Most Despicable Hockey Player Of All Time (On/Off The Ice)

JagerMeister

This is a great topic, JagerMeister. Cosmonaut Ilya Bryzgalov (though part of the dislike of him is the fault of Flyer management and ownership). He was never real popular with his teammates, either.

The first player (term used lightly) that came to mind was Billy Tibbetts.   Then I saw categories.  So I'll keep him as "off the ice."

On the ice:   Sean Avery

Combined:  I don't know.  I'm going to go Billy Tibbetts just because he was such a horrible human being off the ice that it's enough to win the combined.

@JR Ewing

After reading through your google doc, the NHL seems an awful lot like a certain church. When there is a shitty allegation, the accused is traded to take the heat away. If half of the stories are true, there are some really crappy people out there. 

Hmm.... 9 posts in and no mention of Matt Cooke, Brad Marchand, or Darcy Tucker??

Ahhh, but the thread is still young.....    ;)

LOL

I liked Cooke for the most part.   For me, none of them reach the Sean Avery level but Tucker is close.

@ruxpin

Avery was a douchebag who made a mockery of the game...he would have fit in better in another sport...Cooke thought nothing of trying to intentionally hurt players. Tucker was just a sideshow who fed off Leaf fans enthusiasm because they had nothing better to cheer for. 

Meh, as much as I hate Barnaby, I don't think of him when the word despicable is thrown out there. I think Tibbetts takes the cake, but there are more than a few players who have acted despicably. Tucker was a dirty SOB. Domi was a joke late in his career. Matt Cooke deserves a mention. Patrick Roy was not a good guy off the ice. Slava Voynov should probably get a nod here, too. Marty McSorley. Todd Bertuzzi. And prepare for the heresy: Bob Clarke for the slash.

Meh, as much as I hate Barnaby, I don't think of him when the word despicable is thrown out there. I think Tibbetts takes the cake, but there are more than a few players who have acted despicably. Tucker was a dirty SOB. Domi was a joke late in his career. Matt Cooke deserves a mention. Patrick Roy was not a good guy off the ice. Slava Voynov should probably get a nod here, too. Marty McSorley. Todd Bertuzzi. And prepare for the heresy: Bob Clarke for the slash.

Well, Barnaby does have a number of off-ice things going on, but, yeah, I do think of him more as a wrestling "heel" than a despicable person.

I thought Barnaby was a douche.  But really, he was a douche that I wouldn't have minded on my team.  Avery, for me, is on a different level.  

@AJgoal mentioned McSorley and Bertuzzi.  I hadn't thought of them on my own, but both definitely deserve at least honorable mention for on ice.  I think I stay with Avery, but they are both really good calls.  

Voynov for off-ice is also a very good nomination.   I went with Tibbets and will stick with that, but given the stature of the player, Voynov might actually be a better pick.

I know I've told this story before, but..

Ulf Samuelson was attending his first pre-season with the Rangers after a winter trade. At the same camp was a young kid named Shane Willis. Ulfie had nothing to prove. He was an established top defenseman. Willis was trying to win a job, either with Rangers or in the AHL.

In a scrimmage, Willis was facing the glass, trying to dig the puck out. Samuelson ran him. Put his weight into an elbow to the back of Willis's head. Willis was seriously injured. Spent some time in the hospital. Cost him his chance for that year.

It was an act of pure meanness. Samuelson had nothing to gain, and Willis had everything to lose.

So, when people complain about Domi, my mind goes back to that sight of Shane Willis with a puddle of blood around his head.

Domi gets a pass from me.

Bob Probert, first second and third place. Absolute POS who disrespected the game, disrespected the teams that he played on. I read his book (unfortunately, it opened my eyes to so much of what he felt about the game) and he laughed and thought that it was funny that teammate Lee Norwood broke his leg when he hit the boards too hard. Norwood had been critical towards Probie for his multiple drug arrests hurting the team. He also talked about when he went to Chicago he could not wait to go after some former mates with the Wings who ripped on him. Just a vile human being who I feel was the worst human being to have ever played the game. Rest in Peace Probie, but he took from the game, gave nothing back and absolutely was a rotten human being.

Eddie Shore post playing career has been mentioned in numerous threads and deserves mention again.

Theo Fleury had his demons but he squandered a brilliant career and ended up broke. I feel for his situation but would not give him the time of day if I were in the same room with him.

Keenan was a legend in his own mind, he wanted to be Scotty Bowman but instead turned into a caricature of everything that is wrong with ego driven coaches.

This is a great topic, JagerMeister. Cosmonaut Ilya Bryzgalov (though part of the dislike of him is the fault of Flyer management and ownership). He was never real popular with his teammates, either.
Thanks, and anyone could have ended up feeling some sort of dislike for him with the way he performed in Philly....

Off the ice, Billy Tibbets has to take the cake. On the ice, the usual suspects, Avery, Barnaby, Ciccarelli, Dale Hunter, Domi (if for nothing else, refusing to fight Sandy McCarthy back in the day)..BUT Domi may get a pass for knocking out Ulf.

Off the ice, Billy Tibbets has to take the cake. On the ice, the usual suspects, Avery, Barnaby, Ciccarelli, Dale Hunter, Domi (if for nothing else, refusing to fight Sandy McCarthy back in the day)..BUT Domi may get a pass for knocking out Ulf.

Let's not forget Pronger. ;)

Archived