Kings' Voynov goes from prison to immigration custody

hf101

ducks_nov_2011-316.jpg

Slava Voynov was taken into custody Wednesday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and is holding the Russian citizen at an unspecified detention facility pending a hearing by an immigration judge, an agency spokeswoman said Thursday.   Voynov had been jailed at the Seal Beach Police Detention Center since July 7 following his no contest plea to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Los Angeles Superior Court.  No Bond was set.

Voynov signed a 6 year $25M contract in 2013 and has been suspended by the league since last year, his NHL future surely is in question.

@hf101   Sharks and Ducks fans must be thrilled. Voynov never got a lot of press or mention, but he was part of the glue that held that world championship defense together. Although there are many more factors than just Voynov, but they have never been the same since he chose to beat on a women....one of the most cowardlly and dispicable acts there is in my books. He should be banned from North America and never be allowed to return.....PFFFFTTTT>>>>no contest = I'm gulitly but not man enough to state it in public....what a wretched excuse for a human being.

@hf101   Sharks and Ducks fans must be thrilled. Voynov never got a lot of press or mention, but he was part of the glue that held that world championship defense together. Although there are many more factors than just Voynov, but they have never been the same since he chose to beat on a women....one of the most cowardlly and dispicable acts there is in my books. He should be banned from North America and never be allowed to return.....PFFFFTTTT>>>>no contest = I'm gulitly but not man enough to state it in public....what a wretched excuse for a human being.

Ill confess. I am crying no tears for him.

He smashed her head into the TV for god's sakes and pretty much made her change her story, presumably by threatening to cut her off financially.

And yeah, he is the kings best Dman after Doughty, so hopefully, they do not get cap relief from the Richards situation AND lose him.

yeah, but aren't immigration laws today much tougher than they were 30 years ago?

Sure are. So are domestic violence laws (and societal reaction to them).

I don't give a rat's ass if Voynov ever plays in the NHL again - I'd be more than happy if he was banned for life.

And I'd be happy if they banned every guy who beat a woman instead of enshrining them as an "all time great."

Here's the problem with Butthead comish and the rest of the NHL powers. 

They turn a blind eye to this stuff ,and hope it go's away and unfortunately it usually does and fans accept these players back.

-

Semyon Varlamov

On the eve of Halloween 2013, Semyon Varlamov, the starting goalie for the Colorado Avalanche, was arrested on domestic violence charges that included second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault in connection with an incident involving his girlfriend. On Nov. 22, he was formally charged with misdemeanour assault and faced up to two years in jail, but one month later the charge was dropped by a Denver judge after prosecutors said they could not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

-

Patrick Roy

The current Avalanche coach was the team's goaltender when he was arrested after his wife called 911 during an argument about in-laws in October 2000. Mrs. Roy was unhurt and the fiery goalie admitted that he'd yanked two doors of their hinges. He was released on bail and the case was later dismissed by a county judge because it did not meet the standard misdemeanor criminal mischief during an act of domestic violence.

-

Ed Belfour

The Stars goalie was involved in a March 2000 incident at a Dallas hotel where security was called after his female companion became frightened by Belfour's drunken belligerence. He grappled with a guard, kicked two police officers, and was blasted with pepper spray. He later offered the cops a billion dollars to not take him to jail. No dice. He ended up pleading guilty, apologizing, and being given two years probation and $3,000 fine

Joe Corvo

The LA Kings blueliner was busted at a Boston eatery in November 2002 after being ejected for grabbing a woman's rump, then returning to punch and kick her. Corvo fled but was apprehended and faced a litany of assault and battery charges to which he pleaded guilty. The Kings suspended him for three games and he took anger management classes, later citing the incident as the turning point of his future.

-

Ziggy Palffy

The Kings forward was arrested in October 2003 during an investigation of domestic battery after a confrontation with his fiance in Manhattan Beach, CA. He was released on his own recognizance. The charge was dropped after the district attorney cited insufficient evidence and decided against filing it. "It's unfortunate that a personal matter had to become public but I appreciate everyone's support and I am glad that I can now put this behind me," Palffy said in a statement

Now these are just some of the ones  involving violence against women and not one of them was banished from the league, so can one conclude Bettman and the NHL owners condone this behavior  by their collective lack of action against these players ? 

Here's the problem with Butthead comish and the rest of the NHL powers. 

They turn a blind eye to this stuff ,and hope it go's away and unfortunately it usually does and fans accept these players back.

-

-

Now these are just some of the ones  involving violence against women and not one of them was banished from the league, so can one conclude Bettman and the NHL owners condone this behavior  by their collective lack of action against these players ? 

The evidence in Varlamov's case pointed to the girlfriend being mad he cut off her credit cards and kicked her out, so she made it up to get back at him.

Not sure about Palffy. But the charges were dropped.

Belfour and Roy live in NA, so they will not likely be deported.

Voynov's case and evidence indicates the wife tried to change her statement after she realized she would potentially cost him millions and be cut off financially, and they had enough evidence to say "Yeah, he definitely did this". Voynov then plead no contest instead of fighting it hoping for a slap on the wrist.

The evidence in Varlamov's case pointed to the girlfriend being mad he cut off her credit cards and kicked her out, so she made it up to get back at him.

Not sure about Palffy. But the charges were dropped.

Belfour and Roy live in NA, so they will not likely be deported.

