All-Time Carolina Hurricanes Team

ScottM

hurricanes-logo.jpg

I'm back at this after being away from it for a while. I've had a lot of things on my plate, and this kind of fell through the cracks. Anyway, we we'll pick things up again with the Carolina Hurricanes/Hartford Whalers.

First Line: Ray Whitney, Ron Francis, Pat Verbeek

Second Line: Geoff Sanderson, Rod Brind'Amour, Kevin Dineen

Third Line: Sylvain Turgeon, Eric Staal, Blaine Stoughton

Fourth Line: Erik Cole, Mike Rogers, Gordie Howe

First Defensive Pair: Mark Howe, Dave Babych

Second Defensive Pair: Ulf Samuelsson, Glen Wesley

Third Defensive Pair: Justin Faulk, Zarley Zalapski

Goaltenders: Mike Liut Cam Ward Arturs Irbe

Coach: Paul Maurice

I'm really not satisfied with the defensive corps, but I couldn't find a group that really did satisfy me, so I just gave it my best stab. There were a lot of guys who either didn't have particularly distinguished stints with the team or just didn't stay long. The top part of the group is pretty good, but there's a pretty steep decline. An interesting point about this team is that the greatest player to ever play for the franchise is on the fourth line. Of course, by the time he was with the Whalers, he was at the end of his career. Even so, that 96 point season in 1977-78 looks pretty good. If you want to go in a different direction from Mr. Hockey because of his short tenure, I'll give you Jeff O'Neill.

I agree with that lineup, yave. I would take Samuelsson out of there. I never really liked him as a player, and always thought he was borderline dirty. Even though it could be argued that Pronger was also dirty, he brought a larger all-around skill set to the ice. I would replace Samuelsson with Pronger, but other than that, you're spot on.

Archived