Top 10 Greatest NHL European Hockey Players (Excluding Jagr, Hasek and Lidstrom)

JagerMeister

Since it is already unanimous among hockey fans that Jagr, Hasek and Lidstrom are the three greatest Euro players of all time, so im excluding this to make it more interesting. Besides, their is already an existing topic on the greatest euro of all time.

Here are the players i consider the best after Jagr, Hasek and Lidstrom. but first, some Honourable mentions.

Mogilny, Sundin, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Elias, Sedins, Bure...

10. Pavel Datsyuk

I actually considered adding Bure instead, but while Bure was the greater goal scorer and more exhilarating. Datsyuk's defensive prowess was what made my decision final. won 3 selke's, while amassing atleast 95 points in two of them. Has always been considered one of the best players in the league even until now.

9 Zdeno Chara

Chara was a late bloomer but he has had a great career, he has won a Norris in addition to being a finalist for the Norris twice and was top 5 for the Norris 4 times. Was Boston's best defenseman from his first year up until his decline.

8. Teemu Selanne

Surprised? I am myself, but that's how difficult it is to order this... Selanne's career is one of the greatest for European forwards. Three rocket richards, holds multiple anaheim records as well as most points and goals for a rookie. But what makes Selanne's career simply awe inspiring was his ability to play at an elite level during his twilight years.

7. Peter Stastny

Yes, he's that high. I  believe this man to be one of the most underappreciated hockey players of all time, Was the second leading point producer in the 80s, which is quite the accomplishment competing with offensive dynamo's such as Savard, Yzerman, Bossy, Hawerchuk. I have him higher then Selanne because of this sole reason, would Selanne earn as much recognition against Gretzky and Bossy?

6. Jari Kurri

I believe Kurri to be the better player then Selanne, Yes Gretzky played with the greatest player of all time. That being said, I still believe him to be a HHOF with or without Gretzky. His defensive prowess is far more impressive than Selanne, and offensively Selanne marginally beats him in that facet. Also, Kurri had a far greater playoff career in contrast to Selanne's, which was rather subpar at best for a player of his caliber

5. Borje Salming

The reason I hold him in much higher regard then Chara is due to the fact that his defensive competition is one of, if not the toughest of all time. Potvin, Park and Orr. It's not outrageous to believe he has atleast 1 Norris with Orr out of the equation.

4. Evgeni Malkin

Offensively, only Crosby exceeds him in their generation. Had one of the most dominant playoff runs in the last 20 years, 2 art ross trophies, Conn smythe, MVP, and a pearson. When his career comes to an end, he can be as high as 2 on this list.

3. Peter Forsberg

At their absolute peak, their were few players that rivaled Forsberg's ferocity. Won a hart and an Art Ross, was in conversation as the greatest playmaker during his time and elevated his already beastly game in the postseason. Unfortunately, injuries derailed his career, so i cant bring myself to put Forsberg higher up the list.

2. Sergei Fedorov

One of the greatest two way players of all time, One of the greatest peaks for any player of all time and an exceptional playoff performer. To further go in depth just how phenomenal of a season that was, he was 10 points away from the Art Ross ( Gretzky past his prime, but Gretzky nonetheless..) 3rd in goals and a Pearson, Selke and MVP. He is in all likelihood, the closest player to win all trophies a forward could possibly win in 1 season. Even then, afterwards he was still capable of posting 4 consecutive 20 point playoff runs, a feat accomplished by only 4 players.

1. Alexander Ovechkin

He is the most accomplished player of his decade in terms of individual success, at the age of 29, his career is comparable to that of Hull albeit slightly worse. is already irrefutably considered among the best goal scorers of all time, and his goal scoring does not appear to be declining any time soon.

I am game with that list.

Quite frankly, I think Ovechkin has a good shot at beating Lidstrom for that 3rd spot. Not sure if he will catch Hasek and Jagr though. but he could if he keeps this pace up.

Im curious as to what your rationale is for having Lidstrom placed third? Because IMO out of the three, I believe Jagr would be the most replaceable if they were all to be in one team during their primes.

Im curious as to what your rationale is for having Lidstrom placed third? Because IMO out of the three, I believe Jagr would be the most replaceable if they were all to be in one team during their primes.

Lidstrom is overrated.

Right place, right time and great defenseman with great longevity. but lucky as hell to have fallen into an ideal situation and I still say that was Yzerman's team, and later, Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's moreso than Lidstrom

Lidstrom is overrated.

Right place, right time and great defenseman with great longevity. but lucky as hell to have fallen into an ideal situation and I still say that was Yzerman's team, and later, Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's moreso than Lidstrom

Are you reffering to the fact that Lidstrom was unable to win a Norris until an opportunity presented itself in which he conveniently began winning a multitude of Norris trophies after the decline of superstar defenseman of the 80s and 90s? If that is the case, we may come to an agreement...

Lidstrom is overrated.

reported. One of the best players to ever lace up skates, nothing you can say can change my feelings, so try if you may, but I grew up a few miles from the Joe and witnessed his greatness night in and night out. Only 3-4 other players controlled the flow of a game like he did, he was a true GREAT in every aspect.

reported. One of the best players to ever lace up skates, nothing you can say can change my feelings, so try if you may, but I grew up a few miles from the Joe and witnessed his greatness night in and night out. Only 3-4 other players controlled the flow of a game like he did, he was a true GREAT in every aspect.

Never said he was not great. Just that he is overrated. You have people today arguing he was better than Orr and Bourque for god's sakes lol.

Lidstrom as a distant runner up and then ill agree.

@J0e Th0rnton  Nobody is better than Orr, so that argument holds no water at all for me, Bourque *might* have been slightly better than Lids, but a real tough call...if I had to choose between Lids and Coffey or Potvin, I'd take him anyday....but not Robinson.

I was a bit to young to appreciate Potvin/Robinson, so I can't comment on them. Coffey on the other hand......terrific 4th forward who was average defensively and lucky enough to play with Gretzky/Lemieux.

Bourque on the other hand.....I am trying to picture a prime Bourque with an Yzerman/Fedorov 1-2 punch talent and with better defensive partners and depth like Coffey, Chelios, Larry Murphy and Rafalski instead of Janney/Neely + not much worth mentioning on the lower lines and dreadful defensive depth. Cup city.

I am also picturing some of his better non-Norris but still elite years against Blake, Niedermayer, Chara and older versions of Macinnis/Chelios and picturing Bourque with 10+ Norris trophies.

Their situations were just a night and day difference

Their situations were just a night and day difference

I can agree with that. I also think Scott Neidermayer gets left out a lot of these best ever scenarios...for my money, one of the smartest and talented guys to ever lace up skates AND one of the best skaters of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say lidstrom and ray B are in the same conversation. I loved both their games at different ages. I've never witnessed a Dman with better positional awareness than Lids.

That's my feeling as well. Lids and Bourque are 2 and 3 in my book, but if someone has them flipped then I won't argue. Lidstrom's hockey IQ was off the charts. Gretzky-esque.

Archived