his size. Cheechoo was a good scorer who hit ridiculous goal totals with Jumbo. Setoguchi is, well, Setoguchi. But the only time he has done squat has been winger for Joe. Pavelski was a star already, but became a superstar With Jumbo.

There were years where Thornton scored nearly 100 points where the next best Shark player had like 50 points.

And when it comes down to it, Joe has simply been better at elevating his teammates and carrying the team. Turning goldenrod to gold

Except, of course, at money time.   But we're comparing to Marleau, so that's admittedly a wash.

Funny, you mention Kevin Lowe to Gretzky.  That's not really an honest comparison, though.    If Kevin Lowe had much higher numbers overall than Gretzky, then maybe.  But even in +/- he's dwarfed.   That's really not a Thornton/Marleau comparison.  The reason it's funny you mention it, though, is I was specifically thinking of another thread about Dionne vs. Gretzky.  Same issue, kind of, in that Dionne was there much longer but individual seasons vs. individual seasons (or even "pick Dionne's best 7 vs. Gretzky's") then you get an argument for Gretzky.

I went with Dionne in that debate, so it's arguably consistent (right or wrong) for me to go Marleau here.   Is that fair, or is that apples/oranges too?

• 1 month later...

Greatest player up to 2015-16: Joe Thornton. Marleau has been good offensively, but Thornton is simply better. Nabakov was a good goalie for a good number of years, but he was never the best goalie in the league in my opinion, while Thornton has a few years in the upper echelon of the league. Runner up: Patrick Marleau, the franchise leader in goals.

Best player of 2015-26: Joe Pavelski. He has the scoring ability, he plays at both ends of the ice, and he is the hardest working player on the roster. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he has done for the team in the last two years, and he definitely deserved to go to the All-Star Game over Brent Burns. Runner up: Logan Couture, who will lead the team in assists for the first time in his career.

Best player after 2015-26: Chris Tierney. It's scary to think that the Sharks have three of the best playmaking centers in the league. I know Tierney struggled early last year, and he probably won't reach 35 points this year, but he is the reincarnation of Joe Thornton, and he has the benefit of learning for the man himself. Tierney sees the ice incredibly well, and his passing skill is tremendous. He could be setting up Tomas Hertl for years to come. Runner up: Jeremy Roy, who should be wearing #22.

Archived