Richards Charged...

JackStraw

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lombardi has stated publicly that his greatest mistake as the Kings GM was not using a compliance buyout on Richards. Too late now. Hard to believe that a player of such obvious skill fell so hard so fast.

+1 on "wow." Those are some strong words form Lombardi, basically saying Richards's word was worthless. So not just a comment on his play, but o his character. Can't help his chances of finding a new team.

It's hard to understand how Richie could be so completely over the hill at just 30. At this point I'm just hoping he doesn't become a post-career tragedy story in some way or another. I can't help thinking there are other factors at play here...personal, chemical, psychological...something? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Dean Lombardi said giving Mike Richards a 2nd chance could be worst decision he ever made.

http://www.tsn.ca/lombardi-burned-by-second-chance-1.320414

"I met with him. He promised that he'd do it. And when a guy looks you in the eye and promises, to me, that goes beyond loyalty," Lombardi told the Los Angeles Times before last season. "A guy's giving you his word. That's more important than a contract or anything else."
Lombardi was burned. He felt Richards' contribution was so middling that it was worth saddling all but $925,000 of Richards' $5.75 million cap hit just to have him play in the AHL.

"It could be the worst decision I ever made," Lombardi told ESPN.com last month. "But for all the right reasons. In a cap world, you can't have any heart and soul. I struggle with that."

Richards had (and proved) he had everything to be a champion at all levels.

He was, at the top of his game, my favorite player. 

The problem with Richards is his lack of ability to keep competing after having the success.

He won the cup (2x's) and everything else.  He has enough money to live for the rest of his life. 

He just doesn't have the drive any more.  

I can't say I wouldn't do the same...

The problem with Richards is his lack of ability to keep competing after having the success.

Which, to me, highlights the folly of these long term deals. Give a guy $50M in guaranteed money and is his drive going to be the same?

Which, to me, highlights the folly of these long term deals. Give a guy $50M in guaranteed money and is his drive going to be the same?

But if you don't give those contracts, you arguably don't get the 'best' guys.

Catch 34.5  ....

But if you don't give those contracts, you arguably don't get the 'best' guys.

Catch 34.5  ....

And then you don't have to buy out the "best" guys...

He will be on the Kings cap until 2025.  Let that sink in.  

It's an academic exercise at this point because those sort of contracts aren't available any more.

And we lost half a season of hockey so that the owners could force the players to not allow them to offer those sorts of contracts any more.

#progress

I asked in the shoutbox but I'll repeat the question here:

Per TSN:

"The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team’s right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player’s Contract.  We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time.”

Is this "material breach/terminate" language different than a buyout?  

wow just goes to show how far loyalty gets you in the business world .

Dean should have simply said "sorry Mike, we're buying you out , good luck" while they still had the amnesty period...instead he let his decency get in the way and Ritchie ****ed him over but good. 

That's a lot of money left on the table, too bad about whatever happened to Richards from the time he was considered a character guy until now.  who takes a chance on him ?  I wouldn't   

Wow, terminating a entire contract for failing to follow clubs rules on training and conduct?

Hey Hexy are you watching. VLC and Umberger must have violated some team policy on fitness or conduct ;)

Yipes. Yes, ugly. On the bright side, nobody will care about Pronger anymore.

ha, you wouldn't be speaking of another team attempting cap circumvention would you?

I don't really want to go down that road, Sami. It's bad precedent for the league if a team can pump up some "training and conduct violations" and terminate any bad contract they have.

However, you could say Umberger failed to disclose an injury, and VLC misrepresented himself as a "hockey player."

I jest. But this opens up a huge can of worms around the league.

And Bettman would be the arbiter if Richards challenges this.

VLC and Umberger must have violated some team policy on fitness or conduct

One might consider not reporting an injury as a possible invocation of this clause... If so, this could really, really shake up the whole league.

NHLPA is definitely going to weigh in on this, as well as a boatload of lawyers on both sides.

Newport Sports is gonna go after their cut of the $22M still on the books, no doubt.

I don't really want to go down that road, Sami. It's bad precedent for the league if a team can pump up some "training and conduct violations" and terminate any bad contract they have.

However, you could say Umberger failed to disclose an injury, and VLC misrepresented himself as a "hockey player."

I jest. But this opens up a huge can of worms around the league.

And Bettman would be the arbiter if Richards challenges this.

Is Bettman the binding arbiter on this situation under the CBA?

Regardless, I see lawyers all over this for the next few years...

Archived