Most Despicable Hockey Player Of All Time (On/Off The Ice)

JagerMeister

Didn't Shane go on to have a decent journeyman career?

Yah, you're right. Dunno how it would have turned out if he'd not been run by Ulfie.

Rangers had another thug in their line-up at about the same time. Jeff Beukeboom was often beaten to pucks dumped behind him. His response was to try and hurt the guy who'ld outplayed him to the puck. He'd run them from behind.

One pre-season, might have been the same one that Ulfie crapped on, there was this huge, ugly woman wearing a Beukeboom jersey at the rink every day. When the practices ended, one of us would get Beukeboom's attention and tell him where his "wife" was waiting.

Kinda juvenile, but I had fun.

Bob Probert, first second and third place. Absolute POS who disrespected the game, disrespected the teams that he played on. I read his book (unfortunately, it opened my eyes to so much of what he felt about the game) and he laughed and thought that it was funny that teammate Lee Norwood broke his leg when he hit the boards too hard. Norwood had been critical towards Probie for his multiple drug arrests hurting the team. He also talked about when he went to Chicago he could not wait to go after some former mates with the Wings who ripped on him. Just a vile human being who I feel was the worst human being to have ever played the game. Rest in Peace Probie, but he took from the game, gave nothing back and absolutely was a rotten human being.

Man, you didn't pull any punches....but gotta agree with that 100%. Easily one of the most selfish players to ever lace them up. It was always all about Bob, the Red Wings took a back seat to drinking, drugs and his massive ego. I have buddies that partied with his brother Norm quite a lot...he was just like Bob, minus the fame and money....a real life loser. I felt really bad for Mr.Illitch, man did he ever give him a LOT of breaks over the year, he rewarded him with yet another in a long line of arrests. Ditto for Jimmy Devellano.

Meh, as much as I hate Barnaby, I don't think of him when the word despicable is thrown out there. I think Tibbetts takes the cake, but there are more than a few players who have acted despicably. Tucker was a dirty SOB. Domi was a joke late in his career. Matt Cooke deserves a mention. Patrick Roy was not a good guy off the ice. Slava Voynov should probably get a nod here, too. Marty McSorley. Todd Bertuzzi. And prepare for the heresy: Bob Clarke for the slash.

Ok I'll bite what slash is it you speak of?  I can only remember one incident involving Clarke and a  dirty Russian Breaking his ankle while trying to kick Clarkes stick out of his hand. :cool[1]:

As for the question at hand , Wayne Maki has to be right up there for nearly killing Ted Green with a vicious stick to Greens head that would have made any wood chopper proud.

No mention of Kovulchuk ?

signs a team crippling contract and then bolts to Russia for even more money ?  that's mercenary and low down, his behavior makes it hard to get excited about Russian prospects.  

Didn't McSorely hit Brashear in the head with his stick swinging it like a sword ? that's pretty despicable . 

Anybody have a site listing most suspensions by player? I know Pronger had eight suspensions... Three more than even the dastardly Cooke...

You were expecting an outpouring of agreement here;)

The OP was looking for on and off the ice.  Strictly on ice - Cooke is at the top of the list.  On and off? Pronger is up there.  Chris Simon was also suspended 8 times in his career (Pronger and Simon are tied for the career lead I believe).  I don't know much about Simon off the ice other than that he struggled with alcohol early on.  

You were expecting an outpouring of agreement here? ;)

The OP was looking for on and off the ice. Strictly on ice - Cooke is at the top of the list. On and off? Pronger is up there. Chris Simon was also suspended 8 times in his career (Pronger and Simon are tied for the career lead I believe). I don't know much about Simon off the ice other than that he struggled with alcohol early on.

He was an example of an underrated dirty bird and in my book he's ahead of Cooke for on ice dastardly deeds thanks to the intentional leg stomping incident.

However, I am legitimately interested in anywhere to see a total suspensions listing. I've seen pieces of lists but nothing truly encompassing.

And prepare for the heresy: Bob Clarke for the slash.

How DARE you, sir. :angry:  Poor sissy Kharlamov. That was a victory for North American hockey, democracy and began the eventual defeat of the Soviet empire, as it eventually led to Reagan telling Gorbachev, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" in Berlin. :D  :ph34r:

Archived