Voynov's case and evidence indicates the wife tried to change her statement after she realized she would potentially cost him millions and be cut off financially, and they had enough evidence to say "Yeah, he definitely did this". Voynov then plead no contest instead of fighting it hoping for a slap on the wrist.

These ones highlighted along with the others point to the NHL not dealing with these types of incidents ,and by not dealing with I mean allowing these scum bags to still be a part of the NHL. 

Relying on the courts or immigration to banish these low life's is shameful and despicable on the part of the NHL.

The NHL needs to clean up it's own back yard , and by not doing so, again is a form of condoning these types of action.

Fans also condone this type of despicable action by continuing to support teams that employ these low lifes .

Let me ask you Joe, should Roy be a coach in the NHL based on his off ice actions ?

Why has the NHL not already cut Voynov out of the league ?

My guess is that if he is not deported then some NHL team will give him a chance and Bettman and co will give him their blessing.

Again if this is the way this plays out then the NHL will in my opinion be condoning his actions by allowing him to be employed in the league.

Good luck to the team that signs Voynov....talk about a public relations nightmare x10...you will forever be known as the org that is in favour of wifebeating and violence towards women....not good.

Seems to be working in Colorado , with coach and goalie so I can see them adding a defenseman with the same history , Seems Colorado and the NHL have no problem employing these type of players.

Seems to be working in Colorado , with coach and goalie so I can see them adding a defenseman with the same history , Seems Colorado and the NHL have no problem employing these type of players.

The Varlamov situation is completely different. Completely.

The charges were dropped when it was outed that Varlamov's girlfriend was making it up in retaliation for him cutting her credit cards off and kicking her to the curb. Innocent.

Voynov basically told the world he was guilty and did not fight the charges, instead opting to plead no contest AFTER pressuring his wife to recant her story. The problem with recanting was the girl was visibly smashed up and witnesses at the hospital and cops had heard her story before she realized she was going to cost herself a lot of money

The Varlamov situation is completely different. Completely.

The charges were dropped when it was outed that Varlamov's girlfriend was making it up in retaliation for him cutting her credit cards off and kicking her to the curb. Innocent.

Voynov basically told the world he was guilty and did not fight the charges, instead opting to plead no contest AFTER pressuring his wife to recant her story. The problem with recanting was the girl was visibly smashed up and witnesses at the hospital and cops had heard her story before she realized she was going to cost herself a lot of money

Ok lets assume your right, what about all the rest where the NHL has condoned this behaviour , by allowing the players and coaches to continue employment in the NHL.?

and again this is just domestic violence were talking about, and doesn't include the Likes of McTavish, and Heatley, and a long list of others the NHL has welcomed back with open arms.

Ok lets assume your right, what about all the rest where the NHL has condoned this behaviour , by allowing the players and coaches to continue employment in the NHL.?

and again this is just domestic violence were talking about, and doesn't include the Likes of McTavish, and Heatley, and a long list of others the NHL has welcomed back with open arms.

Where does it begin? Where does it end?

How does it get decided which crimes get you blackballed? I am not disagreeing with you, but not just the NHL needs to set an example. The larger sports also need to.

Should it apply to any job, not including professional sports? You get in the news, you are fired? Even if you are later proven innocent?

Why the hell are the laws themselves not punishing these guys more with jailtime? In the case of Voynov, who we can be near certain is guilty of the crime accused, the law IS punishing him and deporting him.

Yet Ray Rice was on Camera knocking his girl out cold, and the police dropped the charges if he agreed to counseling LMAO.

Not sure why Heatley is brought up. Tragic accident that resulted in a death, and not without blame. But speeding while deciding to pedal down to 130 kilometers/hr in a new car is something I think everyone has done at one time or another. Unfortunately in this case, it went very very wrong. He was not drunk or drinking like MacT. He was a kid in a sports car being carefree and reckless and he will live with it for the rest of his life. If it was malicious, or if he had been drinking, then I would advocate throwing him to the wolves until his a**hole was bleeding.

Where does it begin? Where does it end?

How does it get decided which crimes get you blackballed? I am not disagreeing with you, but not just the NHL needs to set an example. The larger sports also need to.

Should it apply to any job, not including professional sports? You get in the news, you are fired? Even if you are later proven innocent?

Why the hell are the laws themselves not punishing these guys more with jailtime? In the case of Voynov, who we can be near certain is guilty of the crime accused, the law IS punishing him and deporting him.

Yet Ray Rice was on Camera knocking his girl out cold, and the police dropped the charges if he agreed to counseling LMAO.

Not sure why Heatley is brought up. Tragic accident that resulted in a death, and not without blame. But speeding while deciding to pedal down to 130 kilometers/hr in a new car is something I think everyone has done at one time or another. Unfortunately in this case, it went very very wrong. He was not drunk or drinking like MacT. He was a kid in a sports car being carefree and reckless and he will live with it for the rest of his life. If it was malicious, or if he had been drinking, then I would advocate throwing him to the wolves until his a**hole was bleeding.

Well I've said about all I'm going to on this subject, however I will finish it off by saying these athletes are roll models for kids and should have a higher degree of accountability put on them for this reason.

Yet Bettman and co keep treating them with kids gloves , and have failed time and time again to show them and every other pro hockey player's and JR player entering the league that these types of actions will not be tolerated , and if they cross the line that is the end of playing in the NHL period end of story.

Archived